Fabric and Quilts, Camping style - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2013, 08:01 AM   #61

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Seattle Fabrics has blanket fleece 68" wide. That's as wide as I've seen it. Another option might be to buy a fleece blanket in the size you want and use that.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #62

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thanks. That is wider than I have found.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #63

Registry
Seattle Fabrics has some great stuff- all kinds of velcro, clear plastic for windows in popups, window screening, you name it.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #64

Name: Janet
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 16
Montana
Coffee and quilts - perfect!

I just stumbled on this part of the forum goodies. I've been mostly reading about Scamp maintenance so far. Quilting is one of my favorite pasttimes. I teach adult ed quilting in the little town I live in. I enjoy seeing other people's projects. Have been pondering what project to take in the Scamp on the next outing that won't take up lots of space. It is an understatement to said I have plenty of UFOs to work on. I like any type of quilting and am looking forward to hand quilting. Love all the pictures of the different fabrics. I am partial to my scraggly old dogs and like dog fabric. The thought of drinking coffee on a cool morning under a lap quilt with a happy dog resting beside me is wonderful!
Janet E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #65

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I wish my grandma were still here. I would use the Southwest fabric and have her make me a quilt for the camper. I have lots of her quilts in my house. She used to make our old clothes into block quilts that were fun to get, so you could see your 9th grade homecoming dress and your brother's bathrobe in the quilt and remember.

CindyL
I grew up making quilt tops the same way,then put them on the frame hung from the ceiling and quilt by hand. I have made all my girls quilt tops from cloths that I made for them as little girls. No longer have quilting bees so they still are not quilted. Right now I am working on a bandana top for one of them,it is made from all of her bandanas from her Girl Scout days. Her son crossed the bridge from cub scouts to boy scouts so in each coner I am going to add his neck scarf from cub scouts.( DSIL suggested that) It will be machine quilted by her sister.

I like to make quilts and blankets that hold special meaning and I beleave this one will top my current list.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:59 PM   #66

Registry
My mom did that, too- she picked a pattern for each of us when we were born and whenever she made a dress for us she cut fabric for a quilt block. Her goal was to finish all five quilts for our weddings- and she did it.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #67

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Burro curtains

This fabric is from Fabricworm.com. I'm planning to use it for curtains in the Burro. I haven't received it yet - 100% cotton. I don't sew a lot but realize I'll need to wash it first and will probably have to line it for privacy. Does anything else jump out as a concern before I plow ahead?
Attached Images

Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #68

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi Sue and Henry,
Your fabric is fabulous! A few thoughts...personally, I find an overall print on curtains can be a bit overwhelming in the tiny eggs. I have attached a photo of my solution. I kept the original curtains that came with my new Scamp because they let in light, but keep privacy. I made side panels of the print fabric. You might also want to consider using the print for 1/2 the windows and a light solid for the rest of the windows. Some people have expressed that cotton fabric may deteriorate in time due to the humid environment that often exists in the eggs. (the original curtains are made from 100% synthetic) You might consider spraying the finished curtains with Scotch Gard to protect them from water damage.

You may, of course, consider this advice or just plow forward and make the cutest little curtains you ever saw!

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 012.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 019.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #69

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Sue,

Fun fabric. We haven't had water damage. guess I would worry if I wanted to keep them for 10 years! Scotch Guard sounds like an interesting idea.

"Overall" print looks fun.

Oh, I didn't like the curtains in ours as full as the original, personal taste. Prefer that they don't take up so much space. I like having as much window to look out of as possible and am often too lazy to use the tie backs I made.

Lining also takes up space and one doesn't need "double" the window width, they would really be full then.

Enjoy however you do it.
Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #70

Name: Tonja
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 1300
North Dakota
I haven't had the urge to quilt in a while, but this brings back the memories of making "the camping quilts" - because there are just some fabrics you don't want in your house but are super fun...

I'm thinking the cowgirl look might be my 2nd theme...doing the beach thing for the 1st theme in my "new to me" camper I just brought home last weekend...great ideas everyone and thanks for sharing!
ndquiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #71

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Sue and Henry,
Your fabric is fabulous! A few thoughts...personally, I find an overall print on curtains can be a bit overwhelming in the tiny eggs. I have attached a photo of my solution. I kept the original curtains that came with my new Scamp because they let in light, but keep privacy. I made side panels of the print fabric. You might also want to consider using the print for 1/2 the windows and a light solid for the rest of the windows. Some people have expressed that cotton fabric may deteriorate in time due to the humid environment that often exists in the eggs. (the original curtains are made from 100% synthetic) You might consider spraying the finished curtains with Scotch Gard to protect them from water damage.

You may, of course, consider this advice or just plow forward and make the cutest little curtains you ever saw!

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Thanks for the thoughts Gilda, Scotch Gard sounds like a great idea. The overall print being overwhelming is a good point too. I'll try draping it first to see how it looks.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #72

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Hi Sue,

Fun fabric. We haven't had water damage. guess I would worry if I wanted to keep them for 10 years! Scotch Guard sounds like an interesting idea.

"Overall" print looks fun.

Oh, I didn't like the curtains in ours as full as the original, personal taste. Prefer that they don't take up so much space. I like having as much window to look out of as possible and am often too lazy to use the tie backs I made.

Lining also takes up space and one doesn't need "double" the window width, they would really be full then.

Enjoy however you do it.
Nancy
I have my fingers crossed that they won't need the lining - but I don't want to change into my pjs with an audience either. I'll try draping 1 1/2 and see how that works at night. Thank you Nancy. :-)
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #73

Registry
I lined my cotton print curtains. I probably prewashed the fabric but don't recall. I have the print to the inside so it gets no sunlight and the lining is white muslin so it should be okay for awhile. When it does wear out I'll make new curtains.

I "broke in" my camping quilt this weekend. It was great! Just right for the recliner though i think I need a pad for the back of the chair, too, for cool days.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM   #74

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I lined my cotton print curtains. I probably prewashed the fabric but don't recall. I have the print to the inside so it gets no sunlight and the lining is white muslin so it should be okay for awhile. When it does wear out I'll make new curtains.

I "broke in" my camping quilt this weekend. It was great! Just right for the recliner though i think I need a pad for the back of the chair, too, for cool days.
Thanks Bobbie. I will use the muslin as you suggested. I figure I'll want a change eventually - do if they wear out then I'll enjoy another fabric search.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #75

Washington
Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3068643152.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	57808

This is what I ended up with. I lined it with white cotton sheet fabric. I way underestimated what I would need though so I've reordered to do the windows at the back end of the trailer.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #76

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Sue, That looks so nice. I like the way light filters through.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #77

Registry
Cute, that turned out really cute and appropriate!
Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 PM   #78

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I stumbled across this fabric site for campers.

camping fabric on Etsy, a global handmade and vintage marketplace.

Hadn't thought of it, but a person could make a matching chef's apron.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #79

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Sue,
LOVE your new curtains! You did an amazing job and the colors coordinate with your stripe fabric and pillows. Welcome to the Glamping Club!
Carl,
Thanks for sharing your fabric find on Etsy. I had no idea you could find fabrics there! I'll definitely be sleuthing this site.
Everyone,
I am currently planning my next glamping decor project for our SCAMP. We will be going to the National Parks in Utah; Bryce, Zion, Canyonlands and Capital Reef. I'm thinking of doing a Southwest theme. I've found that Walmart offers some "bed-in-a-bag" designs with coordinating curtains, that I'd have to modify. kokopelli - Walmart.com Of course, I could go with a desert theme, but it's harder to find fabrics. When we go to Alaska I might use this design tahoe cabin - Walmart.com I'd like to hear about your decorating ideas and suggestions for me.
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #80

Name: Gloria
Trailer: '74 13' Boler
British Columbia
Hello all! I've enjoyed reading your posts about fabrics, and checking out the links provided.
We are working on a '74 boler, and I am excited to do some decorating! I am a quilter, so I have plans to make the curtains, a quilt for the bed (we will probably keep the table down and bed made up), and a couple of quillows for using indoors or outdoors.
I love "glamping" style, but that isn't going to happen until I buy my own trailer!!!
Hubby is not keen on keeping it retro. I have some great Alexander Henry Pinup print (with clothes on!), but he isn't interested in that, either.
I finally got him to agree to some mechanic-style fabrics (from Be A Man line by Douglas Day), and then I got thinking to tie it into the Jeep that we will be towing it with.
Soooo, to make a long story short, I found some perfect Jeep fabric, but need more of it. I have an ad in at MISSING FABRICS, and found some fat quarters, but would really love some yardage.
I was hoping you all could be on the lookout for it for me. It is a VIP Cranston Village print, and it is an older one.
Thanks so much! I hope this link to ebay works
Jeeps on Green Fabric

Moderator's note: Here's the pic -
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep Fabric.jpeg  
quiltgirl40 is offline   Reply With Quote