Flyfishing - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #41

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
Mike you will be able to fish wet at that time of the year no problem,but to be on the safe side I would have a set of waders in case the weather changes. It is better have them and not need them then, need them and not have them.
We will keep in contact about your trip, the ST JOE is my home water, have fished it since 1972 and out of all the places I have fished in the world the JOE is still my favorite.
Mike I was sitting here tying adams (traditional) not parachute size 12 ,I carry both and thought of a book you might like:
Western Mayfly Hatches by Rick Hafele and Dave Hughes this is a great book if you fish in the west and a good read otherwise. Might get you started with what patterns and when, as the date get close I will know the patterns that are working.
Top 10 River Flies in the west.
ADAMS
ROYAL WULFF
GOLD RIBBED HARE'S EAR
MARCH BROWN my next tye
PALE MORNING DUN
STIMULATOR
TUPS INDISPENSIBLE
BLUE WING OLIVE
ELK HAIR CADDIS
WOOL HEAD SCULPIN green for Bull Trout
I will not write about what flies I use but will show anyone.
Tightlines and Clearwater
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:56 PM   #42

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
This picture was taken in Albany, OR on October 9, 2010. While I am not an angler, I can appreciate the skill and beauty of the sport.

Full resolution picture is here: Angler at Monteith Riverpark, Albany | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0286 fx.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Van Snell View Post
This picture was taken in Albany, OR on October 9, 2010. While I am not an angler, I can appreciate the skill and beauty of the sport.

Full resolution picture is here: Angler at Monteith Riverpark, Albany | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Brian
He is doing a roll cast because of no room for a back cast.
Brian it is a fun active sport and not as hard as it looks.
But to get into it ,it is not a cheap hobby.
But I always say " a hobby is something you spend time and money on and never guilt".
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #44

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Quote:
Mike I was sitting here tying adams (traditional) not parachute size 12 ,I carry both and thought of a book you might like:
Western Mayfly Hatches by Rick Hafele and Dave Hughes this is a great book if you fish in the west and a good read otherwise. Might get you started with what patterns and when, as the date get close I will know the patterns that are working.
Top 10 River Flies in the west.
I will not write about what flies I use but will show anyone.
Tightlines and Clearwater
Thanks D!

I carry and fish with very few flies (and agree with "traditional" not "parachute").

Dries (mostly on brookies): Murray's Mr. Rapidan, Elk Hair Caddis.

Nymph: Tunghead Flasback Hare's Ear Nymph.

Streamers: Wooly Buggers (Peach, Olive, Black) - though it's getting tough to find the peach ones.

Having neither the time nor the skill to tie my own, I stick with these reliables to keep the cost managable and because it fits my aesthetic to keep stuff simple. I'm going so far as to pack only a single carry-on bag (admittedly pushing the airlines carry-on envelope) for the trip.

Mike

Mike
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:43 PM   #45

Bc & alberta lakes

Think of going North to BC or Alberta to do some lake fishing.
Example: Whitetail Lake BC,something to float around in a float tube and hope to catch some fish. Would like to know when and where and see if we could put together a nice trip in the Scamp. Would like to buy a fishing permit in one or the other. SO, could use some good ideas.

Clearwater and Tight lines
Old 03-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #46

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe
Hello Dave,
I was excited to see the flyfishing topic here! I'm also a Palouse resident and a novice flyfisher. Locally I've fished the St. Joe several times and Kelly Creek a couple of times. Planning on getting an Idaho and Washington license this year so I can go east also. I haven't spotted other Scamps in the area just several Casitas. I have a 96' Deluxe 16 footer with the front bath and rear dinette. It's been great for my little fishing excursions. If you have any fishing tips for the are let me know, I am learning more everyday.
Debbie Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:07 AM   #47

Coffee pot lake

Coffeepot lake is calling hope to leave on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Waiting for my waders to come back after being fixed at Patagonia, they are installing the new wool line feet. I am looking forward to try them.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #48

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Well, we were in Bishop for the last 4 days, which should have been a nice spring outing. Got hit with that "early spring" storm that moved through California. Friday and Saturday it was too cold and windy to fish so we drove around and explored where the roads didn't have weather closures. Sunday Hubby and friend spent a few hours on the Owens at Five Bridges but the weather was still bad and no fish were caught but there were quite a few dead trout floating in the area. We wonder what caused the die off?

Today on the way home we stopped at the Historical Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery.
Historic Mount Whitney Fish Hatchery - Sierra Nevada Geotourism MapGuide
The building is not open for tours during the week. We will make it back there on a weekend day to tour the beautiful building and see the visitors center.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
Well, we were in Bishop for the last 4 days, which should have been a nice spring outing. Got hit with that "early spring" storm that moved through California. Friday and Saturday it was too cold and windy to fish so we drove around and explored where the roads didn't have weather closures. Sunday Hubby and friend spent a few hours on the Owens at Five Bridges but the weather was still bad and no fish were caught but there were quite a few dead trout floating in the area. We wonder what caused the die off?

Today on the way home we stopped at the Historical Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery.
Historic Mount Whitney Fish Hatchery - Sierra Nevada Geotourism MapGuide
The building is not open for tours during the week. We will make it back there on a weekend day to tour the beautiful building and see the visitors center.
Try to find out why the fish die off. I thank that is real important.
The Owyhee river is fishing OK Northeast Oregon.
Will be fihing Coffeepot lake Washington next week, free camp ground (no power no water and it can get windy). Nice for fishing and birding. In 2 months Rattle snake come out so only fish in the spring.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:27 PM   #50

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Registry
Hi all. I just found this thread. I'm a flyfisher too. Early C&R trout seasons are open here in MN & WI. We're into spring thaw so good water conditions are somewhat hit & miss. I was fishing near Bozeman, MT last week. The East Gallatin was high and muddy. Fished the Yellowstone, Madison and Gallatin and most days it was tough. Had one good day on the Gallatin and found fish rising to midges. Had a little dry action with Griffith's Gnats.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #51

Wa state fishing

Washington state fishing has open for us. Went to Sun Lake state park, Ok we stayed at the resort on the right, cheaper rate free hot showers(had to find the one that worked well and was hot) for now. We fished Dry falls lake, the two days we fished about 7 other boats (or other craft) on the lake. I fished Monday 2 hours in morning and two hours in the evening,very windy but no rain caught 8 fish up to 15 inches used carey special tied with peacock, full sink line. Tuesday the wind stopped and no rain, red wing black birds out, yellow head, four flocks of sand hill cranes flew over 40 to 50 in each flock found large fishing taking emergers, caught the first one on the first cast on a black Chironomid dry fly line, cast for the next 2 hours casting to large trout with no sucess, went into deeper water, intermediate line and caught 7 more fish, the 10-14 jump like crazy did get one 20 inches. OH what fun !!!
Amber lake Saturday then over to Coffeepot lake.
Will report then.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #52

Hard to find a spot

Put a few miles on the Scamp trying to find a place to flyfish, found the little north fork of the CDA. Great camping the little river in great shape and the fish loved dry flies. All the other rivers where way to high and dangerous.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #53

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Quote:
Put a few miles on the Scamp trying to find a place to flyfish, found the little north fork of the CDA. Great camping the little river in great shape and the fish loved dry flies. All the other rivers where way to high and dangerous.

D,
I'm heading to the St. Joe on Saturday. I'll be way upstream (upstream from Red Ives) and hope that the flow is more manageable up there. Maybe I'll be stuck fishing the feeder creeks for brookies, but maybe the combination of upstream and another 5-10 days will result in more favorable conditions.

Mike
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #54

The joe

The road from St Regis to the Joe closed, also the road to Red Ives closed.
Fishing above avery OK but the flows are very high. We will be on the Joe Monday or Tuesday for a week, but may bail to another river. Call the fly shop in avery, IDAHO FLYFISHING COMPANY 208 245 1052 talk to Dan or Beth. We have alot of water in the Inland NW we just visited alot of rivers to find 1 that was very fishable,but we found one that was great.
DAVE
PS the flow USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 12414500 ST JOE RIVER AT CALDER ID
over 4 times normal
Old 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
D,
I'm heading to the St. Joe on Saturday. I'll be way upstream (upstream from Red Ives) and hope that the flow is more manageable up there. Maybe I'll be stuck fishing the feeder creeks for brookies, but maybe the combination of upstream and another 5-10 days will result in more favorable conditions.

Mike
Mike all the roads are open, so go over Gold pass from
St. Regis
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #56

Mike how was the fishing on the JOE. I fished the Joe and CDA and had good fishing on both. I heard you stopped by the SCAMP but as always I was fishing. Hope to see you on a river one day.
DAVE
Old 08-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #57

World class

All the rivers on West side of the bitteroot mountains are at there best right now. Get out and do some fishing. NOW
Old 08-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #58
LLN

Name: Linda
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft 2010
Pennsylvania
Registry
Fly-fishing Montana Trip

Oh great! A topic near and dear to me. Currently loading up for a trip to the Bitteroots in Montana for a hosted fly fishing trip second week in September. Our local fly fishing store, the Yellow Breeches Outfitters has a hosted trip every year. This year it is in Hamilton, Montana. Since, I have never really used the new Scamp. I am now sorting out where things are suppose to go/that is, stored inside. Most importantly, where the fly rods, waders, boots, net and the good stuff is going. Oh yes, and two Golden Retrievers. I would enjoy hearing about others experiences fly fishing and sharing locations to go.
LLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #59

Name: Jerry & Patty
Trailer: Casita SD 17
Texas
Quote:
If we have people interested in FLYFISHING we can exchanges ideas here.
DAVE

If you're in our area don't miss this event:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ous-49259.html
Jerry-n-Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:16 PM   #60

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian in maritimes View Post
Being a brand new member I was surfing around the site and was delighted to find a fly fishing group. I have been an avid (my wife says addicted) fly fisher for 55 years. I am a forester by training and because of my job I've had the opportunity to fish around.

In Nova Scotia we fish primarily Atlantic salmon, brook trout and sea run rainbow and browns. One of my fav. spots is reindeer lake in northern Sask. where some very big pike make home.

I'm really starting to love this site and all because my wife and I bought an old Trillium....who would have guessed
I hadn't been paying attention to this thread so I went through and read all the posts tonight. And this post got me wondering -- was the pike fishing done with flies? I've never heard of fly fishing for pike, is it done?

Other than the one fly fishing day I'd mentioned early on, my fishing has otherwise been with crawlers or (mostly) with artificial lures. I guess I'd have to buy a book if I wanted to fly fish... to learn about the different bugs that hatch and what flies mimic them. Those of you who grew up on this method have a huge advantage, right? I'd be curious to hear how many flies you veterans of the sport possess.

Gotta tell a story, not fly fishing so I hope you don't mind. My older brother and I went on a Michigan lake near Oscoda about 4-5 years ago for some casting and trolling. I had my usual spincasting reel (I grew up with that kind and still prefer the thumb button control) but Dave had one of those new baitcasting reels with the magnets in it to control backlash. I admired it but commented to him that I'd never be able to cast an open reel like that. "Try it," he said as he handed it to me, "it won't backlash on you like the old ones would." "Are you sure?" I said skeptically, but he insisted so I went ahead and gave it a cast........ and the reel snarled the line all up in a huge backlash. He looked at it in amazement as I handed it back to him. "Thanks," I said, "but I'll stick with my kind of reel." He spent the next 10 minutes unsnarling the line while I fished. We had a good time that day, he has a great sense of humor and we're always joking back and forth.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote