Old 01-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #71

Name: Ken
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Rod Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marg View Post
I use PVC pipe, about 3' diameter with caps on each end. Fly rod in sock in pipe...
Hi Marg
Would you happen to have a picture to post?
Thanks

Old 01-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #72

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
fly fishing

Ken, no pic, RV not available during winter, in storage. But I am certain that you will be able to figure out what I told you. Measure the length of your rod, 3-4-5 pieces in the sock, diameter you should be able to tell by holding the sock in your hand plus about 1". In other words if sock had the rod inside, hold the end and eye-ball the diameter then measure the length of your rod in the sock, buy pipe plus caps for the ends and assemble. I did not glue the end cap on just in case the rod got too far into the pipe, that way I could remove the other end and retrieve the fly rod. This container will work with any type of fishing rod that can be taken apart. The sock is not necessary, but makes a nice cushion for the rod when in any container. Good luck. Some VELCRO comes with a sticky side which is handy. I glued the VELCRO to the pipe but used the sticky side on the carpet on the lip of the shell. A fun rainy day project. Marg

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #73

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
glad this thread is still alive.
planning on teaching the wife this year. she has made noises about wanting to learn.
thought we would get a couple 4-5 wieght set ups to keep in the trailer.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #74

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian in maritimes View Post
Mike I missed your post - apologies. Yes we fish for pike with flies and a steel or titanium leader (they have nasty teeth). I use Bunny flies, leeche patterns and mouse imitations. You have to go in the spring just after the ice goes out and the big females are in shallow enough water to use a fly. Once they go back down into deeper water you will mostly catch little hammerheads (males). If I can ever figure out how to attach a photo I will post the flies I tie for pike.

Cheers Brian
never tried pike..thats cool.
up here in michigan, mostly on lake st. claire we fly for muskie. thats quite an arm load when you tie into one of those bad boys
Old 03-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #75

Michigan
mmmm just ordered a new 4 wt set up. lights i had was 7wt.

and, been drooling a mite over a little 2 wt that keeps flirting with me,,,, she keeps winking her drag at me...
Old 03-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #76

Michigan
well, got out my fly tying stuff, figured i might as well get back into it . haven't tied in about ten years. but heck sense i got everything already it won't cost much right?
ok so i took a begining tying class at basspro just to freshen up, and was surprised at how much i remembered, it really encouraged me.
did a little shopping and $70 later left. thank god i already had everything i need to tie fly's or it could have gotten costly.
so i decided i would practice tying adams, as it was a standard fly, that i will use frequently.

i have decided thea 8/0 thread was created by satan himself....
first off i need a bobbin threader to thread my bobbin threader...
and the dang stuff is so skinny that when i do get my fingers on it it snaps off in my hands....
secong i decided,,,that though at one time in my life i could tie an #18 or #20 adams in about a minute....once you reach your 60's, it can take 10 or 15 minutes to tie a #8 and it looks more like a woolly bugger on LSD.<_<

all that being said,,,i am having fun, and am sure as soon as i practice enough so my hands have more sensitivity then say a ,,,smoked ham,,,
i'm sure i will do fine.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #77
Min

Name: Gord
Trailer: Recently purchased an original 13' Trillium, that still needs a name!
British Columbia
Registry
Fly tying

I just finished running a "basic fly tying" course at our local Rod and Gun Club.

None of them had ever tied a fly before, plus, we were doing this in the Clubhouse. People coming in and out, everyone talking, me trying to show what to do. Great time.

You should have seen some of the first attempts!! But, by the last session we were doing damsels with chain eyes and "chromies"

It sure does take practice though!
Old 03-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #78

Michigan
good thiing is every fly wil work on something,,,if it isn;t a good enough adams to take a trout,,,,it will probably still take a bluegill
Old 04-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #79

Michigan
Hey!!!!!

Wake up out there! 3 weeks till trout opener here in michigan.

we have over 12,000 miles of rivers and streams in michigan, a huge number of them are designated trout streams, vast stretches of fly only water. the ausauble, the piere marquette, the pigeon and black are all streams fly fishing folks dream about being on some day. theres a little known stream in the northern suburbs of detroit that has sections with as many as 600 brookies per mile. and not very many fish it.
i'm going to hire a guide this year to take me flats fishing for carp on traverse bay, sposed to be as much fun as you can have standing up with a fly rod in your hand.
and over in lake st.clair i know a guy that targets musky on a fly...gotta try that one too.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:43 PM   #80

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
My wife and I were out for a motorcycle ride in July and fly fished the Bitterroot near Stevensville...got 2 nice ones...

We love 2 fish...both of us!

Steve & Margarita
Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #81

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Fly fishing

Three weeks ago I went for a drift boat ride down the Klamath River from Orleans, Humboldt county, CA down to Big Bar. Ken, the owner, and I each caught about 8 1/2 pounders, a popular term for steelhead ranging in size from 1-4 pounds. All fish were released back into the river. The exciting event of the day, plus the beautiful scenery were the salmon schools that were going upriver as we drifted downriver. They would roll next to the boat, we could see the dorsel fin and then the back and then with a slap of their tail they would return themselves to the deeper part of the river. We went through three schools that we could see. Very exciting. Lots of salmon in the Klamath River this year. We were both using light fly fishing lines and small flies for the steelhead. Salmon will take flies of a different type.
Marg Looks like a fly fisherman, maybe someday someone will come up with a fly "fisherlady."
Old 04-16-2014, 10:33 PM   #82

Very nice fishing story, thanks for sharing. I have fly fished for many years, mostly for king salmon and on the Smith River. Many enjoyable hours in a great environment.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #83

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
I met a one armed man fly fishing. i was dumbfounded. I asked him if he caught anything, and he replied, "I caught one that big" as he held up one hand.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #84

Name: Josh
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alabama
New guy here. I enjoyed reading this thread and imagining some these beautiful places you guys mentioned. I am stuck in the Deep South which would be a nuisance to a dyed in the wool trout fisherman. Thankfully, the Gulf Coast is only 4 hours away. I enjoy fly fishing for Redfish in the bayous of Louisiana, chasing speckled trout in St. Joe Bay, Florida and many other species around the coast. Tight Lines.