Flyfishing - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 08:14 AM   #81

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Fly fishing

Three weeks ago I went for a drift boat ride down the Klamath River from Orleans, Humboldt county, CA down to Big Bar. Ken, the owner, and I each caught about 8 1/2 pounders, a popular term for steelhead ranging in size from 1-4 pounds. All fish were released back into the river. The exciting event of the day, plus the beautiful scenery were the salmon schools that were going upriver as we drifted downriver. They would roll next to the boat, we could see the dorsel fin and then the back and then with a slap of their tail they would return themselves to the deeper part of the river. We went through three schools that we could see. Very exciting. Lots of salmon in the Klamath River this year. We were both using light fly fishing lines and small flies for the steelhead. Salmon will take flies of a different type.
Marg Looks like a fly fisherman, maybe someday someone will come up with a fly "fisherlady."
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #82

Very nice fishing story, thanks for sharing. I have fly fished for many years, mostly for king salmon and on the Smith River. Many enjoyable hours in a great environment.
BradPosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:42 PM   #83

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I met a one armed man fly fishing. i was dumbfounded. I asked him if he caught anything, and he replied, "I caught one that big" as he held up one hand.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:25 PM   #84

Name: Josh
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alabama
New guy here. I enjoyed reading this thread and imagining some these beautiful places you guys mentioned. I am stuck in the Deep South which would be a nuisance to a dyed in the wool trout fisherman. Thankfully, the Gulf Coast is only 4 hours away. I enjoy fly fishing for Redfish in the bayous of Louisiana, chasing speckled trout in St. Joe Bay, Florida and many other species around the coast. Tight Lines.
AUJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #85

Name: Rae
Trailer: Boler
Ohio
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
Northern Michigan and the UP have some wonderful trout streams. My husband and I both flyfish. One of our favorite spots is Canoe Harbor state forest campground where we fish the holy waters of the Au Sable river near Grayling, MI.
One of my favorite spots!!! I love wading from Guides Rest to Gates Fly Shop. The absolute best is a night float tho; big Brownies come out to play!
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:35 PM   #86

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19' /2010 Honda Pilot 4WD TV
Escondido, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdy View Post
One of my favorite spots!!! I love wading from Guides Rest to Gates Fly Shop. The absolute best is a night float tho; big Brownies come out to play!
I've also fished the Au Sable river near Grayling to about 20 miles downstream canoe floating but now spend a lot of time fly fishing the surf in California for corbina. BTW, my avatar picture was taken on the Bitterroot River in Montana while on a 6,000 mile motorcycle trip...another story!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #87

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
I'm bumping this thread because, well, I'm always happy to have a fly fishing discussion going on, but also because there are a couple of specific places mentioned that I'm curious about. Or more specifically, curious about whether you do - or would - take your trailers there.

At post #38, there's a mention about 25 miles of gravel on a road accessing the St. Joe River. I've not been on that road, but it definitely is one I intend to visit and camp on when I have the time. It sounds like the post is made from experience, with a trailer, and I'm wondering if it's essentially just a go-slow proposition. That post is more than five years old, but does anyone have comment about it, or other similar roads? And, at post #32, there's a comment on the Green River road, but sounds like it was traveled without a trailer. I've driven that road, in (I think) a 2WD rental SUV (Kia Sportage, IIRC), but wasn't really checking it out for access while towing trailer. There were certainly wheeled campers at the end, but maybe TCs and pop-ups, as well as tents; just don't remember. And this summer I was on Rock Creek Road east of Missoula, which I've previously fully traveled in little rental sedans as well as a decent SUV, and, even though there's a sign saying something like "not suitable for RVs" I saw at least one popup, a small travel trailer, and a utility trailer loaded with camping gear. My inexperienced view was that the road bed was OK, but there was one spot that was a tight blind turn that could be trouble (we only went upstream 10-12 miles past pavement).

I guess my general question is, are there roads you won't take your trailer down (I mean "mostly maintained" USFS roads - there are 5-6 campgrounds with water and toilets past the "not suitable for RVs" sign on Rock Creek Road), or such roads you've later wished you didn't go down? And was the fishing worth it?
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #88

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Wow. How did I miss this thread. I'm going back with my Casita and my 9wt to Sebastian. Usually go for two weeks after Christmas. Here's a pic from last year.
Attached Images

Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:06 PM   #89

Georgia
Hope you enjoy it, Gordon. My sister's a few miles south of there, and all I've managed to do when visiting is sneak off to the beach where I've casted while enjoying the sunrise. No accommodating fish. Does seem to be some wading south of the inlet, and I'll hit that next time. But you seem to have a little more mobility going. Even better.
Old 12-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #90

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1482085747.295589.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	101776
Made a tie station for a few tools.
Picked up a Fenwick eight weight rod at a yard sale. What do I now need for a reel? This will be used mainly for northern pike and large mouth bass in the weed beds.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:17 PM   #91

Georgia
James, assuming that the Fenwick is a fiberglass rod from the 60's or 70's, there should be a model number FFxx or FFxxx, depending on when, which will reveal more info. I'm going to guess that it's 8'6" and a usual reel in those days was a Medalist, probably a model 1495. You can troll the used market, but the Medalist name is now a Chinese production, still a decent reel I hear, and I think Bass Pro Shop carries them. But the rod shouldn't be too picky, just anything that seems to balance well with it and will hold the line you want. At least I think so; bass I've met are mostly just stripped in, but pike will have to wait until I'm tooling around in a trailer.

More info on the rod, and reel suggestions, can be found at http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

Have fun.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #92

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Trout in Missouri!

There are three state parks in SW Missouri that stock trout. Bennett Springs, Montauk and Roaring River. The rivers come up from huge springs, very clean and cold. It's not the West or even the Smokies and you won't be out of sight of other folks even in the catch and release areas. Still, it's fun and in an area where there aren't a lot of choices other than tailwaters of dams. The campgrounds are nice enough, standard state park fare. It's all well organized, daily tags required, out of state license and all that. Apparently the hatchery/stocking program is supported by the fees. There is a reduced fishing schedule during the winter months and felt soled boots are not permitted (diddymo.) https://mostateparks.com/activity/fishing Lots of other scenic rivers in that part of the Ozarks.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:16 PM   #93

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
James, assuming that the Fenwick is a fiberglass rod from the 60's or 70's, there should be a model number FFxx or FFxxx, depending on when, which will reveal more info. I'm going to guess that it's 8'6" and a usual reel in those days was a Medalist, probably a model 1495. You can troll the used market, but the Medalist name is now a Chinese production, still a decent reel I hear, and I think Bass Pro Shop carries them. But the rod shouldn't be too picky, just anything that seems to balance well with it and will hold the line you want. At least I think so; bass I've met are mostly just stripped in, but pike will have to wait until I'm tooling around in a trailer.

More info on the rod, and reel suggestions, can be found at http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

Have fun.

Hi Fishing Bob
The pole is stencilled
Fenwick Woosdtream
International
Composite

IFC-8
8'-6
Made in Canada
Fly Line NO 8

It appears to be in unused condition. I picked it up at a yard sale for $10.. Will check out the Medalist.
I have three lighter (5-6 weight) poles, bamboo, glass and a graphite that I use on local streams.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #94

Georgia
I think that's later, from the early 80's, when the brand started to change hands a lot, but still early enough to be in good control by the right folks, although the "made in Canada" might place it in some slightly earlier Fenwick-Woodstream deal. One way or another, should be a lot of good fishing for $10.
Old 05-09-2018, 05:55 PM   #95

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Inland Northwest

The fishing in Idaho and Montana will be late this year. Good snow pack and rain have made my favorite rivers high and muddy. Might be mid June till the river get to floating and fishing shape.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #96

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Just came out of the St. Joe fishing was B+. A mile below camp ran into a grey and a black wolf crossing the river 50 yards away very exciting. My wife and I both fly fish we have taken our 16 foot scamp into some wonderful fishing in the back country most of the time no problems.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:44 PM   #97

Name: Scott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alaska
Mimi introduced me to fly fishing around 1958, I was 7. She was teaching me with her bamboo rod. I learned to use flies and garden hackle with that rig.
We got TV that fall and I saw American Sportsman for the first time as well as Lowell Thomas, Jr. I was hooked on all forms of fishing and hunting. My goal was to the Yooperland and see the west and Alaska. I’ve lived a dream so far, and will continue until I’m cremated.
Sisu is offline   Reply With Quote