Flyfishing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #21

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette Deluxe / 1997 Toyota T-100
Just came off the St Joe river the fishing was very good. Back home for a new axle on the SCamp then off to the Henry's fork of the snake. Will report when we return.
D Tharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:42 PM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
We can't be the only two FFers here?
I only fish dry flies - love to see the take. I fished commercially for a couple of years and swore I would never fish again - until a friend introduced me to dry flies on the Madison in Yellowstone.

Just got back from three weeks camping on the Upper McCloud River in N.Cal. Free stone bottom , cataracts and holes, 3 waterfalls with big, deep pools - hard wading but beautiful. Some of the prettiest water anywhere.

All of the hardware and bait spin casters were grumbling because F&G wasn't planting any more. I was ecstatic! Had a 22 fish day and many other days in double digits. Prettiest fish I landed (and released) was a 13 inch Red Band (native variant of a rainbow). Also nice Brookies, Rainbows and some Browns. Most of the fish were in the 7 to 12 inch range, but fun. For you nymphers the big fish are in the Lower McCloud, below the reservoir.

If you are going to fish the Upper McCloud you have to stop in Dunsmuir at Ted Fay's Fly Shop and buy some #14 and #12 Skinny Yellow Humppies. Tell Bob that Tom said "Hi!"

Kept enough for dinner a few of the days. We were in a US Forest Service Camp ground so our dinner toast was "$7.50 a night and a free Trout dinner."

Can it get any Better?

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Sounds wonderful Tom! I'm a dry fly person too. People keep telling me to go to the dark side and try nymphing (again) that it is more productive but I love to see the take even if they miss. I sometimes fish a dropper, that's as close to sub water fishing as I go except when my dry fly isn't dry anymore.

We really need to get out for a fishing trip but life seems to be in the way of that right now.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Sounds wonderful Tom! I'm a dry fly person too. People keep telling me to go to the dark side and try nymphing (again) that it is more productive but I love to see the take even if they miss. I sometimes fish a dropper, that's as close to sub water fishing as I go except when my dry fly isn't dry anymore.

We really need to get out for a fishing trip but life seems to be in the way of that right now.
Lizbeth,

Know what you mean about the dark side. To me it isn't the fish, its the fishing... I have fished a drop a couple of times - out of desperation - on the Truckee between town and the airport. Actually landed a 13 incher, the only nymph catch for me ever.

If you are in the Shasta area in Sept or Oct I will be Camp Host at Cattle Camp camp ground - USFS. It is 10 miles east of McCloud on Hwy 89. Look me up and I'll introduce you to the Upper McCloud.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:53 PM   #25

Flyfishing part1

This has been a very good summer for flyfishing my favorite area to camp and fish, the western side (Idaho) of the Bitteroot mountains. I will try to write about 3 of the best, and encourage others to visit these areas. The first place I will mention is the North Fork of the Clearwater river/ Kelly Creek area. This is reached from the south Idaho RT 12 using ID 11 thur Weippe and Pierce Idaho with pavement all the way to the river but driving up river will be on gravel. You can also enter from the south from Orofino using the Crangemont road also paved all the way to the river. From the North on Intersate 90 at Superior Montana ask for directions over the mountain not paved all the way to the river (their was a bridge being worked on this section of road so call before you use this way in ) . The towns mention are the last services except water you will see until you leave. This will take you into the Clearwater National Forrest Forest Service Clearwater National Forest in Orofino, Idaho. this will provide with info about the area. On the river you will find many lightily use very nice camp grounds with water and nice bathrooms and some areas that are great if you are self contained. The fishing is for Cutthroat and has been very good (Dry fly) all summer once the water levels went down witch was late due to rains in the spring. We start out with large flies and every new month go down a hook size until the October Caddis hatch. I will be returning to this area for the October Caddis hatch which is so much fun. Small RVERs fit very well in the campgrounds. http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/V...f_corridor.pdf
The fish will be founds in all age classes (this is a wild trout river) with large fish being 18 . Tightlines and great vistas.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #26

Trailer: Boler 1984
A couple of weeks ago I came across an 8'-6'' bamboo rod at a flea market. The seller said that it was from about 1940. I disagreed and stated that it was closer to 1970 but purchased it anyways. After getting it home I found a made in Japan printing on the handle and decided that they wouldn't be trading with N America at that time and maybe my original time line was closer to the fact. Then I found that the tip was broken and needed some repair. I have dismantled the rod and am re-wrapping it. I still think that it will make a nice 5-6 weight rod. The local tackle shop wanted $9.00 per eyelet so here's my homemade jig.
Attached Thumbnails
006 (1280x855).jpg  
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #27

Registry
James, we have a few old bamboo rods that need to be repaired. We just haven't gotten to it yet, I wonder if we will. We've had them for many years and they are still sitting in the tubes.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #28

Name: Brian
Trailer: trillium 4500, 1977
Nova Scotia
Smile

Being a brand new member I was surfing around the site and was delighted to find a fly fishing group. I have been an avid (my wife says addicted) fly fisher for 55 years. I am a forester by training and because of my job I've had the opportunity to fish around.

In Nova Scotia we fish primarily Atlantic salmon, brook trout and sea run rainbow and browns. One of my fav. spots is reindeer lake in northern Sask. where some very big pike make home.

I'm really starting to love this site and all because my wife and I bought an old Trillium....who would have guessed
brian in maritimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
not sure how I missed this one...but I have been fly fishing since my college days....I spend several weekends a year in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park fishing the streams for brookies and rainbows.

This past year I pulled my '78 Boler
matt scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #30

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
I have been fly fishing Alberta since 1976. All of that time I have tented until summer 2011 when I plan to have my Boler ready for the road. Any of you out there Alberta fisherpeople? It took me thirty years or so but I have managed to land a few 40 plus centimeter trout in the past couple of years from the Bow. This past summer my son (22 years old) beat my current record. If only I had a teacher like me in 1976.
Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #31

Trailer: Bigfoot (25B21FB) / 2002 Ford F-150 5.4L V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
Just came off the St Joe river the fishing was very good. Back home for a new axle on the SCamp then off to the Henry's fork of the snake. Will report when we return.
D,
I'll be going with St. Joe Outfitters to their lodge back in the wilderness area on the upper St. Joe in July 2011, and hate tp pack more than I need (the last 5 miles is on horseback). I'm a pretty hardy wader (wade wet in the Bridger Teton wilderness last year, and typically wade wet from Mar- Nov in the mountain streams in Virginia). Do you think I'll need waders on the upper St. Joe in July?

Mike D.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #32

Registry
Mike, where did you fish in Bridger? We have been there twice staying with a friend that has a place at the end of Highway 352 right before the road turns to dirt at the edge of the wilderness. We drove up Green River Lake Road and fished the Green all the way to the Green River Lakes, we also fished Dollar Lake. Such a beautiful area!

Here is me with a fish in that area.
Attached Thumbnails
liz_wyoming.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Mike, where did you fish in Bridger? We have been there twice staying with a friend that has a place at the end of Highway 352 right before the road turns to dirt at the edge of the wilderness. We drove up Green River Lake Road and fished the Green all the way to the Green River Lakes, we also fished Dollar Lake. Such a beautiful area!

Here is me with a fish in that area.
Liz,
It looks like it was a great day on the Green. I've fished it where it comes out of Flaming Gorge in the Uintas.

In Bridger Teton we were about 60 miles NNE of Dollar Lake on a hiking trip on the Buffalo Fork of the Snake - though there is an RV campground at the trailhead at Turpin Meadows. Here's a link to the hike map: Soda Fork Meadow - Google Maps. The cutts were large, dumb, and cooperative - the ideal fish for someone who only gets out west once a year.

We had gone to Soda Fork Meadow with a guide a few years ago on a trip into the Thoroughfare that got cut short because of June snow at the Divide. So this time, we figured "we don't need no stinkin' outfitter" and lugged our own packs the short 5 miles in. Needless to say, the combination of being an Easterner not accustomed to elevations over 2000', and being an inefficiant packer is making me rethink this "outfitterless" approach!

Mike
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #34

Registry
I have never been a hiker, could never comfortably carry a backpack. So we do day trips to explore an area. It does limit where we can get to but it is what it is. I would like to do a pack trip someday and let the horses or mules carry me and the gear! But now sleeping on the ground is kind of out too due to health reasons.

Be sure to post pictures of your trip, I would love to see them.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
D,
I'll be going with St. Joe Outfitters to their lodge back in the wilderness area on the upper St. Joe in July 2011, and hate tp pack more than I need (the last 5 miles is on horseback). I'm a pretty hardy wader (wade wet in the Bridger Teton wilderness last year, and typically wade wet from Mar- Nov in the mountain streams in Virginia). Do you think I'll need waders on the upper St. Joe in July?

Mike D.
Mike Bring the waders very light wieght, But in July you can wade wet, but the river is cold and you will miss out fishing all day long.
I will be on the JOE I hope next week for just a day trip.
Will be on the JOE for at least 2 weeks, July 11 to 17 at flyflat campground not far from where you will be, and after that lower down at Tin Can Campground.
Mike what dates will you be there.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:55 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Tharp View Post
Mike Bring the waders very light wieght, But in July you can wade wet, but the river is cold and you will miss out fishing all day long.
I will be on the JOE I hope next week for just a day trip.
Will be on the JOE for at least 2 weeks, July 11 to 17 at flyflat campground not far from where you will be, and after that lower down at Tin Can Campground.
Mike what dates will you be there.
Thanks D! That's just what I needed to know.

I'll be going in on the 10th and coming out on the 15th. It'll lilkely be mid-late afternoon when we're going by Fly Flat on the 15th (after the 5-mile horseback ride out from the lodge). I think I'm the only guest returning that day, so I'll try to get the shuttle driver to stop for a moment for introductions. Then if you're ever out east, I'll introduce you to a large number of >20" 5+ lb. cooperative rainbows (stockies though) on 2 1/2 miles of private stream in the Virginia highlands where I boondock with my Bigfoot.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Thanks D! That's just what I needed to know.

I'll be going in on the 10th and coming out on the 15th. It'll lilkely be mid-late afternoon when we're going by Fly Flat on the 15th (after the 5-mile horseback ride out from the lodge). I think I'm the only guest returning that day, so I'll try to get the shuttle driver to stop for a moment for introductions. Then if you're ever out east, I'll introduce you to a large number of >20" 5+ lb. cooperative rainbows (stockies though) on 2 1/2 miles of private stream in the Virginia highlands where I boondock with my Bigfoot.
Mike you will be able to fish wet at that time of the year no problem,but to be on the safe side I would have a set of waders in case the weather changes. It is better have them and not need them then, need them and not have them.
We will keep in contact about your trip, the ST JOE is my home water, have fished it since 1972 and out of all the places I have fished in the world the JOE is still my favorite.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #38

Flyfishing part 2

If you read part 1 then you know my wife and I flyfish and camp much of our time on the western side of the Bitteroot mountains. So here is another Idaho mountain gem the St. Joe river. This is my home waters and my favorite place to fish. It is West Slope Cutthrout trout fishing and we all know Cutthrout live in the cleaness water, the St Joe is gin clear. The water quality has had a slight decline ( I no longer drink it with out using a filter) but still very clean. There are 3 ways into the St Joe river (which runs East to West) the first at the west end is where the St Joe mouth is at the town of St. Maries Idaho St. Maries Chamber of Commerce - 2007 . This for me is early season fishing for the first 25 miles of river I use streamers and some nymphs ( that is not to say that later in the year I will fish this area with dries later in the season) for this early season. The next 25 miles takes us to Avery Idaho Avery, Idaho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . So for the next way to the St Joe is at Wallace(food and fuel) Idaho (exit 62 Idaho) on Interstate 90 over moon pass to Avery Idaho (25 miles of gravel but not to bad) on the way you pass the Hiawatha bike trail Route of the Hiawatha Bike Trails, Idaho one of the U.S. best bike trails.
In avery there is a fly shop Home - Idaho Fly Fishing Company stop in (say hi to Dan and Beth) they have the best Huckleberry Milk shakes. Above Avery is no bait and barbless hooks required. This section, up river of Avery (some food and fuel) next 25 miles is my most productive area. This is dry fly heaven, every month that we fish the patterns go down 1 hook size. This now brings us to Gold creek where it flows into the St Joe this point can be accessed from St Regis Montana (fuel and food) Exit 33 Montana Interstate 90 this is gravel but good road over the pass to the river. At this point the river turns south becoming a smaller river easy to wade. There are many camp ground along the river Idaho Panhandle National Forest- Home/ and St. Joe National Forest Campgrounds this is a wonderful place for adventure fishing, bike trails,hikes and wildlife, so till I see you on the Joe Tight lines and Clearwater
Old 02-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #39

Registry
Dave, thanks! We may have time this summer and may see your part of the country. If we start up that way I'll be asking about patterns. Great addition to the thread.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom U View Post
Dave, thanks! We may have time this summer and may see your part of the country. If we start up that way I'll be asking about patterns. Great addition to the thread.
Any time Tom, if I go your way I'll send a note.