Genealogy, anyone else interested? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #15

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile My Genealogical trip.

I have been doing this for thirty years. I use Heritage Family Tree and it is creaking at 3308 individuals entered. Of course, I do have a lot of sources.

Our library allows us home access via the internet to Heritage Quest microfilms of the Censuses. Also I have visited the National Archives in Sand Point near Seattle. I am also able to search newspapers through newspaper archive. This is great for infomation on persons later than 1930, the last census year released. In 2012, the 1940 census should be released.

The most helpful census is the 1900 because it lists the month and year of each person's birth. Also the number of children and number living for each wife.

Of course you have to know something about the families, where they lived and the names of the family members.

Computers are wonderful for this. I was missing one family in the 1910 census, so I searched the whole country instead of just Wisconsin. It turned out they were living in St Louis during the 1910 census.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:35 PM   #16

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
I use ancestry.com. I have been working to put together documentation for membership to the Daughters of the American Revolution. My mom's family has interesting background, from native American, to a surveyor for George Washington to an alleged ancestor who was on the Mayflower. We took the last two year's vacation trips in our VT to visit some of the locations, central PA, two Civil War battlefields that had relatives of mine who fought there, Plymouth, and a cemetery in PA full of chiggers.

I have also been supplementing with DNA. Last week, I found a cousin using the Family Finder DNA test.

I found another cousin also who is related somehow, although we can't figure out where or how, on my father's German side. He got me going on the German ancestors. He also threw out a surname that was one of my husband's names, so I worked on his line too. Turns out that the hubby's German ancestors and mine came from the same area of Germany. If I keep going, I might find we are be related.

CindyL

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #17

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Wow Roger 3308? I am going to check to see what Los Angeles Co. library has available to help with the search. That's my "local" library system.

Cindy, one of my friends interest in joining DAR started my interest in doing genealogy. She had it easy, she has two aunts that are already DAR members! Her sponsor in the local chapter has offered to help me with research. At this point I'm not sure if I am interested in pursuing the DAR angle.

I have found 15ish relatives buried in one cemetery in Missouri. I plan to visit in the fall and will be wearing plenty of OFF. I hate chiggers!
Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 PM   #18

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
A general question after Cindy mentioned it...Is Ancestry.com worth the price of admission? I've read great reviews and bad reviews.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #19

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
A general question after Cindy mentioned it...Is Ancestry.com worth the price of admission? I've read great reviews and bad reviews.
My ancestry file is on Ancestry.com here.

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: Charles D. Smith Ancestors.

As a result of this thread I transferred all 4110 names in my ancestry file from Family Tree to PAF 5.

It's OK, but doesn't display notes well nor did it transfer all of the notes from Family Tree.

I suspect that this is a descrepancy in the way Family Tree codes NOTES in its GEDCOM export file.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #20

Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
Minnesota
I had a relative from Washington that looked up his family tree, and drove across the country visiting those relatives he found. He came to Minnesota a few times. He and his wife would always stop in and stay overnight. They would visit and talk family and they really enjoyed traveling around the country meeting relatives. I am sure they got many free meals, and saw a lot of the USA just checking out their geneology.