Generator Cover Fun - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #1

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Generator Cover Fun

We were headed to the Adirondacks this past weekend for the annual "Tear Up the Adirondacks" gathering. (CampADK.com - Camp ADK Spring TearUp 2013 - About Fish Creek Pond) We were anticipating at least 3 days of rain, most of it predicted to be heavy. So, what to do with the generator? Last year, we rigged a small tarp as a kind of pup tent over it. It sort of did the job but the wind got under it a couple of times and the Adirondack soil is kind of a mixture of red clay and sand which splashes up in the rain and sticks to everything. There had to be a more elegant solution.
A few weeks ago, our dishwasher gave up and was replaced with a sleek, new, shiny model and the old one was tucked in the shed awaiting a trip to the transfer station. Looking at my ParkLiner and then looking at that white PVC shell in the shed got me thinking and a plan began to develop. A couple of hours of dismantling, cutting, trimming and painting and ParkLiner 034 had a new baby brother. It only weighs about 5 Lbs and the generator stayed clean and dry. I'm just not sure if this qualifies as Folk Art or Problem Solving.
Attached Thumbnails
Gen and cover.jpg   covered.jpg  

PL34_34a.jpg  

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Very intriguing! Were you running the generator inside it? Ive also been looking for some kind of cover for my Yamaha for running it in the rain. I want to make a small "pallet" out of cedar to sit it on to get it off the ground since one place I go to alot the soil when wet seems to splash all over the place so getting it off the ground will keep it cleaner. I made a dark green sunbrella cover to protect/camo it when its not in use...but havent figured out yet what to do if I need to run it and its raining. I even thought of a dog kennel since it breaks in half and wouldn't take alot of room.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #3

Upstate New York
Hi Deryk,
Yes, I cut some slits in the front and used a heat gun to soften the plastic and then used some wooden wedges to form louvers to let in air. The hole in the back was where I removed the motor/spray arm assembly and works great for the exhaust. What you don't see underneath is the little pallet I built out of some scraps of Trex decking material. It's a lot heavier than cedar but since it is mainly plastic it slides nicely on the plastic bed of my Taco. That way I can load it on the tailgate and then slide it all the way forward without having to lift the generator. Those spring mounted rubber feet on the Honda are pretty sticky. Then I just tie it down with a couple of ratchet straps and it doesn't move a bit.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Perfect example of creative re-purposing.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #5

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
I never thought of that but I like it. I will be making cabinet doors in the shape of our egg (on List) but never even thought of making a cover for the Gen like a egg. Great idea!
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #6

Upstate New York
Thanks Shawn,
It does the trick, looks cute and best of all, it was free.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #7

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Deryk, Here is my low cost cover. I took a old blue bin you get at Wally World that already had holes in it because it was my worm farm. I put gutter screen over the holes I drilled to keep out the bugs ect. I keep it in there but if it rains I just flip it over. If you put the Gen on the lid you will have a bottom. My lid already has holes in it so if any water gets in it will go back out. Mine don't look as good as Brian's and when I find something that looks like a Boler I will use that. But in the mean time I use this.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0281.JPG   100_0282.jpg  

100_0283.JPG  
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #8

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Shawn, thats a great idea! I built out of a cedar 2x4 and 3 cedar 1x2's a platform that I sit the generator on to get it 4" off the ground and not have to worry about it getting muddy. I have been playing a piece of plywood on top and useing a pair of bungy cords to hold it in place when it rains and has been working fine... I do like brians idea though

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator