Gold panning/prospecting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Gold panning/prospecting

Any gold prospectors out there?
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:46 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
My ex-wife is one?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
RLP

British Columbia
Ex-wife? She must have hit a good pay streak and you were left with the gravel. (Really, I am laughing with you).
Old 12-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
I am a novice prospector. Been at it two years. I have been doing a lot of reading and research. It is very interesting. I started with a White's Goldmaster GMT metal detector loaned to me by a friend. I bought a couple of small nuggets from ebay to calibrate the detector with. I have also done some panning. I travel, camp and ATV ride all over the western US every year. I have metal detected some around Quartzsite the last two winters and will again this February if I make it out there. I actually found some gold in Colorado last summer. There is lots to learn especially about finding promising areas to go that are not already claimed. I know two things. You are not likely to make a living at it. Also there is lots of gold still out there. There is no way the old time prospectors with their donkeys found it all.

I like to tell people I have a gold mine in Nevada. Here is a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2464.JPG  
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We just met a retired couple on our recent trip south that pans for gold. One of their favorite places is Lucky Strike Mine in North Carolina, there is a campground there, and apparently you pay to dig. They were quite into it, had portable pumps, sluice equipment and other stuff. There are magazines and clubs related to the hobby. I might try it in the stream on our property. I'm sure you watch the discovery channel show "Gold Rush"
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'll be working a friends claim in 2012.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft Hybrid
Registry
When I was in school I used to pan the creeks running through the old mining areas along the frontange in Colorado. Great way to get away from the books for a while. I still have what I found in a small glass bottle. On a sunny day you can actually see it.
HerseyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
RLP

British Columbia
I started panning four years ago and on the first outing got into a good pay streak - pay streak of pyrite that is as I later found out. "Fools gold", what a great term for that. In my first year I found some fly poop size pieces of gold and it's true what they say, once you find it you will never forget what it looks like. At that point I was hooked and had the fever.

Started buying more equipment and tools and went out more often. Staked two claims last year and one is showing good color but it's spotty. It also produced a 1/4 oz nugget this past summer.

So in 2012 I will spend much more time on the claim, hopefully week long trips which will certainly improve the production. I have reason to believe there is an old river channel on my claim and that's what I want to get into.

Prospecting is the reason I bought a 13' Boler - light to pull on those hilly back roads and it has a small footprint so it can be set up virtually anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Nugget.jpg  
Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #9

British Columbia
Registry
Prospecting and metal detecting were both on my mind when I decided on my trailer.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
RLP

British Columbia
Daniel - Where in BC will you be prospecting this year? Also, do you visit the Canadian Prospectors Forum?
CANADIAN GOLD PROSPECTING FORUM - Gold Prospecting Forums - Gold Prospecting Forum
Old 12-27-2011, 11:27 PM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Yes I'm on the prospector forum, my friend has two claims one near Boston Bar and the other up north.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM   #12

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
This made me LOL for real.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #13

Name: Cissy
Trailer: '86 Scamp 16'
Alabama
I love looking for gold or any gems!!!! I also own a whites metal detector 6000
Cissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I prospect here in North Carolina. I pan, sluice and highbank. This is my best weekend so far.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Nice pan

I have had 3 Whites and now I have two Fishers. Used to go hunting for rubies and sapphires in Franklin County NC. Did a lot of camping and tubing in the summertime. Panned for gold in Index, Wa when I lived over there but never got any. I bought 10 acres of mountain property in Georgetown, Colorado back in 08 and there are gold and silver mines everywhere. Now that I am retired and after getting my Egg fixed up I will be heading West to Co. (assuming they will still let CHLs have guns by the time I get there).
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything that gets you out in fresh air and makes you exercise is "gold" in my world
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #17

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 19
Ontario
I've never tried gold panning outside a tourist sluice, but I'm definitely a fan of rockhounding, so I expect I'd get a kick of searching for gold.
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #18

Texas
Gold Fever Plus some extra

Back in the 70s in my younger days I would go to coin shoots and I worked for a White's distributor at the fests. I would fix the detectors brought in for repair during the event. (they were germanium transistors back then and simple circuits). So later I went to Oregon and became a White's dealer -while I lived in the Seattle area. Hence my love for Whites. After my wife passed I was transferred to Texas. In 2008 the wildfires[ a cigarette butt tossed out a window with 50mph winds] of Texas burned my house, 640 acres and 16 homes of which only two had insurance and one being me and 35 years of everything to the ground and I had to start all over. So I bought the Fishers as they were more economical.
As a side note after the fire I rummaged through the ashes of the house and 999.99% was gone. But I dug through the ashes and a coin that my mother had given me was still there. Other items including gold rings and necklaces were melted. I cant explain it but I carry it with me everyday. Its true and a not made up story. Some from Texas may remember it. This is the coin that was lying there in the midst of my ex-jewelry box.
Since then I have taken a different outlook on life.
Attached Thumbnails
P7300250.JPG  
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #19

British Columbia
Registry
Mike I have one of those as well given to me in 1988.

I'll assume you know Carl at Whites.

I've been in the game a long time now and had as many as 50 machines at one time.
I'm down to around 12 machines now.
Today I run the major forum in Canada.

Canadian Metal Detecting | Informational Forum & Gallery
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #20

Texas
Right now at age 65 I would be lying if I knew that I remember meeting him. When I was at Whites in Sweet Home, Oregon I was given the grand tour and I was just an interested person at the time and user of the Gold Master. There weren't too many detectors at the time and all were based upon WWII mine detection technology so they just detected all metals. If you recall as I do; I wound my own coils and made my own detector boards using perf boards and circuits from Popular Electronics magazine.
If you Rest, You Rust