Golf/Fishing on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Golf/Fishing on the road

I was surprised to see no posts on golfing and fishing on this section. While still in planning stages, I expect both activities to be my primary source of entertainment. Of course, golfing can be expensive and I will have to find courses that are cheap. But fishing doesn't cost much besides a license and can also provide a great meal.

I would love to hear fishing and golfing stories from anyone's travels. When I do begin travelling, I plan on camping at spots where I can get a line wet. Besides fishing around Missouri, I have made a couple trips to Colorado and Wyoming, but admittedly not very successful fishing the mountains streams. The water was just too fast.

I am a bait caster, not a fly fisherman, but hope to learn to fly fish sometime soon.

I do plan to make a trip sometime in the next couple of years to northern Minnesota or Wisconsin for walleye and smallmouth bass.

Hope to hear from some fishermen and golfers. As far as golf, I hope that when I am ready to make long trips when I retire in four years, that I can send out a message on a forum like this and find bargains along the way.
Mark
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Good Idea

I don't fish but typed in fishing hotspots in google and it appears that a number of states produce a list. Give it a try.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #3

Florida
Golf course finder

Type in your zip code and price range and it gives you a pap and list of the nearest courses.

Golf Course Finder, Best Golf Courses Near You - GOLF.com

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
I am a bait caster, not a fly fisherman, but hope to learn to fly fish sometime soon.
The first time you catch and eat a Rainbow Trout out of some ice cold mountain stream (or stream fed lake) you will be "hooked". That pure, clean flesh is a marvel to the taste buds. To me everything else is trash fish. Although, I have trained myself to even enjoy "Mullet" since moving South. Although it has to be fresh, like caught that morning fresh. I guess one can get used to anything, or when in Rome.............
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #5

Missouri
I've had the pleasure of catching and eating fresh trout in Colorado. Didn't say I got skunked, just tough finding good wading water. You really have to get there after the run off. Still, I prefer blue gill and crappie. We actually have some good trout streams in Missouri.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: Casita
Nebraska
"But fishing doesn't cost much besides a license and can also provide a great meal."

You need to visit my basement and tell this to my wife. The answer to nearly every question is "it depends". Fly fishing is akin to racing in the Indianapolis 500 when you are really into it. A lot of skill, some real technical knowledge and a little luck. I have been doing it all of my life and feel like I'm still just getting started. I have caught 140 lb. Tarpon and Sharks and I still get a kick out of a 4 oz. Bluegill. I still pick up a spinning or bait caster frequently.

Some states, like Colorado, are just perfect. You can drive up the highway, follow a river, and stop to fish wherever you prefer. a lot of that water is also a waste of time. A good deal of prime trout water is close to you in Missouri. All of the tailwater areas of the southern edge and Arkansas are world class. Several world record Trout have been taken below dams in Northern Arkansas.

It's funny. You want to come up North to fish. We all want to come down there. you've got some big bass and stripers down there. All of them can be caught a variety of ways.
Burtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Michigan
Mark, not much for golfing, but we love fishing. A camper will add another level of fun to your fishing. We plan to camp / fish in the Boundary Waters in northern MN next summer. We're also spending a couple months in FL, and plan to wet some lines down there. We'll start bringing our canoe on our travels next year. Fishing rods already have a permanent spot on our packing list. I prefer eating Walleye, Northern Pike, and Perch to Trout, but they are all fun to catch.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 PM   #8

Missouri
The Boundary Waters are on my to do list. I have fished the White River in Arkansas, phenomonal fishing. But I prefer smaller streams. There is a couple in s. Missouri that are very scenic and great floating. I would love to find some small streams on my travels.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:37 PM   #9

Michigan
A friend of mine spends a lot of time fly fishing in Bennett Springs, MO. He really likes the area. It's near Lebanon, MO. I like all fishing for different reasons. Much of it has to do with the incredible scenery. I can't remember a bad day on the water. I grew up in the Great Lakes area, so I may be partial to fresh water fishing, but salt water has it's attractions too. A big thing is the variety of species in salt water. You never know what you'll pull in next. It's all good!

Tom
Old 10-14-2014, 05:26 AM   #10

Missouri
I'm familiar with Bennett Springs - one of 4 Missouri trout parks - they're OK if you don't mind crowds. I prefer streams off the beaten path and solitude when fishing. I regularly read about Minnesota/Wisconsin fishing for walleye, pike, and smallmouth bass. I would love a float trip on some of those streams and like I said, on my to do list. I'm fascinated by the Boundary Waters. Guessing you northerners like the lakes in the south and largemouth fishing and stripers, though I've never had the pleasure of catching stripers. I'm more of a light tackle guy.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 AM   #11

Missouri
The purpose of in starting this thread was I hoped to be able to use this as a resource for some off the beaten path places to fish and golf on my travels. I would gladly share some hidden Missouri gems for anyone passing thru Missouri.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 PM   #12

Name: Rae
Trailer: Boler
Ohio
As an avid fly fisherman, I have to tell you that any fish that can be caught on any other equipment can be caught on a fly rod. Therefore, you can fly fish in every state! I usually seek out the local fly shop for suggestions on where to fish. I've found that most times, they give out pretty good information.
Of course, nothing beats a trout!
rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #13

Florida
Mark,

I went golfing last week. One of the guys, a full timer, belongs to a web site that provides discounts at golf courses across the USA. Our round with cart was $13 instead of $20.

I'll ask him for the link this weekend.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #14

Missouri
Where did you golf?? The cost of golfing is a big concern for me as I plan for a few years on the road upon retirement. I'm sure you golfers know how it is - $40 + to step on most courses nowadays. I would love to have a list of small town courses that are cheap or larger city courses for that matter. But on a fixed income on the road, I know I am not going to be able to shell out $40-50 every time I want to play. Which leads me back to thinking if I stay home I can continue to play the course where I am a member for what comes to about $100 per month for a membership.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #15

Michigan
A friend and I used to combine golf and fishing. Back in the '80's we'd tow one of our fishing boats from the Detroit area, up to Canada thru the Soo. On our way up I-75 there was an exit somewhere near Gaylord. It held a unique place we discovered by accident. Not far from the freeway, on a dirt road we saw what appeared to be an old wooden bus stop labeled "Driving Range". No attendant anywhere in sight. You'd put $5 in the cash box and take a bucket of balls and a club outside to drive off a cliff. It was at least 100' down to a pasture on a farm. We felt like Superman!

It became a tradition. We felt like we were "Up North" when we'd see that unattended cash box with a lock that you'd find on a suit case. Not that I'm superstitious, but one year we skipped our traditional stop, and the Pike were smaller.

Tom
Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM   #16

Name: Ron
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I have a lot of vices but golf isnt one of them .
Now fishing I love and do a lot when I can.
I am still a couple years away from full timing but I am collecting and down sizing for my four vices ,fishing ,kayaking,shooting archery tournaments ,and riding a recumbent tadpole trike. That should keep me busy and in shape on the road.
Ron
PS Yep I know I will need a long bed pickup and a topper,lol
Ron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:29 PM   #17

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Mark View Post
Where did you golf?? The cost of golfing is a big concern for me as I plan for a few years on the road upon retirement. I'm sure you golfers know how it is - $40 + to step on most courses nowadays. I would love to have a list of small town courses that are cheap or larger city courses for that matter. But on a fixed income on the road, I know I am not going to be able to shell out $40-50 every time I want to play. Which leads me back to thinking if I stay home I can continue to play the course where I am a member for what comes to about $100 per month for a membership.

A lot of state parks have golf courses that are less than 22$. We fish and I golf on our 3 month trips from Florida to New Mexico. I walk most courses. We get a year fishing license in New Mexico and fish for trout. Heading out in March.
Home on the range is offline   Reply With Quote