Got a job restoring trailers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2017, 12:11 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Got a job restoring trailers

Hey all!

Bit of a dream come true. As I have mentioned when I first joined, I like old trailers and the like, including a chance at restoring one. The dream has come true in part. I took a class on restoring old trailers through community education and the guy in charge of the class works at a company that restores trailers. After the initial tour of the shop, I told him that in exchange for work, paid or unpaid, I would like to learn carpentry and electrical. They said to come back in a week and talk to them.

A week later, I bumbled into a second part time job restoring old airstreams, stickies, and possibly anything in between. The company will be starting me out cleaning the shop and helping whenever on whatever project. Slow start, but it is a start nonetheless.

Can't tell you all how happy this makes me, and how much it validates that I can do something.

Thought I'd share this, that good things still do happen in the world.

Patdeesky
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:08 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patdeesky View Post
Hey all!

Bit of a dream come true. As I have mentioned when I first joined, I like old trailers and the like, including a chance at restoring one. The dream has come true in part. I took a class on restoring old trailers through community education and the guy in charge of the class works at a company that restores trailers. After the initial tour of the shop, I told him that in exchange for work, paid or unpaid, I would like to learn carpentry and electrical. They said to come back in a week and talk to them.

A week later, I bumbled into a second part time job restoring old airstreams, stickies, and possibly anything in between. The company will be starting me out cleaning the shop and helping whenever on whatever project. Slow start, but it is a start nonetheless.

Can't tell you all how happy this makes me, and how much it validates that I can do something.

Thought I'd share this, that good things still do happen in the world.

Patdeesky
Congratulations! It is good way to make things happen by putting yourself forward and literally stepping into your goals and dreams

While hands on work with tools is the best teacher you can learn also learn whole lot by doing a self education immersion course in methods of woodworking. Fortunately there are some really great websites for that.

For instance this website has an excellent video on setting up a bandsaw which can be a very handy tool for working on curved structures. Every carpenter needs to learn how to set his tools up for making accurate cuts and fine tuning in a bandsaw can be frustrating for a beginner. The Best Way to Set Up a Bandsaw! - The Wood Whisperer

He also has another good video on a very simple, accurate, quick and easy way to measure some of the odd ball situations you will find yourself dealing with during renovations. A good trick for anyone doing travel trailer renovations. Measuring Sticks - The Wood Whisperer

Another great video, an amusing one, that will teach you the finer points of how to use a hand saw. Unless a person has a mentor to learn from many people struggle with making fast and accurate cuts with a basic hand saw. Don't forget to learn to master the basic hand tools, there will be many times where they are easier and more convenient. Especially if you are out boondocking without electricity. From the PBS series "Woodwrights Workshop. Video: S30 Ep9: Sawing Secrets | Watch The Woodwright's Shop Online | WPT Video
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
amazing

wow is all I can say! Maybe a new Scamp style manufacture coming!

good luck in your new job

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Perfect Job

Congrats
Old 10-05-2017, 04:52 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Great having a job doing what you like. So if you have your own project trailer sell it now.

The roofers roof leaks, the plumbers faucet drips and the painters house needs painting. So that means the trailer repair mans trailer needs repair.

Have fun at the new job.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:19 PM   #6

Missouri
dont forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Great having a job doing what you like. So if you have your own project trailer sell it now.

The roofers roof leaks, the plumbers faucet drips and the painters house needs painting. So that means the trailer repair mans trailer needs repair.

Have fun at the new job.
don't forget the mechanics wifes care that will barely run!!

bob
Old 10-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Congratulations on the job! What is the saying? Do what you love and you will never "work" a day in your life?

I wish there were community college courses around here on restoring old trailers. I would sign up immediately! I usually have to go to the college of Youtube!
TimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:22 AM   #8

Utah
Quote:

Have fun at the new job.
Haha! If only I had a trailer to consider doing that... Soon, very soon!
Old 10-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Congratulations! It is good way to make things happen by putting yourself forward and literally stepping into your goals and dreams

While hands on work with tools is the best teacher you can learn also learn whole lot by doing a self education immersion course in methods of woodworking. Fortunately there are some really great websites for that.

For instance this website has an excellent video on setting up a bandsaw which can be a very handy tool for working on curved structures. Every carpenter needs to learn how to set his tools up for making accurate cuts and fine tuning in a bandsaw can be frustrating for a beginner. The Best Way to Set Up a Bandsaw! - The Wood Whisperer

He also has another good video on a very simple, accurate, quick and easy way to measure some of the odd ball situations you will find yourself dealing with during renovations. A good trick for anyone doing travel trailer renovations. Measuring Sticks - The Wood Whisperer

Another great video, an amusing one, that will teach you the finer points of how to use a hand saw. Unless a person has a mentor to learn from many people struggle with making fast and accurate cuts with a basic hand saw. Don't forget to learn to master the basic hand tools, there will be many times where they are easier and more convenient. Especially if you are out boondocking without electricity. From the PBS series "Woodwrights Workshop. Video: S30 Ep9: Sawing Secrets | Watch The Woodwright's Shop Online | WPT Video
Thanks for the information and the well wishes! I'll definitely give the videos a shot.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:27 AM   #10

Utah
Kowtz, Borden, Steve, and Tim, I want to say thanks to you guys as well. So far it is just helping around the shop and organizing stuff and cleaning. But they are going to put me on working with their online database for parts as well as placing old appliances that come out of the trailers for sale on a local news classified section.

Pretty sure that they are going to have me do the demolition and airstream skin polishing when the occasion arises. Either way, it doesn't bother me. I get to work with history.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #11

Missouri
have to start somewhere

I don't know what job you have had doesn't matter when you start a new one unless you are an ace you will be the broom pusher, cleanup, cleanout guy, bathroom cleaner whatever?

My best advice have a cheerful attitude whatever you are told to do and yes you will be told. Your boss has a lot to do so don't take his directions as an insult or that he hates you.

You will be watched don't go hide out and fool around. Jobs are serious take it that way if you make you company a profit you will be rewarded.

I would rather work for a small guy anytime you will be much appreciated and you will have a full filled work life! You will be rewarded if you do what I am suggesting!

bob

Life is soooo gooood in a 13f Scamp its rediculous
Old 10-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #12

Missouri
when

when you learn Airstream polishing pass it on! Saying this I don't know your job history but I assure you your boss has big plans for you don't disappoint.

Go in there with a happy cheerful attitude be helpful. The boss seems gruff it isn't because he hates you he has a lot on his mind.

You are the new guy you will get all the bad jobs for awhile until you learn and are a real value to the place. As you gain more experience in this new field new things will open up for you!

One thing whatever you learn no one can every take away from you!

bob

Life is great in a 13f Scamp its rediculous
Old 10-15-2017, 03:23 PM   #13

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Quote:

Have fun at the new job.
And the shoe cobbler’s kids go barefoot.
Benji1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

Missouri
yes they do

you are so right the plumbers house leaks water and whatever too!

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #15

California
Start curling some weights. Buffing aluminium will beat you down fast. It is very rewarding when you see the results of your labor. The look in the customers eyes when they see the product of your labor is very warding.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #16

Missouri
done this

steve

have you done this? what is your process or is it secret? I have no luck running a el buffer I did it once I screwed up my paint forever!!

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 04:08 PM   #17

California
I have not buffed aluminium trailer skin but have buffed aluminium wheels and engine parts. I have also buffed fiberglass boats, my Scamp and new and old painted cars. The worst thing you can do is grab a buffer and start polishing. Using a buffer is an art. Tape off all edges and buff those last by hand. A millisecond on an edge and you can burn right through. Wash your surface first. Now days i go over the surface with a clay bar kit. If it looks good at that point you may consider buffing from there. If it looks bad then you start with wet sanding with 1000 grit paper. Then 1500 grit paper. Then you can start buffing, for beggining people you need a slow speed orbital machine. Speed and heat kills the job. Buy a package system and follow the manufactures directions. Skipping steps will produce an inferior job. Theses days there is so much information on the net with videos to help. Take your time and utilize whats available on the information super highway. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #18

Missouri
buffing not!!!

steve I admire your skills not to be passed over! I will never do a job like that again I had swirl marks when I got rid of the car. I tried everything I now only hand wax and buff and that very carefully.

you are a gifted man! I think you may be an expert in the field now I have big al. wheels on my bus I can clean and buff them but no one notices those!!

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #19

Missouri
oooooooh

Now I do see it you are a pro!!! I would enjoy this!

bob
Old 10-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
steve I admire your skills not to be passed over! I will never do a job like that again I had swirl marks when I got rid of the car. I tried everything I now only hand wax and buff and that very carefully.

you are a gifted man! I think you may be an expert in the field now I have big al. wheels on my bus I can clean and buff them but no one notices those!!

bob
Expert no way. I am not an expert at anything. Just brought up poor on the wrong side of the tracks. I have no fear of jumping in and fixing anything. I do allot of research and spend my money getting the tools and information I need to survive. Early in life I just learned how to learn how to do things. The only thing wrong with this approach is there is never enought time to get things done.

My friends buy a new boat or toy and their off and playing it. Gets old and troublesom they dump it and get another. Me I buy someones cast offs fix them keep them going and play with it when I can.

I have more in used tools than most people have in their average cars. I still have my old Bronco I bought used in 1977 when I was 18. Last year was my first new car ever. My brain just doesn't compute the way most other people work theirs. Jack of all trades master of none. A dying breed due to near extinction with the buy it new replace it generation.

I get great joy helping people who want help themselves. I will never be rich, have to work until i drop, I will never need support to survive. I like Mary Ann instead of Ginger.

Pretty much sums it up.