Ham Radio - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Casita
thank you for everything I'll try it again after the first of the year.....maybe this time.
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
73 from n0kfb and my xyl wx0z

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #23

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl View Post
Licensed since 1990
Haven't propagated a signal since about '96

Been thinking about a 2 meter for the van since I'm on the road a lot.

Peter
N0LLL
Peter

If you are going to buy a rig I would recommend a hand held dual band unit. Make sure you get one that has extended receive for the weather channels so you can keep up with the weather while on the road.

I have a Yaesu FT-60 handheld with a mag mount antenna and a 12V power plug. That way I can easily remove the rig and antenna if I park somewhere where the resource re-allocators prowl.

I installed a FT-857 in my truck since I've been on the road a lot since I retired. It gives me HF capability as well as VHF/UHF and can also receive the weather channels. Now I use the FT-60 in my wife's Land Rover since drilling holes for antennas isn't an option (at least while she's looking).

Anyway, get on the air and enjoy. Check out the Denver Radio Club website W0TX.org for info on ham operation in the Denver metro area.

Orlen WW0LF
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #24

Name: Billy
Trailer: Casita 13'
Florida
73 de N3GBZ
n3gbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #25

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
73 de KD4BTC
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #26

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If Death Valley doesn't get washed away look for me on 20 meters operating from Death Valley next month (Jan 2011).
Old 05-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #27

Registry
The Titan Missile Museum south of Tucson, AZ has a remarkable hf antenna. We stopped and I used that antenna with my radio. The pile up was something to behold.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:21 AM   #28

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Checked in to the SATERN Net from Joplin Last week from the Salvation Army HQ with my trusty BuddiPole and IC7000.

It was the push we needed to get the rest of the week scheduled with HAMS coming down to help.

73 de KC0UKR
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
KB9HIU have been a ham for years, but never used it. Maybe now that my kids are grown my hubby and I will get back into it.
Angie2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #30

Name: John
Illinois and Florida
Doesn't appear to be much activity on this thread, but two hams have joined the group, John W9EM and Judie N9MA.
John0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #31

Name: Al
Trailer: 1982 13 foot Scamp
Wisconsin
KC9DOR.Tech since 2003.Yaesu 2900 in the Jeep.FT-60 feeding MFJ dual band yagi in the Scamp.Twin group 27 deep cycles plus solar for boondocking.
ScampBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #32

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by John0923
Doesn't appear to be much activity on this thread, but two hams have joined the group, John W9EM and Judie N9MA.
Glad to see you join the gang in here! Do you Ham when you Scamp? '73 ConwayBob KI4HEE
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #33

Illinois and Florida
We have in the past. Field day and sweepstakes and vacation rag chews. Have a 2012 Casita 17 SD on order and plan to have a radio in It. Primarily a QRP CW operator, but we also operate phone. Been a ham for 35+ years.
John W9EM and Judie N9MA
Old 08-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #34

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John0923 View Post
We have in the past. Field day and sweepstakes and vacation rag chews. Have a 2012 Casita 17 SD on order and plan to have a radio in It. Primarily a QRP CW operator, but we also operate phone. Been a ham for 35+ years.
John W9EM and Judie N9MA
I see you are involved with FISTS too.
Good Times.

I carry an Icom 7000 all the time in a box along with an FT90 and Tuner and power supply and Buddi-Pole and Beach Bob portable Tri-Band antenna for when Icamp.

EZ Dog
KC0UKR
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #35

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have little interest in the subject, but I do have a related short story...
We were at LBL last year where we met a nice couple in the next site.
He had an interest in Ham Radio and was setting up to use his.
He had a really neat device which shot a cord carrying the antenna way up into the trees, so he could transmit.He gave me a brief explanation and we parted company for the evening. Everything went well for the evening and we shut everything down and settled in for the night.
My Scamp has remote speakers attached to the television and sound system. All power was off!
I was shocked to consciousness in the dark by a strange loud voice just above my head, it had a sort of odd electronic accent which enhanced the eerie nature of the whole experience. Once I got my breath and sensibilities back in order, I realized what was happening....
The neighbor was broadcasting with enough power to induce a current into my speakers and made them act as receivers. He was speaking loud and clear from the cupboards over my head eventhough the speakers were off and had no onboard power supplied to them.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
We were at LBL last year where we met a nice couple in the next site.
He had an interest in Ham Radio and was setting up to use his.
He had a really neat device which shot a cord carrying the antenna way up into the trees, so he could transmit.He gave me a brief explanation and we parted company for the evening. Everything went well for the evening and we shut everything down and settled in for the night.
My Scamp has remote speakers attached to the television and sound system. All power was off!
I was shocked to consciousness in the dark by a strange loud voice just above my head, it had a sort of odd electronic accent which enhanced the eerie nature of the whole experience. Once I got my breath and sensibilities back in order, I realized what was happening....
The neighbor was broadcasting with enough power to induce a current into my speakers and made them act as receivers. He was speaking loud and clear from the cupboards over my head eventhough the speakers were off and had no onboard power supplied to them.
That can happen especially with inexpensive speakers. Many years ago I lived pretty close to a "broadcast" radio station, I could listen to the music with my stereo off. The more expensive variety will have filtering to prevent what you experienced.

Was it a tennis ball launcher he used to put a cord up in a tree?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #37

Illinois and Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

And I've had those issues in the past. One nice thing about running a peanut whistle not very much power to cause problems
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #38

Illinois and Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I see you are involved with FISTS too.
Good Times.

I carry an Icom 7000 all the time in a box along with an FT90 and Tuner and power supply and Buddi-Pole and Beach Bob portable Tri-Band antenna for when Icamp.

EZ Dog
KC0UKR
Yes, I ran the FISTS code buddy program for number of years. Gave it up when I retired. just didn't have the time any longer to do that. nice group with good folks. 73 John
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That can happen especially with inexpensive speakers. Many years ago I lived pretty close to a "broadcast" radio station, I could listen to the music with my stereo off. The more expensive variety will have filtering to prevent what you experienced.

Was it a tennis ball launcher he used to put a cord up in a tree?
I'M pretty sure it was not,Maybe a slingshot?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #40

Registry
NOG Station

I'll be at the Northern Oregon Gathering (NOG) next week-end. I'm planning on monitoring 20 Meters around 14.245 for most of the afternoon on Saturday, October 13, 2012. (12:00 noon to about 5:00 pm PST) Give me a call if think about it.

AK7EE