Ham Radio - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #71

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Great we have a good turn out. Alive and well in this digital age.

If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #72

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
If I ever get time, I keep thinking I should. If somebody ever manages to kill communication in the county, ham might be what's left.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #73

Texas
In my opinion if we get hit with an EMP from solar or an intentional EMP weapon then we will all be back in the stone age. So keep those tube units.. Not trying to start a raging debate. Just a comment in general. Ham radio operators do provide quite an emergency communications network in times of need.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #74

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Send a message via Skype™ to Night Sailor
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
In my opinion if we get hit with an EMP from solar or an intentional EMP weapon then we will all be back in the stone age. So keep those tube units.. Not trying to start a raging debate. Just a comment in general. Ham radio operators do provide quite an emergency communications network in times of need.
I am putting a few spare radios aside in shielded boxes. I will be on the air no matter what happens.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 AM   #75

Texas
I have the FT-817 QRP rig that I have seriously considered doing something like that. I dont think a gun safe will do it. I need to read up on it more. I know the effects of EMP just not the preventative measures. Cant wrap your car though.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #76

Connecticut
Quote:
I have the FT-817 QRP rig that I have seriously considered doing something like that. I dont think a gun safe will do it. I need to read up on it more. I know the effects of EMP just not the preventative measures. Cant wrap your car though.
I have several Yeasu FT-8500's. I plan to wrap some up and store them in shielded boxes. I have enough to get back on the air in an emergency. How may Hams will have this foresight. Store in the original box under five layers of tin foil. Insulate and then in another metal box that is grounded.

Tactically speaking this is difficult. In college we had a shielded room and just carried equipment inside.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #77

Texas
Here is the ultimate Ham Shack. Wow
Washington Island's Ham Radio Treasure
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 AM   #78

Connecticut
Quote:
Here is the ultimate Ham Shack. Wow
Washington Island's Ham Radio Treasure
Impressive.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #79

Name: Ray
Trailer: Scamp 13
Missouri
Ham in Egg?

I just acquired a 2005 scamp 13 for use mainly as a portable ham shack. Next stop is the 4SQRP get together at Big Brutus museum in Kansas.

ray W0PFO
Old 09-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #80

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadmus View Post
I just acquired a 2005 scamp 13 for use mainly as a portable ham shack. Next stop is the 4SQRP get together at Big Brutus museum in Kansas.

ray W0PFO
Let's set up a a sched. You throw a wire up in the trees & call, I'll work ya' Scamp to Scamp!

'73 DE KI4HEE (ConwayBob)
Old 10-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #81

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Metal on the roof

Today was the day to add to the metal on the roof. Those antennas should help both VHF/UHF radio and TV.
Attached Thumbnails
adding metal.jpg  
Old 10-05-2013, 11:48 PM   #82

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Byron, looks like you should add lights to the top of the mast to help those low(er) flying planes!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #83

Texas
Looks Good. Not like to good old days of Ham radio when you could mess up everyone's TV within a two block radius.
If you Rest, You Rust
Old 10-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #84

Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadmus View Post
I just acquired a 2005 scamp 13 for use mainly as a portable ham shack. <snip>. ray W0PFO
Ray, I had the same idea--portable ham shack. I travel with my dog often and would like to stay in touch and meet other hams while boondocking and have a few eyeball qso's.

I am still in the construction phase perhaps people can post descriptions of their radios amps and antennas here.

As for me my aluminum truck camper still needs a lot of work and I enjoy designing and building it. My free time is limited as I am working on a boat project at the moment. I am working on a camper wiring plan now and that is rather complicated because of the radio gear and space is very tight. I plan to use Wago wiring terminations on DIN rails as i have discovered I like them better than Anderson connectors. Has anyone else tried these? They make for a very neat installation and if used with a numbering system and labeling key, they are easy to modify or expand.

For radios I have an Icom 7000 and a couple of dual band Yaesu FT-8500 mobile radios, two of FT-50R portables.

I am toying with the idea of building two horizontal bar(s) across the back and top of my camper that I can rotate to raise several mobile type antennas in those two spots so that they lay flat against the top or back when traveling and yet stand up straight when fixed and yet two seconds to swing into place.

I have several Ham sticks for the low bands and an Icom antenna tuner. For HF my hams sticks work but not well. They make sense for mobile antennas; they are light and can be screwed in place yet take up very little space. The solution might be to get them higher and set them up in pairs as dipoles. I will provide some bulkhead terminations for external antennas in case I decide to try any wire or loop.

I want wifi, cell booster, TV antennas as well as various ham antennas on the roof. I was just gifted a decent marine (pie plate Type) TV antenna. I mostly watch movies and the news. A satellite dish has a very small appeal and costs too much.

I'd like to seek out mountain tops and do mostly weak signal VHF/UHF work with horizontal Yagi-Uda antennas and use my stacked vertical dual band on the mast for lower elevations. The vertical antenna is 17' long, 7.8 dB gain on 2 and 11.8 dB. I also have a 25' galvanized telescopic mast in my basement I never used that would work well with a hitch mount or under tire mount. It might be too much weight to carry for regular use but could but fun occasionally. The idea of a Yagi and a tall vertical on that 25' mast has great appeal. A wifi Yagi up there would be nice also.