Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 11 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #141

Name: Karen
Trailer: 2008 17' Oliver Elite
Michigan
Registry
Hey thanks for the replys. He was trained with a pinch collar at the center and it worked famously. As a matter of fact, once on, he doesn't make any moves aggressively. We haven't used it in so long as he stays home mostly but will be bringing it along. Its a miracle in terms of just having it on makes him docile with other dogs. And yes, I think he very possisive of me. But not with people.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #142

Michigan
Registry
BTW. He was an Alfa dog since he was 6 weeks old. Smart, trainable and all good but leash issues from the get go. Hence the training programs. He's old now so mellow. Just want to learn all i can before taking him out.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #143

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I would use the collar again. Many dogs do get a little unsettled when traveling. My last boy was a very laid back guy very happy to travel and go for walks in new places. Never nervous around strange dogs or people. Would see me loading the trailer and go and lay across the door of it just to be sure he was loaded up as well. ;-) Loved meeting new people and happy to play with anyone who wanted to play just as long as they didn't try and take him more than 25' from the trailer if I wasn't with him - he would lay down on his back and stick his legs up in the air. Big dog so picking him up wasn't a real option, which he know LOL he wouldn't even go on his own with my partner who he has known since he was 8 weeks old and who he often happly went for walks or mountain biking with at home. That was pretty well the only clue he ever gave that he was a little out of his comfort zone when traveling.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:41 AM   #144

Trailer: 2011 Chev Silverado
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We have a cairn terrier as well 14 1/2 years old - as yours- loves people especially kids, loves cats, but doesn't like other dogs- I've heard that from other cairn terrier owners as well.
Our solution is to avoid other dogs, we just tell people when they approach that she doesn't like other dogs, and people seem to respect that. She only weighs 13 lbs so sometimes I just pick her up. She's too old to change now.
She's a great camper - never barks, most people don't realize we even have a dog until we take her for a walk.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #145

Name: Filbert
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
California
Okay, I'm going to get a lot of heat from this, but I wish people wouldn't travel with their dogs. We went on our first camping trip two weeks ago, and many of our fellow campers had dogs. The peace and quiet of camping in the wilderness was ruined by barking dogs, especially in the evening when people would take their families and dogs for an after dinner stroll, and pass fellow campers who had their dogs restrained at their sites. So one dog starts barking at the one walking by, and then the rest start barking! We have neighbors with two barking dogs at home, so getting away only to hear more barking dogs did not make for a nice experience. I just wish dog owners would accept the fact that not all of us love dogs. Like some children, they are nice to look at, but I don't want to have any. People like to leave the cities to get away from the noise of the city, and don't even get me started on generator noise which is a whole new ballgame.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #146

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Resistance is futile. You may need to try to find no dogs allowed campgrounds (if they exist) or try boondocking. Fewer campers and thus fewer dogs.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #147

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
I have been looking for a temperature alarm that will notify my phone if the temp in the trailer goes too high...never know when the ac will quit for whatever reason!

Does anyone have, or know of an alarm that seems to work well?

Mon
You would need a computer and wi/fi and a router for that to work.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #148

Michigan
Registry
I wouldn't be happy around barking dogs either, or unruly children, or loud generators....or obnoxious music....etc. It's important to respect your camping neighbors.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 AM   #149

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
I think Karen has summarized this nicely, it is all about respect. There are many things that can disturb your camping neighbours and lots of people are either totally oblivious to this or don't seem to care
Old 05-04-2014, 11:01 AM   #150

Michigan
Registry
Thanks Koot! Thing is....I've really only camped in the backwoods....rarely campgrounds so I am not very savvy in terms of what to expect. Generally, respecting others is a good policy no matter where you go. I'm hoping most campers are of like mind but you know....there's a few bad apples anywhere. If our Ollie ends up being an issue, I guess we will have to come up with another solution. I'm confident though that with attention to detail....we can figure out how to camp together well.

Karen
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #151

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Respect others is the key. It's not just campgrounds. I've been to many hotels, museums, parks etc.....with the same issues. Not everybody loves dogs, loud music, kids....you name it. Just be respectful.....think about others.....most people care.....a few can ruin it for others. I love my wife and dogs.....they will continue to go where I and the Casita go!!
Old 05-05-2014, 05:08 AM   #152

Name: Filbert
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
California
I'm not sure if that's a fair comparison. You expect a certain amount of peace and quiet at a campground, and barking dogs can certainly spoil the mood. The same goes for smokers, especially those who smoke cigars and pipes in public. Smelling frying bacon or campfires is good, but cigars and pipe fumes from your camping neighbor is not. The same goes for hiking trails. I've been on numerous hikes where I've had to avoid dog leashes, not to mention dog droppings along the trails. Dogs also pee everywhere which can deter the native animals from the area, not to mention the dogs barking at the local wildlife such as squirrels and ducks. I enjoy camping at public parks where there is an onsite ranger who make sure that the quiet hours are observed, and that all of us are being respectful neighbors.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #153

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
What's fair is a judgement call......we all see things a bit differently. Obviously.....you are not a dog person....that's OK. It still boils down to respect for others. We would never leave dog droppings on a trail.....that is just not right. As for dogs peeing......well....when you have to go....you have to go. No offense but I have done the same thing on several trails over the years......just haven't found many restrooms on the trails I hike or hunt on. By the way.....the scaring off of wildlife is nonsense......as evidenced by the 19 elk that walked through our property this morning. Trust me.....there isn't a plant or tree in the yard that hasn't been peed on by our dog or me. You mention the smell of bacon is a good thing in a campground.....personally.....I agree with you but my eldest daughter who is a vegetarian for some strange reason hates that smell......go figure. I'll also add....I love the smell of good pipe tobacco.....reminds me of my grandpa. The point being.....it is a judgement call and we all need to be respectful of each other. Sorry you don't like dogs but....many of us who camp choose camping because we enjoy traveling with our animals. I sincerely hope that campers you camp next to who have a dog are respectful of your feelings and more important.....fry up some good bacon every morning! Safe travels!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #154

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
Okay, I'm going to get a lot of heat from this, but I wish people wouldn't travel with their dogs.
Filbert, no heat from me even though I confess to being a dog lover I totally agree with the above but only as far as to agree that *Some* people shouldn't travel with their dogs.

My last dog traveled everywhere with me for 13 years - with the exception of travel outside of NA both staying in hotels & the trailer from the time he was a very young pup. It was very common for people to stay beside me for a number of days and then be surprised to find I had a large dog with me the whole time. Thats the way it should be.

While attending the Oregon meet last week I had neighbours (not with the meet) traveling with dogs who barked at everyone who walked by on the pathway between our trailers. They left them outside the trailer in an enclosed pen on their own for a better part of the day. They also walked them around the park on retractable leads let out to its max so it tangle your legs up as you passed by them & the dogs charged at you yapping away. In my view thats not the dogs fault, more often than not it all comes back to their owners and their lack of leadership & training knowledge. All to often you see folks with little dogs treating them like a human baby, carrying them around protecting them from the scary world - so the dog never learns to socialize correctly with other larger dogs or strange humans - no surprise they think they need to yap and charge at any they see. Its also an easy out for many to blame it on the breed of dog, yet if you attend any large dog show and watch the obedience tests you will see lots of the same breed of dog achieving a formal obedience title without a problem.

I have a new pup flying in to Vancouver on Wednesday from Pennsylvania who will in 2 weeks be attending his first of many trailer meets & other large social & sport functions this summer. Hopefully if I put the time and effort into the training and with the correct socialization by the time they are a year old they will be equally well behaved (actually hoping for better) in public spaces than my previous dogs. He has to be, as it is hoped that by the time he is 14 months he will be heading off for advanced training as a service dog.

I would be interested in reading more in regards to dog pee deterring local wildlife if you have some links to share. Doesn't seem to work in my yard were bears, coyotes, racoons, squirrels and skunks are frequent visitors, with some of those guys I wish it did, especially the skunks! Got any idea how many bottles of tomato juice it takes to bath a large dog that has been skunked and what the bathroom looks like after the bath!

It is as others have said about respecting other people and their spaces & taking the *time* to train the dog correctly. Not everyone loves *your* dog, even someone who may themselves be a dog lover.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote