Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #155

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Going to a high density campground such as many state parks and expecting solitude and just the sounds of nature is setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially on the weekend. Dogs bark, children yell and squeal while playing, people play music, talk and laugh. Smoke all sorts of things, fill the air with the smell of cooking food, and create some of the smokiest campfires known to man.

That is not to excuse people who don't follow the rules such as quiet times, dogs under control and on a leash of allowed length, cleaning up after pets solid waste, or not running through your campsite. Leaving a dog in site unattended is not allowed in most state parks, or any that I know of.

Most Michigan State parks have nearby rustic camping areas, low density and generally used by people that do want the solitude and are willing to use a vault toilet and hand pump to have it. These are campgrounds where one can more reasonably expect quiet and solitude of nature. Exception might be on the weekend when full service campground might overflow into rustic. You might run into someone that runs a generator all day even there.

Willing to boondock or go out on trails and the nature and quiet space you seek from camping is more than likely going to be found. Even a short hike from a crowded campground can lead one to a lovely place for a picnic lunch in solitude.

You have the choice to match your desires to where you camp. That is what you control, what the people in the other 200+ sites in the RV parking lot do is at best only going to conform to the required rules, which may not be a good match for what you desire.

We do all these types of camping, boondock, rustic & full hookup campgrounds. Each is different and offers a different experience, we camp where the amenities or ambiance matches our desires for the trip. If we want to be the only dog owner and commune with nature we are in the middle of the national or state forest. Family gatherings with all the kids, grandkids and dogs are at noisy state parks with beaches and playgrounds.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:12 PM   #156

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Going to a high density campground such as many state parks and expecting solitude and just the sounds of nature is setting yourself up for disappointment. Especially on the weekend. Dogs bark, children yell and squeal while playing, people play music, talk and laugh. Smoke all sorts of things, fill the air with the smell of cooking food, and create some of the smokiest campfires known to man.

That is not to excuse people who don't follow the rules such as quiet times, dogs under control and on a leash of allowed length, cleaning up after pets solid waste, or not running through your campsite. Leaving a dog in site unattended is not allowed in most state parks, or any that I know of.

Most Michigan State parks have nearby rustic camping areas, low density and generally used by people that do want the solitude and are willing to use a vault toilet and hand pump to have it. These are campgrounds where one can more reasonably expect quiet and solitude of nature. Exception might be on the weekend when full service campground might overflow into rustic. You might run into someone that runs a generator all day even there.

Willing to boondock or go out on trails and the nature and quiet space you seek from camping is more than likely going to be found. Even a short hike from a crowded campground can lead one to a lovely place for a picnic lunch in solitude.

You have the choice to match your desires to where you camp. That is what you control, what the people in the other 200+ sites in the RV parking lot do is at best only going to conform to the required rules, which may not be a good match for what you desire.

We do all these types of camping, boondock, rustic & full hookup campgrounds. Each is different and offers a different experience, we camp where the amenities or ambiance matches our desires for the trip. If we want to be the only dog owner and commune with nature we are in the middle of the national or state forest. Family gatherings with all the kids, grandkids and dogs are at noisy state parks with beaches and playgrounds.
Very well said!!!

Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #157

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I sincerely hope that campers you camp next to who have a dog are respectful of your feelings and more important.....fry up some good bacon every morning!
Our pups will match the first condition, but be forewarned if my girl gets a wiff of bacon frying she'll softly whine until she gets both some bacon and the pan.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #158

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Our pups will match the first condition, but be forewarned if my girl gets a wiff of bacon frying she'll softly whine until she gets both some bacon and the pan.
I know what you mean.....my wife has accused me of the very same thing!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:14 AM   #159

Name: Stan
Trailer: 2009 T@B
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Mine will look to see if I'm watching, analyse whether it's worth the scolding, then snag it. The drawback of having a dog that can see onto countertops. She's a good girl and well trained; ... but it's bacon.

I take my dog camping 90-95% of the time. She's my hiking, camping, skiing, snowshoeing buddy. It's why I have her. I try to be considerate and legal; but I expect the same. If dogs offend you, there are plenty of places where they aren't allowed and I won't take her there. She's leashed where required and off leash where allowed. I camp in the boondocks, for that reason. No neighbors = no one to annoy.

I sometimes cross creeks or snowfields where a leash might be dangerous. I put her on a sit-stay, cross myself, then call her. Not exactly legal; but the best I can do.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:07 PM   #160

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
LOL- on first reading I pictured you making the sign of the cross, praying your dog would come!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #161

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I saw a dog recently who was wearing a collar like this - The Company of Animals Halti Headcollars at PETCO

The owner said it was a wonderfully gentle way of keeping her pet under control. I'm thinking of getting a couple for my furbabies, who misbehave because hubby lets them and now I find them unpleasant to walk with!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:59 PM   #162

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I saw a dog recently who was wearing a collar like this - The Company of Animals Halti Headcollars at PETCO

The owner said it was a wonderfully gentle way of keeping her pet under control. I'm thinking of getting a couple for my furbabies, who misbehave because hubby lets them and now I find them unpleasant to walk with!
That is standard equipment for guide dogs in threading.

2009 Casita FD - Sold
Old 05-11-2014, 12:22 AM   #163

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Yup Haltie's have been around for many years now and are an excellent tool to use if you have a puller.... they can eat and drink with it on.... only down side is that you have to be careful not to use any of the old fashion leash type correction when the dog is wearing it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #164

Washington
That is very true. I have had two vets tell me that the Halti collar can cause damage to a dog's neck if not used properly. We use a pinch collar which.....again....if used properly is an excellent training tool especially for larger dogs. Our boy is about 80 lbs and can pull extremely hard.......with his pinch collar he is a well behaved dog and a pleasure to walk around the campground. We worked with a professional trainer to learn the proper techniques. Our girl is about 60 lbs and very well behaved......we use a pinch collar on her simply because she thinks every dog she meets wants to play. That is not always the case.......the collar helps her understand that. I will also add......both are dogs are trained to understand the sit, stay, down, come commands through both verbal and hand commands. We love travelling with them as much as they love going. Enjoy your travels and be safe.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #165

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
That is very true. I have had two vets tell me that the Halti collar can cause damage to a dog's neck if not used properly.
Yes! Which is why its important that anyone considering using one actually *reads* the information contained in the packaging when they buy it so as to know how to fit and use correctly.

If used & fitted correctly a Halti is not harmful to the dog & is the most gentle of collar type options one can use to stop a puller. Some dogs will try and convince you otherwise when you first put a Halti on them though. I suggest to people that they put them on the dog at home and leave them on them while at home for a number of hours each day - they will soon forget about it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM   #166

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I used a no-pull harness on Jack when he was younger. Won't hurt their neck, works very well, and doesn't bother the dog or anyone who sees it. (Looks just like a harness but the leash attaches in front so pulling pulls the dog from the front which causes him to stop.)
Old 05-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #167

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If used & fitted correctly a Halti is not harmful to the dog
They can't fit all dogs properly due to differing head / snout shapes. On some it may cause problems with the naso-lacrimal system (tear ducts).
Old 05-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #168

Washington
The only thing two dog trainers can agree on is that the third trainer's methods are wrong. With that said.......there are many methods that work. The key is to work with your dog so that both of you are enjoying each other and life. You can't beat a well mannered dog.....they are absolute joys! Good luck with your dog.....regardless of what type of collar you use!