Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #43

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
If your dog has a crate the dog may feel "safer" in that than having the run of the trailer. So much depends on the dog as to how they handle being left behind. Our current standard schnauzer has a fit of barking, then settles down. Our former shitzu would be bark, rest and bark some more. Our samoyed husky mix curled up and went to sleep, did not bark, more of a "watcher". As in he would watch you reach for the wide open window, growl once bare his teeth and watch to see if you could take a hint.

We don't do x-pen when camping but have a 6ft cable that we strech out and stake to the ground, this has about 6ft of lite chain attached with a ring. We tend to stake the cable along side the camper which allows dog to move around under our awning but not past the ends of the camper or to the far side of awning where coleman stove is.

Use her "working" leash as opposed to her "going for a walk" retractable leash when sitting around the campfire. She knows the difference judging by her reaction to which leash I have.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #44

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
If your dog has a crate the dog may feel "safer" in that than having the run of the trailer.....
So true. I leave the crate in the backseat of the truck while we are traveling, with the door on it opened. My Schipperke will often go into it on her own to sleep. Same in the camper.....with the crate in there sometimes she chooses it, but then she also knows she has the run of the trailer. Her favorite spot is on the bed because there are windows at both head and foot ends, and along the side ( front of trailer ). She can pretty much keep tabs on everything that way. But then, sometimes the place to be is stretched out on the dinette seat ( attached ). It's a dogs life.....

Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #45

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Our furkid, Jasper (an Australian Shepherd), goes with us all the time. He loves camping, whether it be from a trailer or a canoe. At camp, if needed, we tie out a length of rope that a lead can be attached to to give him some space, but to be honest we leave him off of it most of the time as he is trained to stay close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
does anyone have any experience with duck tolling retrievers...... we have a golden retriever now. just looking for a ittle info on how they travel temperment etc
I know a few of them, and love the breed. In fact, if I were looking for a purebred. it would be high on my list. Great temperaments in the ones I have met, fun to train, and I like the size as we do lots of hiking and canoeing, and while not huge, they have a ton of energy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissab View Post
It's too bad all the irresponsible pet owners are ruining it for the everybody else. The same with irresponsible parents making it difficult for well behaved children to be accepted.
*dons flame retardant jacket for next bit*
In my mind, the majority pet owners are irresponsible as far as the training of their dogs goes. I know they love them dearly, but do not put in the efforts to train them properly. By six months old you can easily have a dog fully trained with the basics; sit, down, stay, come and heel (with and without a lead). They should be trained to not bark too (when commanded). Putting in 30 minutes a day for the first 4 months ensures a lifetime of enjoyment of a pet that is under control, one you could take anywhere without worry, and one that people will appreciate the level of training it has.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #46

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Thanks Clive,
Here they are playing or dancing ... take your pick.
Attachment 46449
That is a really terrific shot of very handsome dogs!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #47

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Putting in 30 minutes a day for the first 4 months ensures a lifetime of enjoyment of a pet that is under control, one you could take anywhere without worry, and one that people will appreciate the level of training it has.
Training is a lifetime endeavour, if one stops training at 4 months, the dog will lose most of it by the time they are 2. Training is also related to breed and temperment. Here is a link to what the Rhodesian Ridgeback Club of the United States says about training.
http://www.rrcus.org/club/breedinfo/living.htm

Both ours have their CGC (AKC Canine Good Citizen) and one is a Therapy Dog. Believe me, a dog with a high prey drive can still be a handful at 3 or 4 years, even with continuous training. Great for hunting, lousy for being in public.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #48

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
*dons flame retardant jacket for next bit*
In my mind, the majority pet owners are irresponsible as far as the training of their dogs goes. .
No flames from me on that topic - by the time my last lab was six months he had earned enough training certification to be allowed in hospitals and most hotels as a very welcomed visitor. He was a very easy dog to travel with. But at six months I will admit that there is no way in the world that I would quarantee a solid off leash heal if a rabbit or squirrel happen to dart by...dont even think I could guarantee it under that situation when he was 12- although at that age he gave up the chase a little quicker resulting in a faster recall from it

What I have noted with the current small dog ownership being in vogue is that many owners dont treat them or train them like the real dog they are, so small dogs can develop some pretty bad habits. My favorite is when a small dog snaps at a person or another dog & the owner picks them up and cuddles them - while if it was a bigger dog misbehaved that way it would have earned itself a death warrant.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #49

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Training is a lifetime endeavour, ...
Well, of course it is. Constant reaffirming is always needed in some ways. But after the initial training, it is no more than a reminder, as they do know what to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
But at six months I will admit that there is no way in the world that I would quarantee a solid off leash heal if a rabbit or squirrel happen to dart by...

My favorite is when a small dog snaps at a person or another dog & the owner picks them up and cuddles them -
I could guarantee it with my dog. He will look up at me as if to ask "Is is okay Dad, is it okay". On the rare occasion, I will allow it, but usually when well away from other people.

What you describe there happens all the time. What the cuddling will do is to affirm to the dog that he is doing the right thing, as he is getting rewarded for his actions.

I have had 3 dogs of my own, and trained many more for friends (as well as the tougher part, training my friends). When I first read a book by Cesar Milan (and later watched some of his shows) I recognized someone who really knew and understood what dog (and owner) training was really about, and how the pecking order of dominance works. I imagine many have read and watched him, but for those that haven't, I would highly recommend it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 AM   #50

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
What you describe there happens all the time. What the cuddling will do is to affirm to the dog that he is doing the right thing, as he is getting rewarded for his actions..
YUP and thats the most basic part of training that many small dog owners just don't seem to get! Have come to the conclusion that a lot of folks dont take small dogs to obedience training simple because they are small and its way easier to just pick them up when trouble starts. But as you say that's a big part of how the trouble starts in the first place
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #51

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1975 ventura 400 towed by a jeep grand cherokee sometimes, and an ugly 89 dodge truck other times.
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
does anyone have any experience with duck tolling retrievers...... we have a golden retriever now. just looking for a ittle info on how they travel temperment etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Christie View Post
Alan I have 2 tollers who just love to go camping. Mine are very friendly and are very birdy. They even let me sleep with them in the trailer. Others I have met can be a bit aggressive and a little anti social. If you want the name of a really good breeder in Calgary p.m. me

Sandy C

I also have a duck toller. He's from a shelter, so not sure if he's a purebred, but he seems to be pretty close. Big fuzzy paws and ears so he stays warm in winter, excellent behavior, good swimmer, whines and squeals from time to time, but rarely ever barks. He sure loves travelling in the car, and sleeps all night curled up on the lower bunk.

He tends to get a bit crazy when he hasn't had his exercise, but I couldn't ask for a better dog.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 AM   #52

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Then there is Lily. She'll be 8 yrs old in a few months and has traveled her whole life. She loves the trailer because she loves the ocean and that's where we generally head with the trailer.

I purchased 3 of the 8 panel pens which are 24 inches high. I then separated them into 1 - 6 panel, 3 - 4 panels and 3 - 2 panels. This allows me to configure the size of Lily's yard depending on the campsite and how large or small I want the yard to be. It also allows me to put the entry door or doors where I choose.
Attached Thumbnails
2008-6-29 High Cliff SP site 81 WI #2.JPG   2010-5-3 San Lorenzo Co Pk site 87  King City CA #2.JPG  

2010-8-12 Clarks Fork site 18 B Hiway 108 CA #2.JPG   2011-2-12 Dome Rock Quartzsite, AZ 4.JPG  

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #53

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Eastern Ontario
Hey Drew that is a nice looking toller there. They sure know how to make themselves comfy where ever they are.

Sandy C
Old 08-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #54

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
i have only met a few tollers but i think i would like to try one out as they seem to be a nice breed.

we have 2 dogs now a golden retriever and a poodle cross ( both are used dogs)

i dont think i could handle 3 at once
Old 08-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #55

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
My Granny, what big eyes you have!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_5542.jpg  
Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #56

Name: Darrell
Trailer: 13 ft Ventura
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
My dog, Addie, is my sidekick and always goes with me anywhere I go. Exceptions are work and really hot weather. She's already claimed the corned of the bench seat on my Boler. I've only had it few days and am still cleaning. I'm amazed at 60 lb. she can curl up in-between the kitchenette and wall and leave most of the bench free. (border collie, golden retriever X)
We've got that mix-breed too. In the UK they've been starting to call them "Coltrievers."