Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 08:03 AM   #61

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
That is true, 5pm is dinner time and you can set the clock by my dog's actions. Maybe it is that dogs can not tell the length of time, one hour is the same as 4 hours to them, but you are correct, they can tell you when it is time to eat.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #62

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddo411
We've got *two* Bernese Mt. Dogs (berners). We bought the trailer to alleviate the headache of trying to find a motel that would take us.

I'm still in the rehab phase, so we haven't camped in our egg yet. Last year we put us and both dogs in a 8x10 family tent. We use two Xpens (30" high version) to keep them close by. I"m thinking of using popup kennels outside for sleeping at night. We'll see.
Great photo!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #63

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Here's a picture of us camping with the dogs.

Turns out both dogs want to sleep in side the camper. I can't believe they fit
Attached Thumbnails
image-3897486004.jpg  

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #64

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 19
California
We always take Baxter when we camp. He rides in the truck on a special platform on the folded down rear seats, and sleeps with us in the trailer. When we had the pop-up, it was the folded down dinette or front bunk. Now that we have the Escape, we set up the front dinette as a bed for him, so can peer out the side windows.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #65

Name: PaulOWindsor
Trailer: 2011 Trillium 1500 & 2002 Airstream 34
Ontario
Malibu (named after the rum..) our female miniature schnauzer is very much our fur-kid & it's a rare occasion that we don't have her along with us.

As miniature schnauzers do not shed, have no doggie odour (with a weekly bath..) & are less than 20lbs...they are wonderful dogs to have along in an RV.

We've also had great success keeping her contained (schnauzers have a HUGE prey instinct..) by having a "Kitty Walk" stroller, which allows us to take her almost anywhere you can take a baby in a human stroller.

For those who may be interested, here's the link to "Kitty Walk"... Kittywalk - Outdoor Cat Enclosures, Pet Strollers, Dog Beds
Attached Thumbnails
Mary & Mal @ Pops.jpg   Mal in Kittywalk.jpg  

PaulOWindsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #66

Name: Tonia
Trailer: Scamp 13' (1982)
Wisconsin
Shorty and Weener.....my camping bassets. This was my first season with the Scamp. They understand it's home away and wait by the door to be let in for bed MUCH sooner than I may be ready. I suppose camping is exhausting for the typical couch hound :-). But, Since we're still working on getting used to this type of camping, the dogs settle in to the Jeep if more than 15 minutes with AC on or top off the Jeep in the shade. If it's too hot, they aren't left alone. In my next life I want to be a dog with an owner like me :-). Pure easy street!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3762967030.jpg   image-2828028068.jpg  

image-3955922020.jpg  
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #67

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Funny! The whole reason I got into RVing is because of my dogs. I used to do the Porsche then BMW sports car thing but got a 4 legged family member and another to keep him company. I ended up buying a Toyota "Seabreeze" for a place to keep them. I soon realized that I didn't like hooking up and unhooking every time I wanted to go somewhere. Plus, if I stopped anywhere hot I can't leave the dogs in a vehicle without the AC going. A small camper with AC where they can be left comfortably works perfect for me while I'm out eating or shopping.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #68

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
glad i found this doggie thread. i had a mini schnauzer for 15 yrs and now have a shihtzu/maltese/yorkie mix. i taught her to be good around horses when she was young-i didnt do that with the schnauzers and it became a problem. but my problem with her is she scratches on the screens in my casita if i leave her alone in there...and there are a lot of screens! i'm wondering if anyone has this problem...i'm trying to figure out how to put a temporary barrier for the few times i have to leave her alone.

the schaunzers kayaked with me for years...but i havent gotten the new one in the boat yet. soon i hope.

malibu has a longgggg beard! mine got loose twice in their long lives and both times they were gone! twice local ppl caught them and held them til i could catch up.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #69

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
We have a 5 yo JRT and 6mo old JRT. The older girl has been with us several times, but the younger boy has only been once for an over nighter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2719950908.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	57970

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-597037236.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	57971

The smaller smooth coat is the girl, the larger rough coat is the boy. As you can see they also go on the boat with us.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #70

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
glad i found this doggie thread. i had a mini schnauzer for 15 yrs and now have a shihtzu/maltese/yorkie mix..... but my problem with her is she scratches on the screens in my casita if i leave her alone in there...and there are a lot of screens! i'm wondering if anyone has this problem...i'm trying to figure out how to put a temporary barrier for the few times i have to leave her alone.

the schaunzers kayaked with me for years...but i havent gotten the new one in the boat yet. soon i hope.

malibu has a longgggg beard! mine got loose twice in their long lives and both times they were gone! twice local ppl caught them and held them til i could catch up.
I have seen many people at dog agility trials use a nylon "pop-up" dog crates. They range from really lite weight frame of wire that springs into shape such as this one Boots & Barkley® Large Pop Open Dog Kennel : Target

To some that have thin poles such as one would find in a bag chair or dome tent. Such as this one. Amazon.com: Firstrax N2-36 NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home: Pet Supplies

Some are pretty heavy duty material, others are pretty lite duty.

Since they are not metal if the dog really digs at the screen in one or does a lot of chewing they can damage it. On the other hand they take up little space and weigh very little and take a lot of damage before becoming unusable.

Helps if your dog is already crate trained at home to be comfortable being inside it. Our girl considers her crate to be her private "cave" and will choose it as a resting place on her own.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #71

New Hampshire
roger-i guess i should look into those...she is crate trained but the one i have is metal and heavy and i am all about being light these days.

i wonder if those jrt's bump their head on the ceiling? the ones i knew were like bouncy balls...up...down...up...down
Old 04-22-2013, 09:26 PM   #72

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
[QUOTE=RogerDat;380757]I have seen many people at dog agility trials use a nylon "pop-up" dog crates. They range from really lite weight frame of wire that springs into shape such as this one Boots & Barkley® Large Pop Open Dog Kennel : Target

We have tried this one, have not been pleased with it.Wind will blow it over and the fabric will get runs & tare. Even if your dog is crate trained.It is good as a place for them to hide with their blankets ,to just go in & out of.

To some that have thin poles such as one would find in a bag chair or dome tent. Such as this one. Amazon.com: Firstrax N2-36 NOZTONOZ Sof-Krate Indoor/Outdoor Pet Home: Pet Supplies

This type crate is very good,once they are crate trained, see them all over at dog shows. I have used one like it for years there are lots of brands & price ranges for this style and I have found them to be stredy and easy to use.Pet stores;Walmart;Target and many other places have something like this.I like the ones that have a zipper on top as well as a front zipper.That way you can give a fresh drink or treat without getting down to open the front.( more ways to get in means more $$)

This one we also see a lot of at dog shows: Search - collapsible pet pen - Camping World

They can also be found at pet stores and at on line pet catalog suppliers.I gave the camping world sight because I was getting ready to order this one for our camper. Light weight,folds up flat good to use inside & out.

So if you want to crate all the above are good ideas. If you want to leave them free in the camper & protect your screens then I would consider: something like this example: Amazon.com: screen door guard You could cut down something like almost any of these to work on your door or windows.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #73

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Watch out for those collapsible pens. My friend lost her dog at a dog show when she escaped from it- they are NOT very secure. Expens are better (the metal kind) although unfortunately they weigh a lot more. Her dog is a 20 lb corgi. (Luckily after a two-day search they found her about a mile away- not stolen, people saw her run.)

I have Noztonoz crates but they will not contain my Houdini corgi- he eats through them. (Expens won't contain him, either, though.) I use an airline crate for him or a tie-out when we camp, but always in the crate if I'm not able to be right there watching. The other two will stay in the Noztonoz, and I like them because the covers are replaceable if they wear out (or get chewed.) I've had mine for about 7 years.

I'd love to find a lighterweight fencing for dogs- I was just looking at various kinds of mesh fencing to see if I could find anything. Jack, the Houdini dog, will stay on a tieout but he weaves in and out of everything that stands up or has holes so he ties up very fast. (It's actually quite impressive.) But I don't want to carry tall Expens (even if they'd keep him in, which they might with a top) because of the weight.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #74

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
I use the "great crate" from precision pet dot com. It will fold down flat and only weighs a few pounds. No dog ( not even Houdini dog ! ) can escape from it. I keep it set up in the back seat, ( with the crate door open ) of the truck while traveling, because my Schipperke likes to get in there and sleep sometimes as we drive. It's nice at camp too because I can set it up outside while I'm sitting out, and prop a large golf umbrella over it for shade if need be. Also found a water/food dish that attaches to the wire crate on the inside with a bolt/wingnut, so she can't spill her water.

I got all of it at the petsmart store.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #75

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
My last guy loved his crate so much he had a big melt down when he was about 5 and I redid my kitchen. I decided we could live without his large crate in the kitchen - he apparently didn't agree with that design decision. LOL Often had visitors ask what my dog had done wrong that he needed to be locked in a crate - I would point out that there was no door on the crate and it was just his prefered spot to sleep when someone was home & we might see him up on the couch which was actually his much prefered spot ;-)

I have used the wire crates that fold down but as mentioned if it a larger dog they are pretty heavy as are the exercise pens. As a result I have also used the plastic crates but the ones that have the levers on the sides that make it simple to take the two halves apart (dont have to deal with a bunch of screws to get it apart). Just flip the top of the crate over to fit inside the bottom section for travel if the crate doesn't fit into the back of the vehicle fully set up.

Small metal buckets (found at most pet stores) and a double ended snap hook also works well on wire pens or crate doors from keeping the water from spilling.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #76

New Hampshire
lynn-thx. a lot of info there. especially at the amazon search. ( Amazon.com: screen door guard ) i would prefer to have her free when i leave her inside. there are a lot of options.

i wonder how much the noztonoz weighs. i couldnt find it on there. i have the "great crate" and it is heavy for me. online it says 14lbs. it is safe and sturdy-i used it when i had 20lb dogs....now i have a 9lb

i'm glad i asked on here cuz i didnt realize the light ones would blow away...i often camp on a cliff overlooking the ocean...and its windy...and a long way down! i guess you should stake the crate if its light and windy.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #77

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
lynn-thx. a lot of info there. especially at the amazon search. ( Amazon.com: screen door guard ) i would prefer to have her free when i leave her inside. there are a lot of options.

i wonder how much the noztonoz weighs. i couldnt find it on there. i have the "great crate" and it is heavy for me. online it says 14lbs. it is safe and sturdy-i used it when i had 20lb dogs....now i have a 9lb

i'm glad i asked on here cuz i didnt realize the light ones would blow away...i often camp on a cliff overlooking the ocean...and its windy...and a long way down! i guess you should stake the crate if its light and windy.
yes, nine pounds sounds about right. I guess we all have our own idea of what "a few pounds" is .....so I consider it a light enough choice. I got the cage for dogs "up to 25 pounds" even though she only weighs 10 pounds, so she has a little more room to move around. Yes, she is just a "little" spoiled . I have no idea how she got THAT way....
Speaking of pets, I just got her a new tag made from boomerang tags. I like it because it is curved and attaches right on the collar strap, rather than hanging down. The one that hangs down got caught in the floor vent at home one day, sending her into an all out panic when she raised up with the vent attached and dragging along with her !
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #78

New Hampshire
i read thru most of this thread and see there can be problems camping with dogs. i've had dogs and horses my whole life and also taught 30 yrs and raised 4 kids so i "get" behavior mod and training. most of my life i had large dogs but about 20 yrs ago had to switch to smaller dogs that don't shed because of allergies. first i had schauzers then the shihtzu/maltese/ yorkie mix i have now.

i went to obedience school with all of them. the kids went with the first two because they were still living at home. the dogs all did well with the training but in each case things happened later to change their behavior.

the one i care about now is the 9lb shihtzu mix. she was very happy, everyone was her friend, no growling or barking (except at groomer...that's a whole other story) until she was about 18 months and we went to a new dog daycare. she was used to beiing out with 14 dogs under 20 lbs but they had been introduced gradually and pecking order was established and all were fine together. at the new daycare she was alone in a large room with one staff and ready to meet the dogs. i assumed they would send in small dogs one by one.. they sent in 5 greyhouds all with muzzles on. granted...they couldnt bite her...but they were big and i think even a paw could hurt her. i wouldnt say they acted aggressive either...but my girl was overwhelmed and got herself in a corner and snapped and growled at them until i stopped it.

then her best buddy from next door- a male corgi - who she had played with at his house loose in the yard for 6 months-came over on a leash one day with his owner. my dog went to the owner for a pat and he attacked my dog.

she is changed. her first response now is to not trust who the new person or dog is...as much as she wants to play and meet them you can see she is scared. i have set up situations for her to meet quiet dogs and dog-friendly people-not quick moving kids etc...and that continues to go well.

but it would be normal for her to bark if she was in the car and someone approached. so i assume that is what she will do in the camper.

my question...since many of you are very experienced in both dogs and camping...is how do you train a dog to not bark at strangers? she does not get picked up and cuddled when she does it. she is reprimanded and if she doesnt stop she is removed/isolated-which i have learned is the worst punishment i can give her. she is beginning to understand "no barking. she's my friend. she's a good girl" or "no barking . he's the mailman. he's a good boy".

these little dogs really do understand sentences...maybe big dogs do too. i learned that with the schnauzers. but if you know how i can stop this barking at strangers and odd noises and growling(she has only snapped once) if the person keeps coming at her...please let me know. she is only 2. she is worth fixing. but i havent figured it out-and it came after those two traumatic events.

ps-i wont use one of those electric zapper things
Old 04-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #79

New Hampshire
george-is that a pic of your dog...a few pages back. black on the dinette seat? she looks more than 10lbs. i've never heard of that kind of dog. have to check them out.

i have pretty bad hand arthritis so there are many things i have trouble with now. carrying and opeing the metal crate is hard. so far i can still hook up!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #80

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm surprised that someone doesn't make a better quality flexible dog cage made with braided cable mesh that really is secure, but light weight and fold-able. They make absolutely everything else for dogs.