Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 9 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #161

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I saw a dog recently who was wearing a collar like this - The Company of Animals Halti Headcollars at PETCO

The owner said it was a wonderfully gentle way of keeping her pet under control. I'm thinking of getting a couple for my furbabies, who misbehave because hubby lets them and now I find them unpleasant to walk with!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #162

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
I saw a dog recently who was wearing a collar like this - The Company of Animals Halti Headcollars at PETCO

The owner said it was a wonderfully gentle way of keeping her pet under control. I'm thinking of getting a couple for my furbabies, who misbehave because hubby lets them and now I find them unpleasant to walk with!
That is standard equipment for guide dogs in threading.

2009 Casita FD - Sold
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #163

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yup Haltie's have been around for many years now and are an excellent tool to use if you have a puller.... they can eat and drink with it on.... only down side is that you have to be careful not to use any of the old fashion leash type correction when the dog is wearing it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:36 AM   #164

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
That is very true. I have had two vets tell me that the Halti collar can cause damage to a dog's neck if not used properly. We use a pinch collar which.....again....if used properly is an excellent training tool especially for larger dogs. Our boy is about 80 lbs and can pull extremely hard.......with his pinch collar he is a well behaved dog and a pleasure to walk around the campground. We worked with a professional trainer to learn the proper techniques. Our girl is about 60 lbs and very well behaved......we use a pinch collar on her simply because she thinks every dog she meets wants to play. That is not always the case.......the collar helps her understand that. I will also add......both are dogs are trained to understand the sit, stay, down, come commands through both verbal and hand commands. We love travelling with them as much as they love going. Enjoy your travels and be safe.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:00 PM   #165

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
That is very true. I have had two vets tell me that the Halti collar can cause damage to a dog's neck if not used properly.
Yes! Which is why its important that anyone considering using one actually *reads* the information contained in the packaging when they buy it so as to know how to fit and use correctly.

If used & fitted correctly a Halti is not harmful to the dog & is the most gentle of collar type options one can use to stop a puller. Some dogs will try and convince you otherwise when you first put a Halti on them though. I suggest to people that they put them on the dog at home and leave them on them while at home for a number of hours each day - they will soon forget about it.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #166

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I used a no-pull harness on Jack when he was younger. Won't hurt their neck, works very well, and doesn't bother the dog or anyone who sees it. (Looks just like a harness but the leash attaches in front so pulling pulls the dog from the front which causes him to stop.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #167

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If used & fitted correctly a Halti is not harmful to the dog
They can't fit all dogs properly due to differing head / snout shapes. On some it may cause problems with the naso-lacrimal system (tear ducts).
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:50 PM   #168

Washington
The only thing two dog trainers can agree on is that the third trainer's methods are wrong. With that said.......there are many methods that work. The key is to work with your dog so that both of you are enjoying each other and life. You can't beat a well mannered dog.....they are absolute joys! Good luck with your dog.....regardless of what type of collar you use!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #169

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
The only thing two dog trainers can agree on is that the third trainer's methods are wrong. With that said.......there are many methods that work. The key is to work with your dog so that both of you are enjoying each other and life. You can't beat a well mannered dog.....they are absolute joys! Good luck with your dog.....regardless of what type of collar you use!
LOL isn't that the truth. Currently being retrained myself in the newest and greatest training method.... hoping the dog finds it easier to learn than I do!
Old 05-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #170

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL isn't that the truth. Currently being retrained myself in the newest and greatest training method.... hoping the dog finds it easier to learn than I do!
Good luck with the training. We used a trainer and learned a lot from her....funny thing.....I think she was training me more than the dog. We're both pretty well trained now......although my wife thinks I could use a little more!! Enjoy that dog....and.....safe travels!!
Old 05-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #171

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I don't get the whole campgrounds idea. . I avoid them and that is why I decided on a truck camper. I can park it anywhere including right by the front door of a rest stop, store or downtown parking place.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:38 AM   #172

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Though restops and the such are convenient, and I have used them for quick stopovers, campgrounds can often offer way more facilities it the form of washroom/showers, fire pits, tables, service hook-ups, laundry, convenience store, quiet, and so on. Plus, most of the ones I seek out are in a great setting.

I do mostly boondock, but do sometimes enjoy a campground when travelling on an extended holiday.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 AM   #173

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Halti collars work because the natural reaction of a dog to having their head/nose pulled down is to move back, so the dog quickly decides not to pull. Does have to fit the dog and requires dog have a chance to learn the desired behavior without triggers such as other dogs or squirrels to avoid extreme force. Our girl simply won't pull against it, she learned/knows the difference between that and regular leash.

As she gets older and mellows out a bit seldom use it, may still use it at public events with many dogs attending to avoid any temptation on her part to pull. She is calmer towards others on a halti then her regular collar. Less inclined to do her "oh boy people! My favorite!" approach to meeting folks.

Trainer always trains the handler, dog is just getting some practice in while you are learning how ;-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #174

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Ohio
I will pass this on whether it fit's or not. If you are training a dog make sure you are smarter than the dog. Sage advice from my father to me.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #175

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I will pass this on whether it fit's or not. If you are training a dog make sure you are smarter than the dog. Sage advice from my father to me.
Your father had wisdom, most dogs are very good at training their owners. Owners good at training their dogs is sort of a maybe yes maybe no proposition.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #176

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Though restops and the such are convenient, and I have used them for quick stopovers, campgrounds can often offer way more facilities it the form of washroom/showers, fire pits, tables, service hook-ups, laundry, convenience store, quiet, and so on. Plus, most of the ones I seek out are in a great setting.

I do mostly boondock, but do sometimes enjoy a campground when travelling on an extended holiday.
True, some of the provincial parks are pretty amazing. I use military campgrounds often also. '

This weekend, I'm scouting some boondocking locations in forest lands. These don't allow camping but I don't think it will be a problem. I'm just looking for low impact camping, overnight parking mostly while I work on my boat. I am hoping I can find a horse barn that will allow me to camp.

I did find a free campsite not too far from my boat at a YMCA camp, provided kids are not present which gives me a number of weeks until Jun 22rd and after late August.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #177

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Part of being smarter is the ability to understand the dog you are training. Here is one "experts" view on training and head halters.
The Problem With Head Halters | Suzanne Clothier

Food for thought.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:51 AM   #178

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
Well, two weeks of camping, mostly in COE, State or national forest campgrounds in about 9 different states and the verdict is? No problems. Who knew Ollie was a traveling dog! He loved having the back seat, along with his kennel to hang in while driving....and at campgrounds, he stayed quiet and happy on his leash the whole time. A few barks here and there if a dog went by....but not always....just occasionally so we never could figure out why some dogs required a bark and others didn't. However, it didn't bark on and on as some did. Well, because we won't let him!, he slept well on his bed in the camper and was altogether a happy camper dog and I don't believe he bugged anyone, any more than anyone bugged us! So, I'm happy to say, camping with my fur all is going to work just fine!,, thanks for all the advice. We mostly had very positive experiences at all the campgrounds....no loud music, parties or generators going all night...pleasant all around. Looking forward to our future travels. Karen
Old 05-25-2014, 03:10 PM   #179

Name: Barb
Trailer: Casita Spirit
Ohio
We are currently camping at Rocky Mountain RV park in Gardiner Montana with our dogs. Almost everyone here has one or more dogs, limit is two, but several people have four dogs,one person has two Bichon, one Maltese and one toy Poodle. The other person i happen to have known for about 16 years, they brought 4 Standard Poodles with them. The latter comes here every year and stays the month of May, then he comes back in September also. I guess because they are regulars and their dogs are extremely well trained (show and hunting), they are allowed to bring four in. We have been here a week, onky two times have i heard barking, one was from the 4 Poodles RV and it only lasted about 3 minutes; the other was from the dog next to us, an Australian Shepherd that if he is out when another dog goes by, he barks ferociously and tries to pull the senior owner's arm out of joint. I asked the first time we left the camper with our dogs in it if the dogs had been barking while we were gone and got a reply that they didnt even know we had dogs. We are at a private campground and i would give it a 10 on a scale of 1-10.
pwdohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #180

Name: Travis
Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16ft
Colorado
We are big dog people and we take them anywhere we possibly can. We have a couple of old timers and a younger one that does a great job pestering the older ones.

Pete, 13

Sadie, soon to be 15

Patsy, 3

CO Dude is offline   Reply With Quote