Have Dog Will Travel! - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2014, 05:31 AM   #121

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
We've got a 12 yo 9 lb Maltese. Just retired and we're going to be starting more extended trips this year, up to 5 weeks. For 2 week trips we have no problem dropping her off with family but won't do it for longer. Not sure how this is going to work out as she may not like staying in the trailer if we go out, she seems to bark for a bit when we leave her alone in the house but settles down pretty quick. Will have to do a bit of experimenting with the radio on and such and see what happens, or she goes everywhere with us. Thankfully she's small and doesn't mind the Sherpa carrier, but it still limits what one can do if sightseeing is the goal. Headed to Yellowstone where they are pretty restricted, whereas a month or so next winter in Fl should not be an issue.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #122

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBirder View Post
Duck Toller?
Yes she is a duck toller

We have had her a few months now
Awsome puppy

And yes very sweet and cute as a button
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #123

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
What a sweetie!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM   #124

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Not sure how this is going to work out as she may not like staying in the trailer if we go out, she seems to bark for a bit when we leave her alone in the house but settles down pretty quick.
Good luck on that. My wife claimed that Charly, the beagle, just slept when we left her in the trailer. I wasn't comfortable with that at all.
I won the argument when, parked close by another couple, they told us that the dog had barked, yelped and whined the entire time we were gone.
I think the problem gets worse as Charly ages.

So, my wife tours the museums and galleries, and I sit in the car with the dog. Told you I won the argument.
Attached Thumbnails
charly fire 1.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #125

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I have a long leash that I use for my dog, tied to the trailer. I bought my dog his own chair and made him stay in it. He loves it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392576710.190521.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	68299

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392576639.686966.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	68298
Old 02-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #126

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
This a picture of Buddy at the Outer Banks of N.C. He is now 16 years old but doesn't look his age. He has cataracts; the sun hurts his eyes, so he actually loves wearing his glasses. He thinks he's pretty cool in them also.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #127

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
very cute, all of them...
Old 02-16-2014, 10:00 PM   #128

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
We always travel with our dogs.....would not consider a trip without them. Both are rescued dogs....a 70 lb cattle dog mix and a 80 lb beardog/lab mix. Great companions...love to walk and see new sites. I like my dogs more than I like most people.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
-Will Rogers
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #129

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
He thinks he's pretty cool in them also.]
Oh Man but he is cool!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #130

Name: Joan
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392778979.808081.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	68359Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392779003.945984.jpg
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	68360Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1392779054.612994.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	68361oro

Our dog, Chinle, toured some national parks and let us come along. We have utilized some doggy day ares when we wanted to hike in the parks. She is a great traveler and we take her on all our trips.
JoniS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:21 AM   #131

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1394975925.588936.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	68943
My new pup. Daughter of my other Portie. She is four months old now and I have raised her from birth. Porties are half demon from hell and half shark at this age.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #132

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
Attachment 68943
Porties are half demon from hell and half shark at this age.
LOL with those sharp teeth at 4 months most breeds are.

Oh puppy luv! Sweet!
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #133

Name: Rhonda
Trailer: 1976 Boler "Small Scale"
Ontario
Smile Have dogs, will travel?

We just purchased our trailer and I hope the dogs will comfortably share the space with us. Our Frenchie is a little couch potato but we inherited an Old English Bulldog about four years ago and she is like a bull in a china shop. I have been reading about exercise pens. Has anyone tried to rig up fencing attached to the poles for a free-standing awning/sun shade? I am thinking about rigging up something with a gate (?) - here's where the hubby may come in handy!

I'll include pics if we have any success. In the meanwhile it is comforting to know that many of have fur people that are terrific trailer mates.
smallscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #134

Registry
I have noticed a lot of people with smallish dogs as you have use a child's portable play yard type plastic fencing that can be purchased at Walmart. Much lighter and not as tall as the large metal x pens I have that were designed for large dogs.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #135

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Don't know the exact size of your bulldog but if it's about 18 - 20 inches at the shoulder you would need at least a 2 ft. high enclosure.

Ex Pens have a gate Amazon.com : Midwest Gold- Zinc Indoor/Outdoor Exercise Pet Pen, 24"W x 42"H : Pet Playpens : Pet Supplies

Depending on how your dog will react to a passing dog you might be able to combine pen for the gate with the plastic fence Carol suggested. If on the other hand your dog tends to be rambunctious about wanting to go see other dogs or passing people you might want to go with multiple ex pens and just latch them together. They are designed so they can be combined by latching them onto each other.

One is 16 ft. of fence, whole 10 x 10 canopy is 40 ft. so you should be able to use 3 pens and extend it past canopy or just fold a panel or two so they double up to make it shorter. I should warn you that is a lot of metal, you should hit the pet store and check the size and weight of one before getting 3. One is probably big enough for two dogs, two is more than enough space. But if you wanted to make your canopy into a yard you would not be the first person to do so.

I use a cable with a chain on it. The cable is about 7 ft. and the chain 6 ft. The ends of the cable have a loop. I stretch the cable in a straight line and stake it down to the ground through each end loop with 16 inch barn spikes with a washer on them.

Because the dog has nothing to walk around that sticks up they don't get chain wound up. Because the area the dog is in is more of a rectangle than a circle it's easier to align with stuff so they don't get tangled with poles, chairs and such.

When they pull against the cable the chain slides rather than allowing the force to pull on the stakes. Pulling in line with the cable both stakes are taking the load. My husky broke his collar without pulling the cable loose.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:25 PM   #136

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Ex pens

Hi, check out the wire Exercise Pens on Amazon or at Drs. Foster and Smith or Pet Edge. They have all different heights and the taller ones will have gates. They are 4' x 4' if you set them up in a square and fold up into 8 panels. You can add a top if you need to. I have a 48" tall one with a walk through gate, i.e. I can walk through it standing upright. It is heavy enough that the dogs can't move it very easily and I can stake it down. It stores in my Scamp's bathroom when we pack up. I set up a shade tent over it but an EZ Up would work even better. Good luck!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #137

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
We are just starting out with our first trailer. Recently retired and plan on a 3 month trip out west next winter. We have an 11 yr old Cairn terrer.. He is a sweety with people but on leash, can be a problem with other dogs. We have taken him to obedience class and other interventions. He is ok off leash, but for some reason, go nuts on leash...and growls and gets nasty. Well, obviously he will on leash...and we do know how to handle him firmly....but if anyone has any tips, let me know. We will start out with little trips. Last year we went out for a weekend camping trip with him and he fine but there weren't many dogs around and our campsite was rather secluded. I just want everyone to be happy. . Give me your experiences if you have any to share. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #138

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I have been looking for a temperature alarm that will notify my phone if the temp in the trailer goes too high...never know when the ac will quit for whatever reason!

Does anyone have, or know of an alarm that seems to work well?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #139

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
We are just starting out with our first trailer. Recently retired and plan on a 3 month trip out west next winter. We have an 11 yr old Cairn terrer.. He is a sweety with people but on leash, can be a problem with other dogs. We have taken him to obedience class and other interventions. He is ok off leash, but for some reason, go nuts on leash...and growls and gets nasty. Well, obviously he will on leash...and we do know how to handle him firmly....but if anyone has any tips, let me know. We will start out with little trips. Last year we went out for a weekend camping trip with him and he fine but there weren't many dogs around and our campsite was rather secluded. I just want everyone to be happy. . Give me your experiences if you have any to share. Thanks.
Have you tried a "pinch" collar? If used properly......they are a very good training and control tool. They do not hurt the dog.....better than a choke chain. We have had many dogs.....one of our current dogs is 70 lbs and very strong. He was difficult to control. Took him to a trainer who raises German shepherds and she taught me (as well as the dog) how to be in control. He walks by my side, sits on command, goes to a down position on command, will stay when I walk away......he's really a joy. We travel with two dogs......they both now do well in camp grounds...love to go on long walks. Try the pinch collar......good luck! Safe travels.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #140

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
He is ok off leash, but for some reason, go nuts on leash...and growls and gets nasty.
Is that with one or both handlers?
If only one, could be protecting that handler.
Or it could be a fear thing, can't escape if tethered to a handler.
Have you tried a flexi leash?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote