Have Dog Will Travel! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2011, 03:25 PM   #1

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
Have Dog Will Travel!

How about some discussion among those of us who bring our dogs along? I bring my australian shepherd with me to agility trials in a 13' Scamp. We love it! Not much room for anything else on the floor, and I keep a lot of stuff in my vehicle. She sleeps under the bunk. I set up portable fencing all around the camper to make a big play yard.
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I met Roy from Ontario's dogs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, last year. They take them with them for some kind of training/shows, and set up playgrounds for them. Beautiful dogs! Big dogs!

We are cat people but have not tried to bring any of our cats. We travel to see the sights.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:25 AM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
As you can see I love my Dog!
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I camp a lot with my four corgis. I started using tie outs as well as an xpen though, for the weight. How many xpens do you use to surround the trailer, what size, what kind? One of my boys can escape an ex pen so easier to put him on a tie out.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
I actually call the trailer the dog house. I travel for extended periods with two McNabs (short haired Border Collie). My 16' is set up specifically for one human (me) and the 2 dogs. They each have their own bed (den), and other accommodations. One den is a space I made in the lower part of the closet next to the stove. The other is under the dinette. They like to hole up when it storms. It's hard to imagine better traveling companions. I also have a special compartment built into the access cab of my truck where they ride down the road. It has a lexan barrier with holes for plenty of air, a padded floor, and other amenities

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:26 AM   #6

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghaus View Post
How about some discussion among those of us who bring our dogs along? I bring my australian shepherd with me to agility trials in a 13' Scamp. We love it! Not much room for anything else on the floor, and I keep a lot of stuff in my vehicle. She sleeps under the bunk. I set up portable fencing all around the camper to make a big play yard.
I'd like to see your portable fencing. I've experimented with various ideas, but haven't really found a great solution. Something that packs small and light, but opens big and strong would be great. That's a tough one. My dogs won't escape from anything that they are put into. I could use cardboard, but I worry about other dogs or animals getting in. I bought a portable chicken coop that is made of wire mesh panels that screw together. It is pretty nice but takes up room and is kind of a hassle to set up. The same thing in alumimun would be nice, but doesn't exist.

David
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #7

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Midwest Exercise Pen Gold 36"
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The title to this thread conjures up images of Richard Boone taking Jon Provost's place on "Lassie" as little Timmy Paladin.
The intro could be disastrous though with Lassie center screen and Paladin doing that quick draw thing!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #9

New Hampshire
It's Electronet - electrified livestock netting. We also have sheep so that is why I had some in the first place. I don't actually electrify it when I'm using it for my dog, but I supposed one could in order to keep other things out. A roll is 156' long and weighs a couple of pounds. Rolls up pretty small. Works really really well.
premier1supplies.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
I'd like to see your portable fencing. I've experimented with various ideas, but haven't really found a great solution. Something that packs small and light, but opens big and strong would be great. That's a tough one. My dogs won't escape from anything that they are put into. I could use cardboard, but I worry about other dogs or animals getting in. I bought a portable chicken coop that is made of wire mesh panels that screw together. It is pretty nice but takes up room and is kind of a hassle to set up. The same thing in alumimun would be nice, but doesn't exist.

David
Old 11-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I have used 6 to 8 of those x pens around the camper if making a yard around it. I have also used one x pen with a x-pen cover on it for the escape artists.
Dogs sleep in kennels under the beds at night. I have Maltese so they don't take up much room.
Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
2 Newfies and Girlfriend stay at home. Makes for great camping to me and the Newf's don't think they can climb into the Egg anyway,thank God!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #12

Arizona
Quote:
It's Electronet - electrified livestock netting. We also have sheep so that is why I had some in the first place. I don't actually electrify it when I'm using it for my dog, but I supposed one could in order to keep other things out. A roll is 156' long and weighs a couple of pounds. Rolls up pretty small. Works really really well.
premier1supplies.com
That is awesome!! My gosh I've been looking for years for something like that and never heard of it! Course I have never hung around any sheep ranchers. Even the 42" 164' roll double spike is just $129 and weighs just 15 pounds . The option to electrify is a great bonus too.
Thankyou for that tip!
David
Old 11-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The title to this thread conjures up images of Richard Boone taking Jon Provost's place on "Lassie" as little Timmy Paladin.
The intro could be disastrous though with Lassie center screen and Paladin doing that quick draw thing!

"What's that Lassie? What's the problem?
Timmy fell in the well?
Yes Lassie, you are right. That's the third time this week that idiot kid fell in.
So what do you think I should do Lassie?
Yes, you're right, Lassie. Let's see what's on TV."
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:13 AM   #14

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
My dog, Addie, is my sidekick and always goes with me anywhere I go. Exceptions are work and really hot weather. She's already claimed the corned of the bench seat on my Boler. I've only had it few days and am still cleaning. I'm amazed at 60 lb. she can curl up in-between the kitchenette and wall and leave most of the bench free. (border collie, golden retriever X)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #15

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I love the electronet idea. I could power it up on one trip to convince Jack he shouldn't try to escape, and that would do it. Do you have a photo of it in use? What do you do for a gate?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:19 PM   #16

New Hampshire
Exclamation caution using the sheep fence

I just open the end when I'm going in or out, and sort of loop the top strand over the other end's post to help hold it closed.
Regarding dogs and electric fence, be very very careful about this. The modern chargers give an extremely painful shock. I've had a couple of terrible experiences with other dogs getting shocked on our farm, and freaking out, taking off, and getting lost, and I could imagine a dog never feeling comfortable again inside the enclosure. Or hating your camper forever and ever if they associate the camper with the shock. I almost wish I hadn't mentioned it, but it is working very well for me and I wanted to share that. I don't introduce my dogs to it anywhere near the camper, and they are in a bigger enclosure. I bait the fence so that they touch it with their nose instead of sticking a leg through or trying to get their body through it. It's possible for animals to become very badly tangled in this fence. I know someone who's cat got tangled in it and died. So be careful, ok? Not to be used without some supervision. If I was leaving them in it unsupervised I would do an ExPen enclosure. Much more secure and stable, and safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I love the electronet idea. I could power it up on one trip to convince Jack he shouldn't try to escape, and that would do it. Do you have a photo of it in use? What do you do for a gate?
Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #17

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
We are cat people but have not tried to bring any of our cats. We travel to see the sights.

CindyL
Maybe DonnaD can help on this one,but there use to be a member here that took their cats along with them.( I am sure there are still some here that do ) What I thought was great about their cat set up was they had a neat cat pen that connected to one of their storage bay doors,so their guys could be inside or out and still be safe. I think they called it their cat hotel.....it was kind of an exercise /crate type pen.

As far myself and DH we have 2 Chihuahuas....they are 10 and 4.They think the camper belongs to them,but they do let us go along and stay with them...LOL! DH designed and built them a special xpen type crate that has a top on it.We don't worry about them getting out so much as we worry about something getting in.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #18

New Hampshire
This is how we Scamp at agility trials.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp for FRV list.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #19

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
if you want to electrify the premier fence, you can go to Electric Fence, Horse Fence, Electric Fencing, PowerFlex Fence for information regarding a small portable charger that you push into the ground. the small chargers use D cell batteries. I occassionally use both for my sheep.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #20

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
This is how we Scamp at agility trials.
Great picture,sure like the set up. Our oldest DD & Hubby are at Agility show this week end. Don't know how they did today but last week they got 2Q's each. So far their shows are close enough for them to day trip both days of the show.

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote