Kayaking - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #1

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Kayaking

Even in the snow
Attached Thumbnails
Loaded Up & Ready to Go.jpg   OK - So it might be a little cold..jpg  

Sled-yakking.jpg  

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #2

Name: Petra
Trailer: Big Foot camper
British Columbia
Wow, you are one brave soul, lol.
We are strange people, we go camping in the winter (really from September until about May) and then it gets too busy for us. But that is the time, when we go kayaking. Living on Vancouver Island, there are endless possibilities.
Our best kayak trip was New Years 2006, when we took the kayaks out and paddled into the bay, stopped there and had a piccolo while we watched the fireworks and lots of seals watching us.....our best New Years ever, lol.
Do you do many overnighters? Are you close to the Ocean?
mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #3

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Wow, you are one brave soul, lol.

We love to Kayak too...(Cobra set on tops) have done #3 rapids in them but nevr any ice and snow. Just don't like the cold wind on the water. Think if I was in that area I would just have to give it a try though

Happy Camping.....Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

South Carolina
Registry
I dunno about brave...more to like that we are just a mite crazy...as are our kayaking friends.

We live in the northwest corner of SC in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The ocean is about 4 1/2 hours away from us.

We've not done any overnight kayak trips, but we do go to a campground, day kayak and the go back to camp for the night. There is one river...the Edisto River that starts mid-state and goes to the ocean that we'd like to do. Our new boats are 14 1/2 foot touring kayaks so they'd probably hold enough gear for a 2 or 3 day trip if packed properly.

We've not done white water above class 2 since we really prefer water that moves a bit slower than that. Don't mind a few riffles and an odd shoal or 2, but that's about it.

Our goal is to configure our tug so that the kayaks will ride nicely on top as we set about our adventuring across the country when we give up the sticks and bricks to hit the road a couple of years down the road.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 01-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Great fun. I've only been in a kayak once but enjoyed it. Um, that last picture looks like you "floored it" in reverse! Paddled backward right up the bank.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:02 AM   #6

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Um, that last picture looks like you "floored it" in reverse! Paddled backward right up the bank.
Ha.

That wuz our feerless leeder....he decided to see if his 12 footer would also work as a sled on the iced over snow pack...I photographed him for posterity.

Camping and kayaking...our favorite outdoor sports.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We broke out of the Atlanta ice storm last week to go kayaking and camping, but headed to FL to do it (paddled with the manatees on Crystal River).
Here's a picture of our rig when we finally got warm enough to scrape the ice/snow from the hood of the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1907 (Small).JPG  
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #8

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
We broke out of the Atlanta ice storm last week to go kayaking and camping, but headed to FL to do it (paddled with the manatees on Crystal River).
Here's a picture of our rig when we finally got warm enough to scrape the ice/snow from the hood of the TV.
We wanna head back down now that we have Li'l Scamp taking the kayaks to do the same thing.

We just have to get her tweaked and get a new tug as my 1995 S-10 is pretty much spent for anything beyond relatively local.

How often do you tow the Scamp with the Subaru? Any challenges on hills and such?

Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #9

South Carolina
Registry
Now that we have Li'l Scamp we want to head back down the Gulf coast with the Kayaks to do the same thing.

Li'l Scamp needs some tweaking first and we needa new tug since my 1995 S-10 is pretty much spent except for relatively local tows.

How often do you use the Subaru? Any challenges with the hills & mts.

Luv your Dodge, BTW (ooh, ooh...said a la Tim the Toolman Taylor)

J of J&C

Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
We wanna head back down now that we have Li'l Scamp taking the kayaks to do the same thing.

We just have to get her tweaked and get a new tug as my 1995 S-10 is pretty much spent for anything beyond relatively local.

How often do you tow the Scamp with the Subaru? Any challenges on hills and such?
I've only towed the Scamp with the Subaru once as a test to see how it performed. I had to remove the battery and one of propane tanks and fill the fresh water tank to do it in order to balance/lower the tongue weight for the test, because the Scamp 16 tongue weight currently exceeds my 200 lb Subaru tongue weight limit. Once I make permanent adjustments to the Scamp I'll use the Subaru more often. I did use the Outback to tow my popup all the time and I got in the lower 20 MPGs with it.
The test was successful on the interstate and also small hills in this area so eventually I'll make the permanent weight adjustments.
I like the Subaru because it's one of the few vehicles that has the tow capacity for a Scamp with a 4cyl engine that still can get 30 MPG on the highway when not towing. It has a great safety rating too! It's low enough to make loading kayaks easy too!
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote