Like your opinions on a new version of molded fiberglass trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #15

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
1. I like the simple design aka ease of maintainence, although I would like light weight drawers and doors factory installed.

2. V-6

3. Bought fiberglass camper for it's light weight, ease of towing, and easy set-up.

4. See 1,2,3

5. Not much

6. Would not buy it without a bathroom (the larger the better).

7. Never

8. No opinion

The ideal camper would be as wide as the EggCamper, appx 20' long, with a larger bathroom, have built in drawers, light weight, all electric. AND COST $10,000

Art

Old 02-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Mark and Tara
Trailer: 2005 13' Scamp
New York
Wow, great responses! Thank you so much! Please do still answer questions in my survey. I see mostly six cylinder SUV or truck owners liking their 13 foot but prefer to have bathroom and side dinettes. Bathroom to be bigger and go camping rather than tailgating. I think the cliche here is mostly camping. I am not a tailgater but I have a concept that is made for tailgating. I am not going to scrap that design because I am sure it will be great for tailgaters. Maybe the termology is not clear. I was thinking not just for sports but great for fireworks, field days/state fair, etc. Just a day drive to huge events that you can tailgate for such as in an example: my area in Central NY (Syracuse), we have NYS Fair, Turning Stone major events, many trade shows including RV, Boat, Big East Snowmobile Show, Chamber of Commerce Show, craft shows, etc.. all great within an hour. Also Oswego Harborfest (this year at the Harborfest is the Wanderlodge RV meet) and the Syracuse Nationals.

Most are at the State Fairgrounds except for Oswego Harborfest (best fireworks at Harborfest in upstate NY area says many.) All of those events I go for a day.. and I thought okay.. people seem want to cook their own since food are expensive at events. A soda at the State Fair--depends on where.. it cost 2 to 3 dollars for small can. Not bottle. Coolers not allowed so why not at your own trailer? At end of day, go home. That is what I was trying to find answers.

After I realized, I will have to design a 2nd version. More livable inside with some outside AND a bathroom large enough. Somewhere between traditional (like Scamp, Trillium, Casita, Escape, etc) and a new tailgating type of trailer. No, the tailgate is not like those lunch wagon. Far from it but leaning toward to that way. I can not reveal more on here with my concepts. Reason to the patenting and need to.

In 1972, I came up with IFS for production snowmobiles but I did not know anything about patent and Arctic Cat came out with that in 1979. That is a 7 years space of time. If I did, I would have gone have a drink with Trump, Gates, Jobs, Zukenburg, and many more guys on Wall Street counting each other money. Hahha. The latter part I am joking but the IFS concept is real. So, patent is important for me.

I will finish up with the tailgate version then I will make a new version for the trailer you all want and what my wife and I want. When built, I will sell it and see if it picks up. When I do, then I am on my way to see the big shots. hahaa. no. haha. I will actually built and built till its big enough to be a major company, I pray!

Old 02-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
For tailgating, the thing that comes to mind is a teardrop trailer with the back end opening up to reveal a kitchen. They make those. There's even a FG one called Teardropp, same company that makes the Eggcamper in Michigan.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Additional Input

With the headline of $6 gas on the way in the USA and some already paying near that in parts of the country.

My most important design parameter is that it have a low, aerodynamic frontal area, minimal weight and be capable of being towed by the smallest fuel efficient vehicle possible.

These prices will instantaneously put a crimp on anything but local camping. For many, even those pulling small trailers it will meana $1 every 2 or 3 miles.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #19

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I seldom use a campground, so the ability to camp off the grid is important. I like the 13-15 ft fiberglass trailers as they hold-up to off-road conditions better than stick built units, and are light enough for my Jeep wrangler to pull (rated to pull 2000lbs). Large fresh water storage and Solar would be nice, with batteries in a trap door compartment right over the axle. This would free up the tongue for more use(stow box). Aluminum frame, aluminum wheels, light-weight aluminum floor with cork flooring. Storage space glassed in place (no rivets) for potential leaks would be desired. A Port-a-potty with shower is fine if in it's own room. Seldom spend much time in-doors and never tail-gate.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Since I'm from Oswego I'm quite familiar with Harborfest, and have to agree that the fireworks are spectacular. I haven't attended in recent years (been traveling) but here is a link to some of the past celebrations: Harborfest 2008.

Although not exactly tailgating, for a number of years the city of Oswego allows dry camping along the river during the festival (they charge the same as they do for tying a boat in the river. A great way to avoid being part of the 150,000 people driving out of the city after the fireworks!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYEggerstobe View Post
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer?

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle?

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons?

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer?

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom?

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events?

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new?
1. I actually believe that fiberglass design is not quite so simple. "Stickbuilt" trailers are more simple, utilizing boxy house construction that is much cheaper to produce. For the most part the idea of a molded fiberglass body is much more complicated to realize, thus the higher expense.

2. I have a V6 "Minivan".

3. Actually, no.

4. A "Stick-built" trailer is just a portable house you drag down the road. A Molded Fiberglass trailer is a vehicle (or vessel) that you can inhabit. Like an automobile, boat or airplane, a Molded Fiberglass trailer is a sculptural work of art.

5. If sleeping counts for 8 hours per day, then other indoor activities may total another 4.

6. A bathroom is a necessity! The Robinsons of Lost in Space couldn't count on parks with hook-ups and facilities, and I enjoy similar adventures in my wide-open-spaces ship.

7. The Chargers or The Padres? Get real.

8. The older brands. Classics.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:50 PM   #22

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment.

I like the vaguely modernist curvy lines.

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer?

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle?

I picked the type of trailer that I thought could be reasonably towed by the 4-cylinder car that I already had. No interest in sizing up in the car department - as a certified tree hugger, fuel efficiency is a priority.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons?

My Burro is my first ever trailer like this. I went molded fiberglass first because stick built trailers of similar size tend to be heavier, and in the process of learning more decided that the better longevity sounded pretty good.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer?

A couple of hours for second breakfast/nap/photo processing/lunch between morning and afternoon photo outings, then dinner prep and eating, more photo processing time before sleeping. Actually a significant amount.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom?

I went with a no bathroom model because I wanted to keep it simple for my first trailer, and because of weight issues as a beginner. But if I ever upgrade I'll get one with a bathroom/shower.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events?

Nope! No interest in that sort of thing.

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new?

I long for a Bonair Oxygen as my next trailer, which I guess is no longer in production.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #23
Commercial Member

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Since I'm from Oswego I'm quite familiar with Harborfest, and have to agree that the fireworks are spectacular. I haven't attended in recent years (been traveling) but here is a link to some of the past celebrations: Harborfest 2008.

Although not exactly tailgating, for a number of years the city of Oswego allows dry camping along the river during the festival (they charge the same as they do for tying a boat in the river. A great way to avoid being part of the 150,000 people driving out of the city after the fireworks!
Hahaha, I know how you feel about the fireworks. They really do put a great show. However, hated that traffic after the fireworks. That is why we really stopped going about 4 years ago this July.

Anybody else interested in going. Plan ahead to park away from the city so you can get out a bit easier or do not go to the fireworks. It is only on Saturday night. The traffic is crazy. One time it took us to leave till 2 am! We always leave at end of fireworks.

The reason till 2 was we thought maybe wait till all traffic die down but it was not. It was still a lot of traffic. Most of the roads are single lane each way until you reach near Fulton, Interstate 81 or if coming from Rochester, not till near Irondequet. That is quite a way out there.

When I was younger, in 1980s's..that time was in high school, just driver's permit.. well, I thought I get smart by riding my bike compared to my mom's car. We lived in Fayetteville at the time and the fireworks in Manlius. I actually beat my mom and my brother by riding my bicycle than riding in the car. I wanted to show that slower means of transportation wins. Heard of the Rabbit and the Turtle children story? You know who won?

Funny thing, I wish I rode with my mom in 1982 because of another long story. Hahaha. I will end that here.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
Commercial Member

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
With the headline of $6 gas on the way in the USA and some already paying near that in parts of the country.

My most important design parameter is that it have a low, aerodynamic frontal area, minimal weight and be capable of being towed by the smallest fuel efficient vehicle possible.

These prices will instantaneously put a crimp on anything but local camping. For many, even those pulling small trailers it will meana $1 every 2 or 3 miles.
Already am designing with more sloped aerodyamics. Already some stickbuilt and the teardrops DO have those means. Even the old pre-1950's trailers have good aerodyamics. Why didn't they keep that way? Noooo, I believe they saw gas was still so cheap and can make a brick shaped trailers all the way to last decade, the 2000's.

Now some new models this year and last year for the stick built really shaped nice aerodynamics. They moved seating or dinettes up front because that is reasonable where the lowest point ceiling in an RV is.

One time they had that nice looking aerodynamic travel trailers from Fleetwood in 1980 and it lasted 2 or 3 years. Then they went back to flat nose. I think I have that brochure and I will look that up and scan it and put in here.

Yes, I do collect brochures. Most of them 1975 and newer. I went to rv shows but never saw fiberglass egg trailers at all. Except for once, as my good memory serves me (has a mind like that character in the show Unforgettable), I saw a Burro in year 2000 CNY RV show (another of that show is next weekend at NYS Fairgrounds). I have a flyer type of brochure for that Burro. Never saw the brand at the show again.

I have a friend who also collect brochures. He may have some older RV brochures. Walter Miller Automotive Collection. Recently on ebay I saw a 1977 5er Scamp flyer brochure.

Back to aerodynamics. I designed my more sloped than any of the brands, old or new.

About tailgating. It has that 13 foot trailer size like a Scamp, Trillium, etc but the design is flip flop.. You all will have to wait till I file patent first then you all can have a sneak peak. I know about teardrops have that but my design is more hybrid. Total new concept.

If successful, I will be building one then my business plan works this way: what one becomes 2 orders becomes 4, 8, 16, etc..

So there you have it.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #25

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
wouldn't mind one with shania twain installed....but wifey wouldn't go for it
Old 03-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #26

Name: Bruce T
Trailer: Compact jr
Indiana
Registry
no peek....no poll answers
Old 03-14-2012, 08:12 PM   #27

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Aerodynamics must be applied to rear as well as front of trailer. The air coming off the back side is very important. Consider Bucky Fuller's car design, which tapered the rear more than the front.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #28

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
1.) Do you like the simple design of a molded fiberglass trailer like you have at the moment. Yes, easy maintenance and easy to clean

2.) Do you have a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder vehicle to tow your trailer? 6 cylinder (Chev Trailblazer)

3.) Did you buy the fiberglass trailer for economical sense such as to combat against gas guzzling, fewer or lower powered vehicle? No, bought because it is small enough to sit in a residential driveway and not look offensive in size.

4.) Do you prefer molded fiberglass egg trailer (Scamp, Bolens, Burro, Etc.) rather than a stickbuilt trailer (Fleetwood, Coachman, Dutchman, etc) for what reasons? Yes, little maintenance, better overall durability, and easy cleaning inside and out.

5.) How much time besides sleep time did you spend inside a trailer? In and out during the day, changing, getting food/supplies, movies, naps etc.

6.) Do you prefer to have bathroom installed or no bathroom? Bathroom is very preferable with shower.

7.) Do you host tailgate parties often at your favorite sports event or state fair events or special events? Not really

8.) Do you like the brand names that are no longer in operations or something new? Really doesn't matter as long as it is a quality product, the Little Snoozy seems like a good new model to me, it would be on my list to consider if I was in the market for a new one.