making little buildings - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 05:51 PM   #21

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior closeup.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	101892

Name:	santa fireplace.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	101893

Name:	open bay window.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	101894
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #22

Oregon

Name:	front-view.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	101895

Name:	acorn-cottage-interior.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	101896

Name:	acorn-cottage-bay.jpg
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	101897

Name:	acorn door.jpg
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	101898
Old 12-28-2016, 05:56 PM   #23

Oregon

Name:	5.Carol9_FIX-660x971.jpg
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	101899

Name:	japanese pagoda.jpg
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	101900

Name:	madprk.jpg
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	101901

Name:	lighthouse large.jpg
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	101902
Old 12-28-2016, 05:59 PM   #24

Oregon

Name:	wings.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	101903

Name:	seaside1.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	101904

Name:	feather3.jpg
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	101905

Name:	DSC00128.jpg
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	101906
Old 12-28-2016, 07:47 PM   #25

Oregon
Currently on the workbench...in progress photos of a cottage. I build as much as possible from "scratch" rather than purchasing commercially made components. I don't buy strip wood from hobby shops, I cut it to size from large pieces of lumber.

Name:	shed foundation.jpg
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	101908
Scratch meaning I might actually go to an old quarry site for a particular type of stone for foundations and features such as the drain for a sink coming through the wall.

Name:	cliff.jpg
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	101909

Name:	sink drain.jpg
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	101916
Or buy a large chunk of soapstone from a supply house and then split and dress the stone into the sizes I need. Then I shape it into things such as a fireplace or a stone sink with a natural edge.

Name:	sink(1).jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	101910

Name:	apron.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	101911
Sometimes I need to figure out a process for creating realistic scale items such as old looking bricks.

Name:	watercolorbrick.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	101912
I often need to be a "blacksmith" and forge various bits and pieces of metal into antique style hinges and latches for windows, doors and shutters. Then take them through an aging process to achieve the appropriate patina.

Name:	hinge preview.jpg
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	101913

Name:	hinge1(1).jpg
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	101914

Name:	latch.jpg
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	101915
Old 12-28-2016, 10:27 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
A little building

Hi KC,
What is the size of the current building you are working on?
I saw the ones you made into birdhouses, so that limits the size. Very cool!
It's hard to tell how large the lighthouse-type structures you made were, though. All look like beautiful craft. Well done, KC!!

I once made a dollhouse from scratch for my kids. Had shingles on the roof, but I purchased those ready made. Nice project.

I just finished not so little building, a 8' x 6' pumphouse. Finally built a structure that came out 'square'. Previous constructions were slap together chicken coops. The tough thing about the pumphouse was that the equipment was already in place; I had to build around them. :-) But it was fun.
Attached Thumbnails
IM006389.JPG   IM006406.jpg  

francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:46 AM   #27

Oregon
Hi KC,
What is the size of the current building you are working on?
It is created in 1inch equals 1 foot scale. I am not sure exactly what it's dimensions are likely around 2 feet or so tall. My working drawing files are not on this hard drive.

"I saw the ones you made into birdhouses, so that limits the size. Very cool!
Some of the birdhouses I make are quite large. I typically build those for people who have estates with large gardens. The light house is just about 4 feet high for the main structure. It is now located on a waterfront property on an island. It does shine light out through a fresnel lens.

Sometimes I do multi bird boxes in one structure, other times there might only be one bird box within the structure. The boxes the birds live in are always created to the correct size for the bird types in the location where the piece will be situated and they always have proper ventilation, insulation such as protection from hot sun, drainage and also access for clean out.

Name:	gate8 study.jpg
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	101921
For instance this illustration is the design for one of the commissioned estate type birdhouses that I am building this next year. It only has one average sized bird box inside of it. The rest of the year after the nesting season is over it will serves as a lighted garden sculpture. The piece is 3 feet high by 30 inches in width and 20 inches in depth. It is inspired by the half timbered gatehouse structures from the Elizabethan age in England such as the one at Stokesy Castle It will have a lot of carved details on it. This one will have a copper roof that will be aged with a chemical patina. It is going to be located near Dallas Texas. That harsh climate would quickly destroy any thin, real wood shingles or even thin ceramic shingles. It will have chicken house insulation...ie Reflectix in the attic to protect the bird box. There will also be solar power from a remote panel for ventilation and for night time use as a garden light shining out the real leaded glass windows I will put into this structure. This is likely the last of the estate sized bird houses I will build as I don't want to have a big workshop space anymore.

I have designed and built two custom designed garden sheds. One of them I did have to build around pumps and filters for an existing swimming pool.
I have also designed a workshop building. I have photos of those around somewhere but not on this computer. I no longer own the properties they were built on.

All look like beautiful craft. Well done, KC!!

....Thanks, your shed looks well done as well. It always feels good to accomplish such things for oneself
Old 12-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #28

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
You are truely an artist and we are just amazed at the work you do
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:07 AM   #29

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Very fine work, KC. You get some nice gigs! I guess word gets around about you and these extraordinary little buildings you make.

All I can say is "WOW!"

Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:21 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Nice stuff! I enjoyed checking out your handy work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 PM   #31

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Really amazing. It takes real patience to work with small, detailed structures like those.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #32

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I have really enjoyed seeing these photos as I like to do miniature models also. Do you belong to a Miniature Club, KC? I am also interested in the discussion on creating a mini FB trailer. I would like to give that a try. I did make a vintage travel trailer from a kit but would really like the FB challenge.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #33

Oregon
Attachment 102073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
I have really enjoyed seeing these photos as I like to do miniature models also. Do you belong to a Miniature Club, KC? I am also interested in the discussion on creating a mini FB trailer. I would like to give that a try. I did make a vintage travel trailer from a kit but would really like the FB challenge.
Hi Bob,

No I don't belong to miniature clubs. Although now and again when I have it in my budget I do pay dues to some of the national associations such as IGMA...International Guild of Miniature Artisans and N.A.M.E.. National Association of Miniature Enthusiast.

I have no plans to make any models of a fiberglass trailer or any other RVs now or at anytime in the future. Therefore I am not going to discuss that subject any further in this thread. I will let those of you who are interested in it start your own threads on that subject. I am sure there will be much interest in it and some lively discussions.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #34

Oregon
Magic Castle light show for my FGRV

I found some color changing tea lights in my local Fred Meyers store. I am using them to light the micro sized Castle I designed and sell as a kit. It makes a fun holiday project as well as a cute light for any time of the year. You can see in the video that this light does a slow fade change between colors rather than flashing.