Mountain Dulcimer - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #61

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
Sweet! I'm envious lol...1 day. Life has been kinda busy...need to go down for a lesson but the weekends are filling up already

deryk

Don't worry about lessons, just start playing. If you want a song to play look up tabs for Frere Jacques (Are You Sleeping). Just keep strumming. The more you strum the easier it'll be.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:25 PM   #62

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Well the instructor I found, next session he will startteaching me chords which will open up some more music. I just kinda have a busy life lol... workin 2nd shift limits me doin only so much before work... and the weekends are filling up. 1 camping event in march...have 3 already scheduled for april lol

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #63

Registry
Funny Story

Last month we were camped at Las Vegas Bay in the Lake Mead Recreation Area. I was sitting out side playing my Mountain Dulcimer when part way through playing Nut Factory Shuffle I heard what sounded like a bird singing with my playing. Anne was in a better position (not so close the dulcimer) to hear than I. My hearing wasn't so bad after all, that silly Grackle was singing along and keeping in time and tune. I wish I could have gotten a recording.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #64

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Last month we were camped at Las Vegas Bay in the Lake Mead Recreation Area. I was sitting out side playing my Mountain Dulcimer when part way through playing Nut Factory Shuffle I heard what sounded like a bird singing with my playing. Anne was in a better position (not so close the dulcimer) to hear than I. My hearing wasn't so bad after all, that silly Grackle was singing along and keeping in time and tune. I wish I could have gotten a recording.
I usually just make dogs howl.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #65

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
That's a great story!
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #66

Registry
A little video

Byron playing the Mountain Dulcimer, made by Black Mountain Instruments. Song title Black Mountain Rag.
Attached Files
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #67

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Sounds Great! I need to practice but life has been hectic

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #68

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Hey I'm a uke player too. I realize this is an old discussion, but I've just joined and am happy to hear that RVs & ukes are made for each other. Maybe because they're so small? If so, my harmonicas should feel right at home too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55goddess View Post
Ukuleles and fibreglass RVs are made for each other. My husband and I always travel with our ukuleles... a great way to spend an evening in a tiny trailer and a great way to make new friends around the campfire.
I have made little ukulele hammocks mounted above the side windows on our Trillium Outback to keep them safe and out of the way when we are not strumming.
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #69

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Brown View Post
Hey I'm a uke player too. I realize this is an old discussion, but I've just joined and am happy to hear that RVs & ukes are made for each other. Maybe because they're so small? If so, my harmonicas should feel right at home too.
But how about a banjo ukelele? Mine is a '30s vintage Slingerland with the original skin head and a fancy birdseye maple body.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #70

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Oooo! The bird's eye maple sounds beautiful!
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #71

Registry
Dulcilandia, Oregon

WOW what a great week-end of music. KG 39 was a great music festival near Portland Oregon. KG stands for Kindred Gathering and 39 was the 39th annual event. Lots of music played solo or in a group. Other instruments besides dulcimers were also use or no instrument other than vocal cords.
Pot luck dinners and home cooked breakfasts were great, I don't know how much the good food helped the good music.
I'll try to keep this group posted on when and where next years KG will be held. I know it'll be some place in northern California, but that's all the known at this time and most likely the first week-end in August.

Cost -- You won't believe it... They were asking for donations from around 60 people to cover the $800 cost to put the vent. I'm sure they got it.

After a few days rest I'll be ready for the next. Too bad I have to wait a full year.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #72

Registry
New Dulcimer

I just finished building a dulcimer. I used a Cedar Creek Dulcimer kit. When the kit arrived the sides were formed and attached to the tail block. The fret board was made and slots for the frets were done. Everything else I had to do. Here's some pictures of the end result.
Attached Thumbnails
Cedar Creek Kit.jpg   Cedar Creek back.jpg  

Cedar Creek Sound Holes 1.jpg   Cdear Creek Sound Holes 2.jpg  

Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #73

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Mountain Dulcimer

Bryon,
Your Dulcimer looks GREAT! We live fairly close to Mountain View, Arkansas. There are a lot of dulcimer players in Mountain View! Maybe, you can come up and do some real picking! Hope to see you some time? I have a dulcimer and have not learned how to play it! When I retire it is on my list of things to do!!!!!

Carl
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:15 PM   #74

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
I carry my dulcimer in a black ballistic nylon "assault rifle" case of the suitable length. People who don't know me see me coming with that case and fear that I am carrying an assault rifle. People who know me see me coming and fear I am carrying...........

my dulcimer!

Froggie
Attached Files
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #75

Registry
dulcimer 2 - YouTube

Latest video of latest dulcimer.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #76

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
There will be an Ozark Dulcimer Gathering, in Mountain View, Arkansas, from September 21 through September 27, 2014. Every body is welcome, just bring your Dulcimer and a chair. Come and have a good time! Lots of music and fun!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #77

Registry
Death Valley February 2015

We'll be in Death Valley the last week of February through mid to late March 2015, camped at Sunset Campground. There's at least 2 other people that will be there with Mountain Dulcimers in hand. We'll be there with our Scamp and Dulcimer.

If you're so inclined come and join us for some great music and conversation. Other musical instruments are also invited.

No instrument come and enjoy the music and friendly conversations.

There are two campfire pits in Sunset so an evening jam around the campfire is possible.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #78

Registry
Christmas Music

I see the stores are all decked out for Christmas. So it must be time to dust off Christmas songs learned last year or the year before and start learning some new to me songs.
Any other dulcimer players getting your Christmas music ready?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:58 AM   #79

Trailer: Boler 1984
"You've come a long way, pilgrim." (Will Greer)

Nice looking instrument and good music too
Jim

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #80

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Trillium
South Carolina
Yes I play the Mtn Dulcimer not too well but I love it. Play with a group in Sun City Hilton Head. I take it with me when we camp. I am the Bonnie half of Dennis77
Dennis77 is offline   Reply With Quote