My other hobby of course is dogs... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Sara is our 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. She passed her therapy dog test last summer but we didn't get her registered until this winter. We hadn't really made a match for her visiting until today. She spent a couple of hours visiting with a young autistic boy today and I couldn't have imagined a better result. He's actually been going through a dog fear stage recently and as we left he made me promise that I would "bring my Sara visiting dog back again"

Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I have four Welsh corgis (all Pembrokes) ranging from Merlin, the guy in the stuck bolt thread, who is 12 1/2, to Jack, who is five. All have done agility, currently only Jack is competing. Candy, who is also in a cart, competes in Rally obedience. I also manage a cart-loan program for CorgiAid, an organization that helps to fund vet care for corgis in rescue.

In my former life (first wife) we raised, bred, trained, showed and competed in obedience, as well as conformation. From that background, I am wondering if the corgis and similar long-backed and short-legged dogs have many back problems due to climbing and/or decending the steep stairs of the typical egg?

Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #17
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
I show Beagles.

I show them how to do stuff and they show me how they ignore it.
Me too! Although, that's not entirely fair to Dolly, my 'good' Beagle. She & I have done a little agility & obedience and she is a dream. Still stubborn and food-obsessed, but capable of learning. Her little brother, Jax? He's my 'show' beagle. As in, after 8 months of obedience work, he's showed me! He knows sit, and that's all he's willing to offer. He's adorable and terrible in equal measure.

I'm about to take off on a trip that will take me, the dogs, my sister and my 13' Uhaul from Boston to Portland, OR to Vancouver to Jasper-Banff-Calgary to Boston. Wish us luck!
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A

In my former life (first wife) we raised, bred, trained, showed and competed in obedience, as well as conformation. From that background, I am wondering if the corgis and similar long-backed and short-legged dogs have many back problems due to climbing and/or decending the steep stairs of the typical egg?

Merlin's problem is a genetic disease related to ALS, called degenerative myelopathy, and has no relationship to long backs as it occurs in many breeds. There is a DNA test for the gene for it, (only two years old) and anyone buying a puppy from a susceptible breed should make sure the breeder is using the test. It occurs in corgis, boxers, GSDs, French bulldogs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Chessies, Great Pyrs, poodles, and to some extent in most other breeds, but the above ought to have genetic testing before being bred.

Candy has IVDD which does occur mainly in long-backed dogs, but it is probably also genetic rather than being caused by jumping or the long back specifically. No gene found for that one yet (UC Davis is working on it.) The rupture itself sometimes occurs upon jumping, but it is caused by disintegration of the cushioning gel in the disks.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
Name: Bill & Sandra Hanna
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra

Well, wanted to chime in about our cute foster dog, Reggie! He has had his shots now and been neutered and has fully recovered from that. He is a wonder, loving companion and loves walks on the beach and playing ball and frisbee. He is 55 pounds of rusty short fur with a big grin and floppy ears! Ready to adopt. Give us a shout out on our email if you're in Texas and would like to visit Reggie. Here's some pics to get you excited.

Click image for larger version

Name:	reggiesmile2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	29703

Click image for larger version

Name:	reggie_ali.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	29702

Name:   reggie_full.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  4.3 KB

just email us if you'd like to visit Reggie.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #20
Name: Donna
Trailer: 1975 and 1979 Boler 13 foot
I have 6 dogs all mixed breeds, all rescue and now used as therapy dogs.
All love kids and can't wait for September for school, so they can visit.
We actually named our 79 boler..`THE DOG POUND`
Donna Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #21
Trailer: Casita
We have 3 poodles. One 2 year old male miniature (Cesar)..American born... and two 6 year old litter-mate female toys (Angel and Sassy)...Canadian-born. Nicely named for their personalities. Cesar (unfortunately) unlike his namesake is a big WIMP who whines whenever we aren't within sight. He's the problem.

We've even tried one of those ultra-sound gizmo's...and it worked for awhile. But we are going to the Goshen, Indiana Escapade in a few weeks in our Casita and are concerned about leaving them in the trailer when attending seminars and other events.

Not the greatest introduction... but a realistic one<sigh>

Pen man
Pen Man
Joe Lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #22
Name: Denise
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
Oh good! I've three dogs as well, they are American Staffordshire Terriers, Bella, Ranger and Dante. Bella is at the intermediate level in agility and doing extremely well. I'm thinking that the little camper will be great for traveling to those agility shows when she's ready! Which I'm really looking forward to!
73 Amerigo FG-16
DeniseinMaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #23
Name: Carmen D
Trailer: 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
We have a rescue dog. He is 4 years old, 100 lb. Blackmouth Cur. I named him for what happened, Chance, we were his last Chance and his only Chance. A very different breed and very smart. He has an attitude but he's my baby.
Carmen D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:15 PM   #24
Trailer: Casita
there so,so neat...I've alway wanted one, but some one told me they was high up keep, I have a day now that keeps in in the vet's....
Emmitt G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:04 PM   #25
Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
I have two Nova Scotia Duck tollers, non of which have had any shots, .... thank god, ....they are horrible, please do not give your animals booster shots year after year after year, this is a passionate subject to me, you will be harming your dog if you do, ....and they are both RAW FED, ...they eat MEAT with some bones and some organs, is also killing your animals slowly, ..........and they are also eating other dogs when eating kibble...........

anyways, the older one, Bodhi (2 Yo) does agility and dock diving, and Kenna who is 4 months, she is starting agility tomorrow, and basic obedience on wednesday......can't wait
pbraunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #26
Trailer: 2010 19 ft Scamp 5th Wheel
I love all your pets - short or long legged. Your pictures make me smile. We couldn't leave Neko, our Japanese bobtail rescue, home alone while camping, & she is too much of an escape artist & homebody to take on the road, so we got her a kitten, Tillie, another rescue. Many many thanks to our dear son for all the cat sitting he does when we are on the road.
Attached Thumbnails

Ellen B is offline   Reply With Quote