My other hobby of course is dogs... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have four Welsh corgis (all Pembrokes) ranging from Merlin, the guy in the stuck bolt thread, who is 12 1/2, to Jack, who is five. All have done agility, currently only Jack is competing. Candy, who is also in a cart, competes in Rally obedience. I also manage a cart-loan program for CorgiAid, an organization that helps to fund vet care for corgis in rescue.

I know we have at least one other corgi person and at least one other agility person here!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita
Corgis, them are those short legged dogs with big ears? We have six cockers, dont do the show thing anymore, Our latest is s show dog rescue. Amazing how people can treat these beautiful animals like clothes, use them then simply discard. Any way those trials are great fun to watch.
shane n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Hey we are a Corgi family too
We have Lena our 31/2 year old Cardigan Welsh Corgi.
Miss Lena is just our crazy family pet who keeps us smiling and laughing with her funny Corgi smiles and Aaaarrrrooooos!
Attached Thumbnails
Leana.jpg  
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I show Beagles.

I show them how to do stuff and they show me how they ignore it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #5

Registry
Quote:
I show Beagles.

LOL, I do a lot of that with corgis, too! Merlin, my beagle-colored corgi, is the worst, though.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I try to show our Munchkin cat (short-legged cats like Corgis), but he fits too well under things. He is a one-person cat.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Toby.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
Quote:
I try to show our Munchkin cat (short-legged cats like Corgis), but he fits too well under things. He is a one-person cat.

CindyL
We seem to have a shorted legged animal theme going on here!
Your kitty is so sweet looking....just want to give her/him snuggles!
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Kudos to all animal lovers! I, too, cannot understand why pets are sometimes treated so poorly. Through the years I have adopted several animals that were neglected or abandoned.

In the past I have participated in gun dog and obedience training, but that's not my thing. I do use what I've learned to teach my pets some manners. (Well, the dogs anyway. The cats are another story!) Love watching agility and wish something like that was close to home!

I really like Dobermans and when my 15-year-old passed on I found Nigel at Doberman Rescue. He's a 95-pound Blue and thinks he's a lap dog!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
My dogs have long legs! We have two Airedales. The larger is a also rescue. I would love to meet Nigel.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Quote:
My dogs have long legs! We have two Airedales. The larger is a also rescue. I would love to meet Nigel.
Well, since we're both in MN that is likely! We have a daughter now and are planning lots more outdoor activities with her in mind. (Which is why we've moved from our 13' to a 16').

Our desktop crashed a couple months ago, and although all data was saved, I haven't transfered any of it. I'll have to dig out a photo of Nigel to post.

Nigel has always captured a lot of attention. We thought the baby would steal the show, but Nigel still grabs it all! Last fall we attended a local outdoor art fair with the baby and Nigel. As usual, people rushed over to pet the Dobe. Baby got her share of attention, but Nigel got more!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
We have two Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Definately in the longer legged group.

The eldest is Sara. She's two and has been trying a whole lot of different activities over that time. So far she's got a hunt title (we don't hunt), herding instinct certificate (sheep), and her Therapy Dog papers. She loves to lure course and last fall we started straight racing.
Trouble's not a year yet so this summer will be the first real chance to try any organized activities. Can't wait to see what his interests are.... so far it is stalking squirrels.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #12

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
No wonder you need a bigger trailer! We could probably make our cat a camping cat. He would not come out from under the bed the whole time, so we would not need to worry about safety. He was a rescue, as are all of our cats. The farmer on the farm where he was born was going to shoot him.
We have another one from the same farm, different year. For you Lord of the Rings fans, the little male is called Tobias (Toby) while the female is called Elanor (Ellie).

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Ellie.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 01:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Escape
Registry
In the picture, you will see me, Kathleen, and dogs Hughie, Radar and Dixie. The dogs are Cardigan Welsh corgis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wholepack.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	27674

Hughie used to herd, play flyball and do obedience - he has titles in all of those fields. Radar is getting ready for herding trials next month. Dixie is a former farmdog who now spends as much time as possible on the couch getting skrtiches.

They all have web sites at http://moonset.ca, as does our much-missed Sparkey.
Ron Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #14

Registry
Yay, more egg-corgis!
Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Sara is our 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback. She passed her therapy dog test last summer but we didn't get her registered until this winter. We hadn't really made a match for her visiting until today. She spent a couple of hours visiting with a young autistic boy today and I couldn't have imagined a better result. He's actually been going through a dog fear stage recently and as we left he made me promise that I would "bring my Sara visiting dog back again"
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
I have four Welsh corgis (all Pembrokes) ranging from Merlin, the guy in the stuck bolt thread, who is 12 1/2, to Jack, who is five. All have done agility, currently only Jack is competing. Candy, who is also in a cart, competes in Rally obedience. I also manage a cart-loan program for CorgiAid, an organization that helps to fund vet care for corgis in rescue.
Bobbie,

In my former life (first wife) we raised, bred, trained, showed and competed in obedience, as well as conformation. From that background, I am wondering if the corgis and similar long-backed and short-legged dogs have many back problems due to climbing and/or decending the steep stairs of the typical egg?

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
I show Beagles.

Me too! Although, that's not entirely fair to Dolly, my 'good' Beagle. She & I have done a little agility & obedience and she is a dream. Still stubborn and food-obsessed, but capable of learning. Her little brother, Jax? He's my 'show' beagle. As in, after 8 months of obedience work, he's showed me! He knows sit, and that's all he's willing to offer. He's adorable and terrible in equal measure.

I'm about to take off on a trip that will take me, the dogs, my sister and my 13' Uhaul from Boston to Portland, OR to Vancouver to Jasper-Banff-Calgary to Boston. Wish us luck!
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:15 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Bobbie,

In my former life (first wife) we raised, bred, trained, showed and competed in obedience, as well as conformation. From that background, I am wondering if the corgis and similar long-backed and short-legged dogs have many back problems due to climbing and/or decending the steep stairs of the typical egg?

Mike
Merlin's problem is a genetic disease related to ALS, called degenerative myelopathy, and has no relationship to long backs as it occurs in many breeds. There is a DNA test for the gene for it, (only two years old) and anyone buying a puppy from a susceptible breed should make sure the breeder is using the test. It occurs in corgis, boxers, GSDs, French bulldogs, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Chessies, Great Pyrs, poodles, and to some extent in most other breeds, but the above ought to have genetic testing before being bred.

Candy has IVDD which does occur mainly in long-backed dogs, but it is probably also genetic rather than being caused by jumping or the long back specifically. No gene found for that one yet (UC Davis is working on it.) The rupture itself sometimes occurs upon jumping, but it is caused by disintegration of the cushioning gel in the disks.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:20 AM   #19

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Wink

Well, wanted to chime in about our cute foster dog, Reggie! He has had his shots now and been neutered and has fully recovered from that. He is a wonder, loving companion and loves walks on the beach and playing ball and frisbee. He is 55 pounds of rusty short fur with a big grin and floppy ears! Ready to adopt. Give us a shout out on our email if you're in Texas and would like to visit Reggie. Here's some pics to get you excited.

Name:	reggiesmile2.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	29703

Name:	reggie_ali.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	29702

Name:   reggie_full.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  4.3 KB

just email us if you'd like to visit Reggie.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #20

Name: Donna
Trailer: 1975 and 1979 Boler 13 foot
Ontario
I have 6 dogs all mixed breeds, all rescue and now used as therapy dogs.
All love kids and can't wait for September for school, so they can visit.
We actually named our 79 boler..`THE DOG POUND`
Donna
Donna Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote