Native Orchids - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Just one last today this one is only 4" tall
Did I mention the Rams Head orchid shown prior the flower is 1/2" size flower also the Ladies Tresses flowers are about 3/16" is size. The Showy had a 1 1/2" wide slipper part they can be 6" plus with petals, The largest I have seen is a purple orchid found in the Mar Area 7" wide flower yet the smallest one was only 1/16" including all peddles.

All pictures taken with a Sony Alpha and Sigma 105mm Macro
Attached Thumbnails
Orichid summer.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: Escape 19 ft (sold) Escape 21 May 2014
Wisconsin
Registry
Those are some beautiful orchid photos Borden. Many of mine are still on slide film, back in the days of Kodachrome 32. Great colors but hard to work with and even harder to handle in the digital age.

Here are several from my collection. The first is a Calypso or Fairy Slipper, this is my favorite. The second is a Northern Green Orchis and grows in wet bogs, this plant is only about three inches high and a challenge to photograph. The third is a Small Round Leaved Orchis, it is really a spiral of flowers but this is photographed with a macro lens. The final orchid is a Moccasin Flower or sometimes called the Pink Lady Slipper.

I believe most of these were photographed in or around Lake Itasca State Park in Minnesota. Minnesota has designated areas that are regulated and open by permit only. One particular bog was were several came from.
Attached Thumbnails
scan0004.jpg   scan0003.jpg  

IMG_2871b.jpg   IMG_2862.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #17

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
Those are some beautiful orchid photos Borden. Many of mine are still on slide film, back in the days of Kodachrome 32. Great colors but hard to work with and even harder to handle in the digital age.

Here are several from my collection. The first is a Calypso or Fairy Slipper, this is my favorite. The second is a Northern Green Orchis and grows in wet bogs, this plant is only about three inches high and a challenge to photograph. The third is a Small Round Leaved Orchis, it is really a spiral of flowers but this is photographed with a macro lens. The final orchid is a Moccasin Flower or sometimes called the Pink Lady Slipper.

I believe most of these were photographed in or around Lake Itasca State Park in Minnesota. Minnesota has designated areas that are regulated and open by permit only. One particular bog was were several came from.
Great shots Paul remember first time I got to see Calypso amazing how it blends in the background. Small round leaf is a rare find in our area; well done. One of my favourite finds was a large patch of Hookers orchids the way the sun hit it just did not translate on film; not as rare as the Small Round Leaf
We have a Canon Slide and Negative scanner; it is scanner in lid and base both scans from both top and bottom gets all the detail (wife got it for me) Used Cannon cameras in the film days with a Canon macro
The Northern Green wow grate timing
Old 11-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
This one could go unnoticed no macro with me but still worth the shot, orchid is growing on rock moss but little to no soil
Attached Thumbnails
Green.jpg   Green one.jpg  

Green two.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #19

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Beautiful shots! They are such amazing plants.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #20

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
lovely pictures of beautiful flowers.
i highly recomend not moving them. enjoy them where they are.
plus many plants are very protected and its a crime to pick, or dig them.
one way to locate more is to volunteer with your local stewardship program. usually run by your natural resources or state game department.
these programs seak volunteers to help eradicate invasive speci, and promote reclimation of natural areas to their original state.
spemd a day each month working with them and you will learn alot about the natural plants in your area and where to find different types.
plus you meet great folks , get some exercise, and actually do more to make our planet healthy then most people even know.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #21

Name: Louise
Trailer: 1985 UHaul
Michigan
Oh, they are so beautiful! And a whole new world to discover . . . I had some windowsill paphs and phals for years, but I've never looked for orchids in the wild. Lovely!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #22

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
One of my favorite flowers, have bought many potted varieties and none have ever lived. Tried everything. I guess I will stick to taking their pictures. Have wonderful orchid farms not too far from me in the Ventura/ Santa Barbara area.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Gorgeous photos.

I got to see some native orchids when staying at Wallowa State Park in NE Oregon. We don't have them (that I know) around here. I did take some photos, but don't think I ever processed any. I will have to take a look.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #24

Ontario
Registry
Purple Fringed Orchid
This plant was a bit old about 10" tall
Attached Thumbnails
Purple Frindged.jpg   Plant.jpg