New V6 Canyon/GMC Colorado Tow Review - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Interesting article that, as the "victim" points out, underscores the need to inspect, inspect and inspect your equipment.

He has a 2007 vehicle and a 2011 trailer and is towing at near the maximum capacity. And, although he said that he had the trailer weighed several times, he did not share those numbers.

Then he took it on a 1500(?) mile trip and acknowledged that it was towing poorly but did not really inspect the situation until he got back home where he found that the receiver had separated from the hitch mount (not the vehicle frame)

Even the most casual observer can see that the problem wasn't the design or strength of the hitch, but in the condition it had been allowed to get into over at least 5 some years of use. There was visual evidence or rust all over the hitch and that should have served as a warning to not use it, especially at maximum rated load. The welds that broke were badly rusted and weakened and that damage was also very apparent.

That said, this could have been any MFG's hitch, there is nothing about it that makes it uniquely a GM problem. Plus the allegation made in the link described a NEW hitch that bent and distorted, not one that had rusty welds fail.

Here's what the owner really said in taking the blame for this failure upon themselves: (emphasis added)

"We are not advocating going out and changing hitches, nor are we saying GM factory hitches are a risk. What we are saying is pay attention and look after your equipment. Safety is something we should not take for granted. Yes when we look at the pictures, we still get chills down our spine thinking, if it was just a few moments earlier…."

BTW: What is the picture of the S-10 and the teardrop all about, neither one is a part of the story.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:14 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
There are many reports Ron... Here is just one that came up on a 2 second Google search.... Not a pretty sight.

GM Hitch Failure Can Happen to You
Hummm I see a hitch that at the time of failure was 4 years old with lots of rust on it.... not said what was pulled with it prior. Also not said where the poster is located but funny enough Hidden Hitch replaced a 4 year old hitch that I had installed on my Subaru Outback after it developed heavy rust & I was no longer confident in its structural integrity - neither was the hitch shop that originally installed it. The rust was thought to be due to heavy exposure to road salt as I do travel in the mountains a lot in winter months.

Always best to inspect your hitch for heavy rust etc prior to using each year as all makes/brands are subject to failure depending on use and weather exposure.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #17

California
Add to that, the 2011 "Spree" can be up to 34' long and weigh over 6700 lbs dry & empty. As always, missing information leaves "The rest of the story" for another day
Here's a link to typical Spree sizes and weights: 2011 Spree Price, 2011 Spree Values & 2011 Spree Specs | NADAguides
And here's a link to the web site for current models:
K-Z Recreational Vehicles: SpreeŽ Travel Trailers
If the exact model is known, there is an archive for 2011 here:
K-Z Recreational Vehicles: Brochure Archive

But Kudos to the O.P. for accepting responsibility for the failure and not just blaming it on the mfg.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:39 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I am very interested in this truck. I like the compact dimensions of the Colorado/Canyon.
Ron, I find the size impressive too. I never did understand the value of bulk and weight of a basic full size pick up considering their capabilities.*

This new Canyon is a reasonable size and comes with very good abilities as the link in post #1 demonstrates. It would make for a great TV for most glass egg folks who want a nice pick up.

*Note..... The new aluminum Ford F150 lost 600+ lbs and the tow rating went up.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #19

California
Yep, I hear that Ford is replacing the all steel King Ranch special version with the new aluminum "Brewski Can" version.... LOL
Old 03-14-2015, 11:57 AM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Ron, I find the size impressive too. I never did understand the value of bulk and weight of a basic full size pick up considering their capabilities.*

This new Canyon is a reasonable size and comes with very good abilities as the link in post #1 demonstrates. It would make for a great TV for most glass egg folks who want a nice pick up.
I was pretty disappointed when GM was slow in introducing the new Canyon when I was in the market for a midsize truck... only had two chooses of trucks in midsize at the time with the tow cap I wanted. Was not able to wait for GM to introduce the new Canyon so opted to buy a lightly used truck of another brand in the meantime. When the time comes to replace current truck the GM lot will be my first stop for a test drive, although I have to admit I am pretty happy with the current Nissan truck I have. As someone who drives a lot in a big city a midsize truck is pretty well the only way to go if you every want to find a parking spot.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:05 PM   #21

California
Not to worry Carol, in 20 years, when your Nissan starts to get a bit tired, there won't be any new pick-ups under 900 hp and 10,000 lbs vehicle weight to choose from, and you will be King of the Hill. That is, unless MPG figures take over and there won't be any pick-ups with more than 60 hp and 500 lbs towing capacity that have to get 100 MPG of $12.00/gallon gas.

In either case, there will be a whole industry started just to restore all the old mid-size trucks that the manufacturers are telling us that we didn't want to buy in the early part of the 21st century..... LOLOLOL
Old 03-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #22

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
If one can believe the auto forums ,the days. of the V8 engine and 1/2 ton trucks as we know them may be numbered. Some have predicted we may see the day when the 3/4 ton truck will be the smallest towing vehicle available. I am not sure they can build a 1/2 truck capable of being much more tnan a passenger vehicle and meet the CAFE standards.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Well if you've priced new trucks lately you probably can guess why I don't just go out and buy an F-150. $50 grand is kind of the mid-point for a reasonably equipped 4x4. It's a nice truck, but geez! Believe it or not, a Colorado is $35 to $40k with all the bells & whistles. None are really any cheaper - all the manufacturers have got the pricing fairly close together, so you are looking at about the same money for a 1/2 ton.

I may ask my Chevy dealer if I can do a test tow. Hopefully that is not seen as a nutty request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:04 PM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
I may ask my Chevy dealer if I can do a test tow. Hopefully that is not seen as a nutty request.
If I was a chevy dealer I would have one all set up with a trailer attached ready for a test drive. When you get folks into the lot that is when you have the best chance of selling a vehicle.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:50 PM   #25

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Well if you've priced new trucks lately you probably can guess why I don't just go out and buy an F-150. $50 grand is kind of the mid-point for a reasonably equipped 4x4. It's a nice truck, but geez! Believe it or not, a Colorado is $35 to $40k with all the bells & whistles. None are really any cheaper - all the manufacturers have got the pricing fairly close together, so you are looking at about the same money for a 1/2 ton.

After purhasing a new truck this past December, I can a test to the fact that they are not cheap and that the price between manufacturers does not vary much. The local dealer had 50 trucks to sell at the end of the year closout , a week later he had 3 left to sell . Evidently the price isn't scarring away customers.
Old 03-14-2015, 05:21 PM   #26
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After purhasing a new truck this past December, I can a test to the fact that they are not cheap..........
For less than $25k you can buy a new 2015 Frontier or Tacoma 4wd pickup. Less for 2wd. It will pull just about any egg out there. It will have the same body and drive train as the $35k+ version. It won't have a fancy high power 20 speaker stereo, fancy tires or wheels, racing decals, leather seats, a sun roof, ect. Why would some one pay so much more when putting the $10k in an IRA might let you retire and go camping sooner. Of course Steve you're already retired so you don't count. Raz
Old 03-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
I had a 2010 Frontier. It wouldn't pull my teardrop up a hill, let alone my Oliver or my Yamaha 242

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - http://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM   #28

California
As much interest as there is in the new Colorado I really doubt if any dealers will have the time or inclination to bother with towing tests, much less talk discounts to sell during the first 6 months production. Let's be honest, our needs are a minuscule part of the truck world.

Those that come to look will be told "Here's the price, take it or leave it". It's a sellers market.