New V6 Canyon/GMC Colorado Tow Review - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Not to worry Carol, in 20 years, when your Nissan starts to get a bit tired, there won't be any new pick-ups under 900 hp and 10,000 lbs vehicle weight to choose from, and you will be King of the Hill. That is, unless MPG figures take over and there won't be any pick-ups with more than 60 hp and 500 lbs towing capacity that have to get 100 MPG of $12.00/gallon gas.

In either case, there will be a whole industry started just to restore all the old mid-size trucks that the manufacturers are telling us that we didn't want to buy in the early part of the 21st century..... LOLOLOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If one can believe the auto forums ,the days. of the V8 engine and 1/2 ton trucks as we know them may be numbered. Some have predicted we may see the day when the 3/4 ton truck will be the smallest towing vehicle available. I am not sure they can build a 1/2 truck capable of being much more tnan a passenger vehicle and meet the CAFE standards.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:56 PM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Well if you've priced new trucks lately you probably can guess why I don't just go out and buy an F-150. $50 grand is kind of the mid-point for a reasonably equipped 4x4. It's a nice truck, but geez! Believe it or not, a Colorado is $35 to $40k with all the bells & whistles. None are really any cheaper - all the manufacturers have got the pricing fairly close together, so you are looking at about the same money for a 1/2 ton.

I may ask my Chevy dealer if I can do a test tow. Hopefully that is not seen as a nutty request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Ron Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:04 PM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Merritt View Post
I may ask my Chevy dealer if I can do a test tow. Hopefully that is not seen as a nutty request.
If I was a chevy dealer I would have one all set up with a trailer attached ready for a test drive. When you get folks into the lot that is when you have the best chance of selling a vehicle.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 02:50 PM   #25

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Well if you've priced new trucks lately you probably can guess why I don't just go out and buy an F-150. $50 grand is kind of the mid-point for a reasonably equipped 4x4. It's a nice truck, but geez! Believe it or not, a Colorado is $35 to $40k with all the bells & whistles. None are really any cheaper - all the manufacturers have got the pricing fairly close together, so you are looking at about the same money for a 1/2 ton.

After purhasing a new truck this past December, I can a test to the fact that they are not cheap and that the price between manufacturers does not vary much. The local dealer had 50 trucks to sell at the end of the year closout , a week later he had 3 left to sell . Evidently the price isn't scarring away customers.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
After purhasing a new truck this past December, I can a test to the fact that they are not cheap..........
For less than $25k you can buy a new 2015 Frontier or Tacoma 4wd pickup. Less for 2wd. It will pull just about any egg out there. It will have the same body and drive train as the $35k+ version. It won't have a fancy high power 20 speaker stereo, fancy tires or wheels, racing decals, leather seats, a sun roof, ect. Why would some one pay so much more when putting the $10k in an IRA might let you retire and go camping sooner. Of course Steve you're already retired so you don't count. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #27

South Carolina
I had a 2010 Frontier. It wouldn't pull my teardrop up a hill, let alone my Oliver or my Yamaha 242

Old 03-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #28

As much interest as there is in the new Colorado I really doubt if any dealers will have the time or inclination to bother with towing tests, much less talk discounts to sell during the first 6 months production. Let's be honest, our needs are a minuscule part of the truck world.

Those that come to look will be told "Here's the price, take it or leave it". It's a sellers market.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #29

South Carolina
I guess if you just shop around on price you'll get treated that way. I've bought at least a dozen cars and trucks from this dealer, so I expect him to humor me.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #30

<$25k Tacoma

Clip>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
For less than $25k you can buy a new 2015 Frontier or Tacoma 4wd pickup. Less for 2wd. Raz
<<<

I shopped for a new Tacoma about 6 months ago and, while theoretically there is a Tacoma for the prices you mentioned, there are not any on the dealer lots.

After going to 4-5 Toyota dealers, and having each one of them check all of Southern California for stock, the only "Base" Tacoma's available were a few white, 4 cylinder, work trucks. All of the available V6 Tacomas were up graded models and loaded to the hilt with options, probably including that "20 speaker sound system" mentioned.

Toyota likes to advertise a low base price, but wants to sell heavily optioned vehicles. For a dealer, there can be more profit in the options than in the base sale price.

And if you want to order one, ferget it, they will treat you like you have the plague. You buy what they want to sell you or you are S.O.L.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:09 PM   #31

Dealership Humoring....

Quote:
I guess if you just shop around on price you'll get treated that way. I've bought at least a dozen cars and trucks from this dealer, so I expect him to humor me.

When you live in an area dominated by multi-dealership Auto Malls, and buy a new car every 10 or so years if you need it or not, establishing oneself with a single dealer, rather than shopping price, isn't practical like it was in the old daze of independent dealerships.

The day after you drive out, unless you want/need to put up with usually expensive and poor quality dealer service, you kiss them goodbye, the same way as they hoped to kiss you off as soon as the sale was complete.

My last new vehicle, a 2003 GMC Sonoma, went into a dealership two times in 10 years and 155,000 miles. Once, the week after I bought it to have an air leak fixed, the second time was at about 35,000 miles when the windshield wiper switch broke. Both were repaired under warrantee. Before I hit the 7th year, the Buick-GMC dealer I bought it from closed after 40+ years in business.

In this market there is no room for humoring.

But Good Luck if you can get it....

Old 03-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you're willing to wait long enough, you can probably get a 100% electric vehicle that charge the batteries from the sun. Or, you can compromise and get what's needed/necessary and go out camping and make MEMORIES.

As my 90 y/o mother often tells me, you can always make more money, but you cannot make more time.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As much interest as there is in the new Colorado I really doubt if any dealers will have the time or inclination to bother with towing tests,.
The good news is that GM did agree to adopt the standardized SAE J2807 tow capacity rating for 2015.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #34

NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The good news is that GM did agree to adopt the standardized SAE J2807 tow capacity rating for 2015.
So did Ram and Ford . Ram is also applying J2807 to its 3/4 & 1 ton trucks.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #35

Registry
Quote:
For less than $25k you can buy a new 2015 Frontier or Tacoma 4wd pickup. Less for 2wd. It will pull just about any egg out there. It will have the same body and drive train as the $35k+ version. It won't have a fancy high power 20 speaker stereo, fancy tires or wheels, racing decals, leather seats, a sun roof, ect. Raz
When I was shopping for a mid sized truck in early 2014 that sure was not the case for the Frontier or the Tacoma 4 wheel drive versions. Wish it had been. Only used Nissan's going in the $25 K range (most were far more expensive than that) were more than 3 years old with few options and *lots* of mles on them. In fact I don't think I saw any used Tacoma's for that price that were 3 years old or newer - regardless of miles on them - most 3 year old used ones started in the $31,000 + range. The price stays up on the used Tacoma's as they are very popular in these parts with the male 20 something crowd who tend to have deep pockets when it comes to vehicle purchases so they tend to sell fast.

Not an exchange rate issue either as the rate was at par or better.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
New 2015 Nissan Frontier For Sale | Gorham NH
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:01 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
I guess I will have to move to NH where trucks are apparently going cheap!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #38

Truck Prices

Quote:
Well, that isn't exactly a: .......... "For less than $25k you can buy a new 2015 Frontier or Tacoma 4wd pickup. Less for 2wd." Ooops, although they are showing the 2WD versions I see in the desc that it is 4wd.

And I have been down that road a couple of times too....

You call, "Yes it's right here" and you get there and it was just sold etc. but they have one for $30k they will sell you.

I don't know about Nissan, but Toyota makes a cheaper "Work Truck" version and it's really bare bones and most wouldn't want to have one for personal use.