Off shore VS North American towing styles - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:44 AM   #1
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Off shore VS North American towing styles

It's no secret that I am a towing enthusiast and I contunue to reseach everything I can about the subject. Articles from the likes of Garth Cane, Jim Hensley, Sean Woodruff, and A. Thomson are of particular interest as their depth of knowledge is vast.

Anyway there is always a lot of discussion and questions regarding the differences between off shore and North American towing and I researched a number of articles to see what I could learn.

There are a number but the best one is here by Mr. Thomson. It talks about connection system, brakes, trailer design, etc., differences. Also a short blurb about the politics surrounding the industry.

Probably not of interest to everyone but if this type of topic is up your alley please partake.

Here is the link..... Can-Am RV :: HH-43-1
Old 02-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #2

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I especially like this part:

"The problem with most entrenched government regulations is that there is rarely a mechanism to repeal them when they no longer make sense or in this case never made sense. So when occasionally people opine that we should have more regulation for tow vehicles hitches and trailers, I always think of Europe and caution, “Be careful what you wish for.” All that’s likely to result is a situation like Europe where innovation is stifled and technology is stuck in the dark ages."

And, when some regulation says the Earth is flat, it is FLAT!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I read and agree with the article. Most points are very clear and the only questio I have might be related to the EU and rest of the world ratings vs US.
The US manufacturers are just now considering meeting the SAE standart for rating tow vehicles. Currently the manufacturers rate their (mostly trucks) based on their sales goals and some internal engineering criterion.
SAE J2807 is the proposed standard and manufacturers considered making the switch to a standardized system, but with the competitive pressures they all put off publishing their ratings under the standard.
When this new standard is actually used the ratings on many cars and trucks will be rewritten with many cars increasing their ratings and truck being derated.
This new standard includes towing up one of the most difficult hill section in the country while maintaining engine and transmission temps within limits.
At least the EU has testing procedures for their cars and the relatively few light non-commercial trucks.
In my opinion the EU rating of tow vehicles is probably pretty good. The tongue weights could be higher since the total weight is really limited by that factor more than total drawbar pull ratings.
For example the VW TDI is rated starting on a 12% grade. No doubt it is capable and My 2009 JSW TDI can tow the weight very comfortably with the OEM Westfalia hitch the 175 lb tongue limitation is more constricting.
I am very interested in the Cam-AM equilizing hitch for the VW.
I am thinking of upgrading to a 2015 or later Golf stattion wagon to tow our Scamp 16' and the tongue limitations are the largest concern and the reason I did not go to a Casita 17' or an Airstream instead.
I am currently in a rebuild on the Scamp and working on lengthening the tongue and balancing the mass to keep within the car limits.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #4
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
This thread is a blatant attempt to resurrect a topic that has been closed. This is not acceptable.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Closed Thread