pillow/blanket for cold weather camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
pillow/blanket for cold weather camping

Click image for larger version

Name:	pillow blanket.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	132852
I invented a gift for my bald headed friend who lives on a boat in the NW. He gets cold at night and for years has put an extra pillow on top of his head to keep it warm but of course that tends to fall off now and again. So for Christmas I made a special project out of fleece fabric. It is a zippered pillow case with an extended area that has some batting in it. He now has the option of flipping that section over to keep his head warm but still have some control over the air coming in from the sides for easy breathing. And it won't come off his head while he is sleeping. I left the quilted section long enough to reach down onto his shoulders.

Not difficult to sew and you don't need to buy a pattern to make it. 1-3/4" yards of fleece, a 20" zipper, a length of poly quilt batting and of course thread. The width of the folded in half fleece works great for a standard size pillow so that means less labor time.

Fold the fleece in half, right sides facing in. Sew the edges together inserting the 20" zipper on the long side towards one end.
Cut a piece of polyester fleece that covers the section that forms the quilted flap over cover. I used some spray glue to hold it in place on the fleece to make it easy to turn the project inside out. Then through the zippered opening I turned the fabric through it so the right sides were facing out.

Next sew across the width of the fleece to create the cased section the pillow fits into.

Last step put lines of quilting across the section with the batting inside of it.

Insert the pillow into the cased section and it's time for a long winter's nap.

Of course if you can't sew you can safety pin a piece of fleece fabric to your current pillow case
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:12 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
very nice, I wish I were bald.....
Old 01-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #3

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
you know the saying....be careful what you wish for because you just might get your wish.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Baldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
So do I, wish you were bald that is. As it is, I don’t have much on top, of course grass doesn’t grow on a busy street. When I was in Scouts and sleeping in tents in cold weather I had and still have a non itchy wool military issue sleeping helmet. It is like a very lightweight Bala Clava and very warm. You haven’t lived till you’ve camped in a stocking cap, wool socks and a jacket. Gotta earn that igloo segment.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 06:43 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
There are those with beautiful heads. The rest have hair.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 08:42 AM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
So do I, wish you were bald that is. As it is, I don’t have much on top, of course grass doesn’t grow on a busy street. ....
Iowa Dave
Now Dave, Being bald is all the fault of your female ancestors. It is a trait passed down in the maternal DNA. It has nothing to do with your IQ. Remember that lots of bald guys are a dumb as a box of rocks and you don't want people to think you are one of them by claiming you are bald because you a smart
Old 01-18-2020, 11:58 AM   #7

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I'm not really bald, just having my second growth spurt and growing through the old stuff...
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:42 PM   #8

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
I've winter camped and found a fleece toque works fine. Easy on or off. But then, I'm not bald...
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (15).jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:20 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Hoodie

I’m bald. I wear a mid weight fleece hoodie. I’ve done this for a long while, from in the Scamp to snow camping.
Mike J. L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:06 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The theory is that if you're bald on the front of your head, you're a thinker. If your head is bald in the back, you're a lover. If your head is bald all over, you just think you're a lover.
Bill & C Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:08 AM   #11

Oregon
I posted this in a discussion about what we do for hobbies. Sewing was one of my first hobbies. I don't sew all that often nowadays but I have been sewing things for my trailer renovation.

But I also do some sewing now and again to make some useful gifts.

For instance this one with a head covering blanket attached to a pillow for made for my friend who does not like wearing hats to bed. If he had liked wearing hats to bed he would not have needed this gift. In fact 3 years ago we went out and bought fleece and sewed lots of hats for yourselves and for you friends. I know a lot of guys who sew because this is a community with lots of sailboats and also because a lot of younger guys of my sons generation learned how to sew.

If any of you are actually making the hats you are wearing to bed then this thread about what one does for a hobby would benefit from hearing about that. So please show off your skills at making things.

Maybe you knit hats or pillows, or crochet them. Or felt them or sew them or make them out of old sweaters or skin a coon. The point is not what you are wearing, it is all about what you are making, what you do for a hobby.
Old 01-26-2020, 12:53 PM   #12

Name: Benny
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I got a nightcap and it works well. Mine goes over my ears if I need it. I'm not completely bald.
Bgreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #13

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgreat1 View Post
I got a nightcap and it works well. Mine goes over my ears if I need it. I'm not completely bald.
My night cap goes between my ears, down my mouth.........
Old 01-26-2020, 03:15 PM   #14

Oregon
maybe this needs a new thread in the anything goes section of the forum since you men have made it all about what hats you like to wear?