Please wear a helmet when biking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #15

Trailer:
I wouldn't think of riding far without putting on a helmet - and I would rank anyone riding without gloves as dumb.

But the results of the great Australian Cycle Helmet Experiment are interesting - cycle hemlmets were made compulsory and the result (in broad terms) was that the number of cyclists was halved, but those remaining cyclists had the same number of head injuries as before the law was introduced.

One logical explanation is that while wearing a helmet is good for you if/when you crash, wearing a helmet increases the likelihood that you will be in a crash by about the same amount.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:56 AM   #16

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I wouldn't think of riding far without putting on a helmet - and I would rank anyone riding without gloves as dumb.

But the results of the great Australian Cycle Helmet Experiment are interesting - cycle hemlmets were made compulsory and the result (in broad terms) was that the number of cyclists was halved, but those remaining cyclists had the same number of head injuries as before the law was introduced.

One logical explanation is that while wearing a helmet is good for you if/when you crash, wearing a helmet increases the likelihood that you will be in a crash by about the same amount.
Or maybe if you are wearing a helmet, when in an accident you think your head is protected so you lead with your head instead of trying to protect it as you would if not wearing a helmet. That's assuming you have enough time to position your head, which I would think in most cases you would.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:03 AM   #17

Trailer:
Data from here, where most cyclists are sharing roads with cars, is that drivers passing helmeted cyclists leave half the gap they would leave if the cyclist isn't helmeted.

So it may be simply that wearing a helmet encourages other vehicle drivers to take less care of you.

"That couldn't apply to me, as I take good care when passing cyclists" is a common response but it doesn't mean it's true!
Old 09-01-2014, 08:13 AM   #18
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is one of these guys... "stupid"?
It goes to show that no mater how smart you are there is always something new to learn about safety.

A few years ago I was in a bike race. At the end of the race there was a 100 yard sprint to the finish line. There was a young gal in front of me and I was trying to chase her down. Not enough gas in the tank to catch her at the line but was right on her back wheel "drafting" when we went over the line.

At that point we were reaching over 30klm's an hour and for whatever reason she locked up the disc brakes on her bike and went down. I hammered my brakes, locked up the front wheel, and went flying over the handlebars sailing over the girl and hitting the pavement about 10' past her. Stood up right away to see if everything was still in place. When I got home had a huge bruise on my side and my $150. helmet was cracked. The incident sent me to physio for a few weeks but not even a head ache from the crash.

PS... Over the past 15 years of bike riding (over 70,000klm's ) ,a 100 bike races, and some very aggressive bike rides I had many spills and crashes. The helmet was a must and with all the scratches on it I'm sure it did it's job well.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #19
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
It would seem to me that all the advocates of helmet wear are not going to convince non-wearers, and the non-wearers are not going to sway those who wish to wear with statistics that drivers get closer to bicyclists wearing helmets or that knowing one has a helmet on might lead to overconfidence. All the arguments are not going to change anyone's opinion or riding habits, so this is really a moot discussion.

Sent via Mental Telepathy directly to Fiberglass RV
Old 09-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Carl is correct. Opinions are like belly buttons, everybody has one.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #21
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
All the arguments are not going to change anyone's opinion or riding habits, so this is really a moot discussion.
I disagree. For years many of us non smokers have been working on telling smokers to stop, it is not good for your health. Most have listened to reason and stopped the habit but there are still some who still don't get it.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #22

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It would seem to me that all the advocates of helmet wear are not going to convince non-wearers, and the non-wearers are not going to sway those who wish to wear with statistics that drivers get closer to bicyclists wearing helmets or that knowing one has a helmet on might lead to overconfidence. All the arguments are not going to change anyone's opinion or riding habits, so this is really a moot discussion.

What's wrong with a good discussion.

We all know that some things which appear obvious, are not. Wearing a helmet sounds like the right thing to do, but thinking it is the right thing and being the right thing are not necessarily the same thing.

Nothing wrong with looking for facts to back up the obvious.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #23

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
I disagree. For years many of us non smokers have been working on telling smokers to stop, it is not good for your health. Most have listened to reason and stopped the habit but there are still some who still don't get it.
Smokers have chosen to stop not based on someone's opinion or telling them it's a bad/nasty habit. Smokers are choosing to stop based on scientific medical facts. If smoking wasn't a health hazard, it's doubtful anyone would quit no matter the smell or costs.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #24
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post

And what makes you think it is your personal anti-smoking crusade that has resulted in reduction in smoking. Perhaps it was rising tobacco taxes or laws restricting tobacco use in public places that have discouraged use. If what you say is correct there would be relatively few new smokers (the teen crowd) but that is simply not true. And from what I see, many but not most have stopped. Lots ignore the health consequences. It is an addiction, and a problem as in increasing obesity. I don't believe it has anything at all to do with "not getting it." But you are certainly entitled to your opinion.
How about it. Off topic, but any reformed smokers out there? Why did you quit?

Old 09-01-2014, 08:47 AM   #25
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
What's wrong with a good discussion.

We all know that some things which appear obvious, are not. Wearing a helmet sounds like the right thing to do, but thinking it is the right thing and being the right thing are not necessarily the same thing.

Nothing wrong with looking for facts to back up the obvious.

I have absolutely no problem with a good discussion. All I'm saying is that all the discussion in the world on this topic is unlikely to change anyone's riding habits or opinions. Hey, go to campgrounds where there is a rule that all children under 16 must wear a helmet if riding a bicycle. Ever see that rule being broken?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
The state we live in does not require motorcycle riders to wear helmets. I'm fine with that, because people should have a choice. But the ones I see buzzing along at 65 mph with no helmet... well, I figure they're trying to raise the average IQ in the gene pool! If there's a substantial risk at 15 or 20 mph, who do these guys going 65 think they are, Superman?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 09-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #27
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Mike,
I would think that they are employees of Mother Nature, hired to be examples of natural selection at work!

Old 09-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #28

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Obey these standards or you must be stupid, stupid, stupid....
Attached Thumbnails
image001.jpg