RC plane guy - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
RC plane guy

I have been flying planes of one sort or another since I was a teen(damn that was a long time ago) I bought the Ventura trailer to attend various fun flys and float flies around Alberta. It also serves as the hanger for the electric powered birds on the way to the events(the nitro powered go into the TV). The wife and I are having a great time and we do get ribbed a bit about being the smallest trailer at these get together's but damned if the guys don't come over to sit under OUR awning!

I belong to 2 different clubs ERCS (Edmonton Radio Control Society) and MOFFA(Mostly Old Float Fliers Association).

Moffa hold 3 float fly's and we have a great time. The one in September has a great pot luck wrap up dinner usually with 3 deep fried turkeys and some dress up by the cooks
Attached Thumbnails
5759310172_e6291408a3_z.jpg   5988785833_f5254f0ab3_z.jpg  

6162564245_574840c588_z.jpg   6162897191_ee57f36134_z.jpg  

6163424968_db0738ce66_z.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
How cool! If you ever go down the Oregon coast make sure you camp at Champoeg State Park there is a small air field & radio control flying club on the road that the old store is on and I have stopped to watch them fly some pretty cute little plans and helicopters.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Carol, is that flying field between the park and the store? Or is it pass the store. I'll be at Champoeg twice this summer and I'll bring a plane or two to fly if it's an open flying field.

Rick
Laura & Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #4

Registry
Rick its up the hill from the store - if you drive up the hill on Butterville Road its on the left - just before you would turn right onto Champoeg Road to get back to the park. Its set back a little from the road but you will see a road going into the parking area and the flying field is fenced off.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
So do you put out wildfires with that yellow bird?! Is that a cl215 or 415? They need some help out west this summer
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rick its up the hill from the store - if you drive up the hill on Butterville Road its on the left - just before you would turn right onto Champoeg Road to get back to the park. Its set back a little from the road but you will see a road going into the parking area and the flying field is fenced off.
Thanks Carol! I'll be there.

Rick
Old 06-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #7

Registry
Rick if you have bikes its a nice loop to do - ride along the river trail to the ice cream store for a treat :-) then up the hill, although its a bit of killer (so you might think about doing the ride in reverse) stop and watch the planes and back along Champoeg Road to the campground.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
What a cool hobby to keep up. Thanks for the pictures. I used to do this years ago but got frustrated when I put in tons of hours into a plane and then proceeded to crash it in a couple of minutes. Years latter I found out about flying clubs and how they can show you how to fly with an experienced person helping. Now I just don't have the space to build and store them, but I do enjoy watching people fly them. Have you ever thought of designing a small egg flyer, maybe in electric?
Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
The first plane is my CL415 made out of foam and is powered by a pair of brushless electric motors.
Danny. the times have changed, the Cl415 plane is an almost ready to fly from Hobbyking and costs a whopping $57 from their US outlet. That price is just the kit but outfitting it is pretty cheap! If you want to go even cheaper, I build small planes from Dollar store foamboard at $1.25 a sheet(plans are at RCGroups/foamies scratch built and you will find a couple of hundred designs for free!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Rick if you have bikes its a nice loop to do - ride along the river trail to the ice cream store for a treat :-) then up the hill, although its a bit of killer (so you might think about doing the ride in reverse) stop and watch the planes and back along Champoeg Road to the campground.
Carol, great minds think alike. I have rode the river route many times to the general store. Now I'll make a loop out of the ride and go along Champoeg Road. Thanks again for all the good information!