scroll sawing and other designer firewood - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #1

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17' Casita SD
Wisconsin
scroll sawing and other designer firewood

Wondering if there are others out there who do this? It's hard to bring along a scroll saw when camping but not impossible...
yyyyyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Yoy could bring a cordless one ------ coping saw. Sorry, could not resist:-)
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Mike has been known to bring his wood lathe to egg gatherings and put on a demonstration.. really cool. And, I've been a lucky recipient of one his beautiful wood bowls: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-42050.html

So, I guess these are similar as the wood chips left from a turn make great firestarter!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Wisconsin
I always save my scraps (designer firewood) and get quite a few looks when I use them for kindling.
Pete
Old 01-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I stopped in Tahoe on my way home last August. Early in the evening I ran out of firewood. No problem, I decided I needed to part with "ALL" of the hand built add ons that the previous owner had installed in the recently purchased Scamp. He had done a very shabby job making stuff out of 2x6's and 2x8's. Not as delicate or weight savings as I would have liked so, voila, instant firewood. It did draw a little curiosity from the adjoining campsites LOL!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #6

Wisconsin
lucky it was just the firewood you ran out of...Tahoe isn't far from Donners Pass and we all know what happened there, wasn't just firewood
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
actually dremel used to have a small scroll saw,,,not as fancy as what you most likely have,,, but it was pretty compact.

or,,, take your time and use a jewelers saw. real nice for tiny work.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #8

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
One of my friends takes one of those small lathes to Texas in the winter when they snowbird there. He makes ball point pens and sells them. Given his truck and roughly 30 ft trailer, he has the space.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
I own two of those Dremel scroll saws; one I bought new too many years to remember, which I keep handy to finish cutting thru the remaining wood left after using a parting tool to almost cut a long piece into two shorter pieces. If I tried to cut the two pieces clear through with the parting tool, they would pinch the tool and toss it across the room. The dremel tool cuts the two pieces apart after the wood is stationary, with no danger of either the wood or tool tossing the wood.

I also inherited my Father's dremel tool, which is probably older than me (76). Dad had built the saw into a hand-held jig saw, with a plywood table, which can be fixed in a vise and the user can turn and twist the wood as it is cut, rather than turn and twist the saw.

I will try to take a few photos to post.

Mike

PS: dremel no longer make the smallest blades, which were perfect for fretwork.
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #10

Wisconsin
you probably already know but you can buy blades for the Dremel in many other places, I recently replaced my Dremel with a DeWalt and am very happy with it
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #11

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyyyguy View Post
you probably already know but you can buy blades for the Dremel in many other places, I recently replaced my Dremel with a DeWalt and am very happy with it
I used to do more woodworking than I do now because of limited time now that I'm retired . I loved making things on my scroll saw. Last year my husband through it away...can you believe it? The base had rusted in the garage. He likes his garage to be prestine. I think he owes me a new one. When I get the Scamp all finished, it will be time to buy the replacement.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I've actually been eyeballing this scroll saw from Harbor Freight. I'd never do enough woodworking to warrant buying an expensive tool.
16" Scroll Saw - Variable Speed
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I've actually been eyeballing this scroll saw from Harbor Freight. I'd never do enough woodworking to warrant buying an expensive tool.
16" Scroll Saw - Variable Speed
That saw is really good for the price, I know many people with it and they like it - then you can start making designer firewood too!