Search for a never completed railroad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #21

Name: Russ
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
Neat! As a Pennsylvania nerd I love this stuff.

Have you ever been on the abandoned sections of the turnpike? THey're in Bedford county I believe.
Have I????? I am allowed to Boondock there on that 8.5 bike trail. Half the unfinished railroad grade is still there.

Some links to my forum on the Pike 2 Bike Trail

southpennraiload.freeforums.org • View forum - Test Forum 1

southpennraiload.freeforums.org • View topic - Pike 2 Bike Trail

How I got permission to camp on that abandoned turnpike is that in 2002 I was going through my DVD and found the entity that still owns it and they said to me when I called that "They were trying to get a hold of me" I said why and they replied that they were trying to get a $75,000 grant and that they were going to get it until a heated argument came up as to wether there was proof that a railroad was indeed involved in the history of that section of the old turnpike. Well WJAC out of Altoona was there and they decided to take a break to get the TV people out of that meeting because of how heated the topic got. Well while they were putting out the TV crews the idea came up to submit my research and when the meeting came back to order they showed as a slide show such as my DVDs are and they got the money.

Well they said they wanted to get a hold of me because without my research they would surely not have gotten the money and then some as the Department of Highways who is in charge of issuing these grants had $15,000 extra and said they should get that as well.

Well lets just say that my research was worth $90,000. What did I want in return ?? Just a camping spot for my work. Am I stupid or what????

I suppose I could have sued but why and for what. Every time I call they treat me well. They weren't able to keep the grant due to some wrong actions but they appreciated my work just the same. I have almost 15 years of friendship with people from the turnpike, state police and property owners that I feel like they are all great. Just love to share the history.
Russell A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #22

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Neat! As a Pennsylvania nerd I love this stuff.

Have you ever been on the abandoned sections of the turnpike? THey're in Bedford county I believe.
http://img684.imageshack.us/i/991434...e17f13f3b.jpg/

Here's a pic I took showing on the left, the west portal of the 1.3 mile long tunnel (Sideling Hill) as well as the railroad grade center to right inside the wood line as the turnpike on the right breaks from the original railroad grade.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #23

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
So cool about the turnpike camping! Color me jealous, and I think that's a perfectly adequate payoff!

Along the lines of old PA highways and byways, during my cross-PA pack trip last fall I spent a day hiking the Old Mail Trail in southern Bedford county, between Bean's Cove and Hyndman, and climbing up and over Evitt's Mountain and Wills Mountain. I got to hear some cool stories from the old-timers around there about great-grandparents who used the road.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #24

Pennsylvania
Quote:
So cool about the turnpike camping! Color me jealous, and I think that's a perfectly adequate payoff!

Along the lines of old PA highways and byways, during my cross-PA pack trip last fall I spent a day hiking the Old Mail Trail in southern Bedford county, between Bean's Cove and Hyndman, and climbing up and over Evitt's Mountain and Wills Mountain. I got to hear some cool stories from the old-timers around there about great-grandparents who used the road.

My railroad had done a back door survey up over Wills mountain from Bedford Springs but they dropped that line in favor of where the turnpike is along the area between New Baltimore & Bedford.

My railroad history did so many surveys it's not hard to know where your talking about.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:15 AM   #25

Pennsylvania
Two areas I have been working since January is the Chestnut Ridge at the 84.0 mile post and the climb to Donegal and recently the flats west of it between New Stanton and Chestnut Ridge. wait until you see the double loop along the ridge. No work was done but I located 15 landmarks which show where it was to be built.

Actually I like finding where it was to be built in places it was never begun the compared to just finding the actual sites. Its more challenging. More rewarding.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8935/chestnutridge.jpg

In this view the Pennsylvania Turnpike is seen at the bottom right hand corner in green and each red dot is the South Penn grade had it been built. The other color dots are landmarks I found on both the railroad maps and this map.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #26

Pennsylvania

By spennrr at 2011-06-15

Here is how I discover where a railroad which never was completed where it was to be built. The railroad map is on the right and the aerial of the same location on the left. This is the Chestnut Ridge at the 84 mile post and east on the Penna Trpk.

By spennrr at 2011-06-15
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #27

Pennsylvania
Here is one of my favorite sites that I have found where the South Penn was to have been built but never was. The small map on the right can be seen in the aerial on the left. I was allowed to camp here last week. Property owner was very accommodating.

The insert map shows a purple alignment which is the proposed railroad which never was built here. Owners were amazed I found this. Really is easy.
Attached Thumbnails
GeeseAlignment.JPG  
Old 07-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #28

Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell A View Post
Here is one of my favorite sites that I have found where the South Penn was to have been built but never was. The small map on the right can be seen in the aerial on the left. I was allowed to camp here last week. Property owner was very accommodating.

The insert map shows a purple alignment which is the proposed railroad which never was built here. Owners were amazed I found this. Really is easy.
LatrobeAreaMap.JPG

This map reveals how the South Penn was to descend the last mountain of it's whole right of way. This is west of the own of Donegal on the Chestnut Ridge. The green line is the present Pa. Trpk.
Attached Thumbnails
LatrobeAreaMap.JPG  
Old 10-08-2011, 02:55 PM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What a fascinating hobby, very interesting reading.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #30

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have nothing constructive to offer.. but came across this animated GIF and thought of you! Hope this works, and yeah... ya gotta click on the gif to get it to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Train.gif  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote