Sewing on the road... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 10:33 AM   #21

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Sew funny!
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 AM   #22

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammie View Post
Hazel, your weekend plans sounded like so much fun! What a great way to enjoy creative time with friends. I haven't done much sewing on the road lately, but have been working on this sewing machine cover. A friend saw one on The Rainbow Hare blog, and knew I'd want to make one. It's not quite done, but I hope it won't be a UFO (unfinished object) much longer.
Love it
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Tammie;520943 I haven't done much sewing on the road lately, but have been working on this sewing machine cover. A friend saw one on The Rainbow Hare blog, and knew I'd want to make one. It's not quite done, but I hope it won't be a UFO (unfinished object) much longer.[/QUOTE]

Once you finish that you can make a vintage trailer pin cushion to go with it! I made one and the template for it can be found at Thequiltedfish.typepad.com I have used it for the pin cushion but also the trailer template with a bit of modification to match the shape of my own trailer to do some appliqué on tea towels in the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
2b2b5b76b1474d4f8ebfc4bc3ad04a3b.jpg   photo (13).JPG  

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #24

Alabama
My to-do list just got longer! Love your fabric choices, too.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:25 AM   #25

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I've had fancier machines but my favorite remains my vintage Singer Featherweight. It is a workhorse of a machine. It basically sews straight stitch only. With some attachments it can sew zig-zag and it can sew buttonholes and circles. While not as light as its name might indicate it is compact and comes in a sturdy carrying box. I do not, yet, sew while on the road because I am an avid hiker and tend to be too tired for sewing at the end of the day and I prefer to sew by daylight. If I were to sew on the road I would take my Featherweight in its carrying case and I would put some of my materials and tools in drawstring bags right there in the case. Pressing with an iron is integral to quality sewing. I'm not sure what kind of iron I would bring. For quilting projects this might be the ticket Prym Dritz Petite Press Portable Iron at Joann.com. It would be a real treat to sew outdoors. I think I might use cans of food to act as weights to keep projects from blowing away. You know, an ironing board might be a good sewing table as it has adjustable heights AND can be used for ironing. (It might be a little tipsy though) Perhaps a table like this would be good for sewing SB 30" Personal Folding Table | Staples®. It is only 26 inches high, though. You could place an ironing pad on the top Fons & Porter Portable Ironing Pad at Joann.com (be careful because the top is made of plastic).

As you can see by my attached photos I love to sew accessories with themes for our trailer "glamping" experience.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg   SCAMP Southwest Decor 2013 006.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #26

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Wow! Sounds like a great get-together!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:45 PM   #27

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Lovely projects shared here for the future!

The weekend was really great - everybody had a super time. I bought a folding cutting/pressing board to use that was much admired and doesn't take up much space.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
So Gilda what press board did you end up buying & where.

Your right about not needing a real fancy machine. I have a nice little Bernina that I love but it is getting on in age and based on the new machines is a pretty basic machine but it still has lots of features that I rarely use - some never! What I do have though that I would not want to live without is a walking foot - well worth the extra cost and not just for quilting. It does a great job of feeding all sorts of finicky, slippery or stretch fabrics.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:28 AM   #29

Alabama
Hazel,
The craft retreat sounds like heaven to me. Taking precut fabric was a great idea.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM   #30

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
I got a folding cutting board/pressing board - it is an Omnigrid product and worked just great.

One day I'll give in to the temptation and try a trailer item - they are just so cute.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:14 PM   #31

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I don't have a fancy pressing board at home due to limitations in space. I have a small, table-top ironing board that I use on top of my washer and dryer similar to this one. Sullivans Go Board Portable Ironing Board-12''X32'' at Joann.com When I'm done with it I fold it and tuck it between the wall and the side of the washing machine!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #32

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
That is so cute, do you have a pattern for your sewing machine cover. I would love to make one.
Cathy
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #33

Alabama
Hi Cathy,
Thanks!
I followed a tutorial found at Rainbow Hare Quilts: Vintage Caravan Sewing Machine Cover - Pattern (Version 1) and Tutorial
One commenter suggested using Soft&Stable instead of the multiple layers of batting, but it's still a little floppy. Also, I tried to scale the pattern down to fit a smaller machine, and I'm not really happy with my results. Operator error!
It's such a cute pattern, so maybe I'll try again.
Have fun!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #34

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha D View Post
I bought a small Babylock sewing machine specifically for taking along in our 17' Casita SD. I just sew at the dining room table, basically piecing quilt blocks to be final assembled at home where I have more room. I try to keep it as simple as possible, so in addition to bringing my machine, I keep all of my supplies in a small plastic bin that has compartments.
Marsha, i looked up your sewing machine, i believe you said it was an Anna? It really is just the right size for the camper and it has everything you need on it for sewing. It looks like a great machine and probably sews great. (I think I posted this in the wrong section--sorry.)
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote