Sewing on the road... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Sewing on the road...

New to the RV world but just bought a new-to-us Casita 17 LD. My wife is a quilter but usually takes hand work on vacations. Does anyone travel with a sewing machine (she has a featherweight)? Her birthday is coming up, anything to make sewing more travel friendly? Any other thoughts on sewing while traveling? Or similar but different hobbies? Thanks?
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Steve, there are a couple of folks on this list that quilt on the road... was trying to find some of their posts on the topic for you but so far this is all I found:

Quilts - from a thread in 2010

Quilting Legacy Post from 2003

As far as making the sewing more travel friendly goes - I would think she would want a table that is easy to put up and take down for setting up her machine on - key is it will need to be stable so you may have to fabricate a way of anchoring down the legs?

A large sewing tote for all her threads/bobbins and fabrics etc.

An outside 110 plug on the trailer for plugging the machine into.

A means of stopping everything from blowing away - perhaps sides for your awning?

A small compact folding Otto Light with magnifier would be something she might find helpful on the road as well. I know good light when sewing is a must have for me .
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
i also have a casita 17 LD, i use a 12 x 12 screen room i set up with the picnic table in it among other things and i sew in there, i have several machines but the one i use to travel in the camper is a small light weight janome, if you want to know the model i can let you know, does a great job, i use a bernina back home.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #4

New York
Our screen room also has flaps to close it in and we can heat it too. At the campground we are in on Jekyll Island there is a small community room with tables. Monday mornings several of us quilters get together and sew there. Before I left home I had most of the fabric cut for my current quilt project. Have everything except my cutting board stored in a plastic tub for travel, including my machine.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #5

Registry
I forgot to mention a Tote for the sewing machine itself to ride safely in would also be a good thing if she hasn't got one already.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #6

Name: Zac & Cathy
Trailer: Burro & 2006 21ft. BigFoot
California
Registry
They make a really nice portable sewing table that has a drop down to put your sewing machine in, then her machine would be level with the table top to sew her quilt pices or to do the quilting on. I think you would fined it at most sewing stores like Joanne's. But a quilter would like this kind of sewing table. I too am a quilter.
Avey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:11 PM   #7

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Today at lunch hubby and I were chatting about the possibility of taking my quilting paraphernalia along in our little Trillium. This site is astounding - look what you are chatting about!

Love some of the quilts in these threads, by the way. Much better than my efforts as a beginner to this activity.

So far we haven't figured out a way to lug a sewing machine, table and sundry supplies along - still thinking though.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avey View Post
They make a really nice portable sewing table that has a drop down to put your sewing machine in, then her machine would be level with the table top to sew her quilt pices or to do the quilting on. I think you would fined it at most sewing stores like Joanne's. But a quilter would like this kind of sewing table. I too am a quilter.
Is this the one? It has folding legs.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #9

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Quilting and camping- two of my favorite things to do!

Since your lucky wife has a Featherweight, check out the Stanley 3-in-1 Rolling Workshop from Home Depot. Friends with Featherweights say it's a perfect fit in the lower compartment, as is my little Janome. Fabric, quilting tools, and an extension cord go in the upper compartments.

My travel sewing table is a SewEzi. It has a dropped platform for my machine, legs that fold flat for travel, and wheels on one end for easy portability.

JoAnn has an Ott Lite lamp that folds for travel, and the base has compartments that keep little things handy. That was a gift from my son- love it.

Happy birthday to your wife, and happy travels!
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 PM   #10

New York
Mary had a expensive Janome machine and had the table it fit in, made by Janome. That table was worth about $500. Both that machine and table got sold a year ago along with an old Featherweight when she decided to downsize to just two machines. I modified one of those brown folding leg tables for her Bernina to set in. The small Janome is her travel sewing machine, we don't take a table with it.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #11

Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
i also have a casita 17 LD, i use a 12 x 12 screen room i set up with the picnic table in it among other things and i sew in there, i have several machines but the one i use to travel in the camper is a small light weight janome, if you want to know the model i can let you know, does a great job, i use a bernina back home.
Hi Mary,
Same here! My Bernina weighs 35 pounds, so he stays home. My Janome Gem is only 12 pounds, and goes everywhere with us.
Tammie
Old 01-16-2015, 10:48 PM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: Hunter
British Columbia
Registry
My mother owned a singer featherweight sewing machine in the 1950's and I remember how sturdy the folding table was that came with it. This table I found on eBay looks very much like an original.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/191479363894

I also see some reproduction tables on eBay but don't know it they would be as sturdy as the originals.

Expect you could operate the machine on an inverter and 12volt battery if your're not plugged in to power. Suggest trying a 200-300 watt inverter to start with. You may need a larger one (due to higher motor starting current) but you won't know until you try.
Good Luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
billmccracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 AM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I bought a small Babylock sewing machine specifically for taking along in our 17' Casita SD. I just sew at the dining room table, basically piecing quilt blocks to be final assembled at home where I have more room. I try to keep it as simple as possible, so in addition to bringing my machine, I keep all of my supplies in a small plastic bin that has compartments.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 LD
Florida
Thanks so much for the ideas and encouragement! I'll research some of your suggestions.

Initially, we'll be doing short trips in order to get back to work on Monday but hope to extend our trips as retirement nears. Quilting has been a great way for her to fill her time (and recently vacated kid's bedrooms).

She travels to group sews, so she has a system she can adapt - your experiences will make it easy to encourage her. Today she is leaving from her quilt class to join me at the Tampa RV Supershow - although that may be to protect her financial security rather than interest in the show...

Thanks Again!
PC Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #15

Saskatchewan
So much good information and things to think about. We have a 13' Trillium so space is a big factor for us, as is weight. Hubby often takes along a box full of wood related activities - pyrography sometimes, carving tools another, and was quite happy to consider sewing equipment for me.

I will check with my closest sewing machine dealer - two hours away. They sell Babylock so I'll see what light machines they have to offer. The Good News is that it HAS to be cheaper then the one I bought just before Christmas. It has a built in computer, scads of specialty stitches and a boxful of spare feet and gadgets! Still figuring out how to use it. Downside is that it feelslike it weighs a ton and it is too big to fit anywhere in the camper that isn't already designated for something or other.

Too bad I didn't know I might be wanting another machine when I was at the quilting store the other day (my new one wasn't working properly). Helpful hint for all sewing machine users..........never pull out the thread spool towards the top of the machine - pull it out via the needle. I got a bit of fluff caught in the tension discs!

Taking along pieces to work on that are already basically cut to size sounds like the way to go, for sure.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #16

Saskatchewan
This thread is kinda quiet! This coming weekend we are heading out for a creativity weekend - just a group of friends camping in a big yard. I'm taking my sewing machine and some ready cut projects. (Still thinking about the extras - thread, small cutting board, scissors etc). After this weekend I'll know whether I'm going to buy a lightweight machine - have to try things out first - but remembering that we aren't really camping as meals will be prepared in the house. Also taking some calligraphy supplies, cameras and lenses and some library books. Hubby will take his small lathe, tools, dyes etc and get some turning done.

Between the several couples there will be sewing, spinning, weaving, wood turning, carving, calligraphy, photography, painting and maybe more going on.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #17

Saskatchewan
This is the very first quilt that I made. I had done smaller items like placemats before. I made this for my grandson who turned two this spring and learning new words every day. I call it a Vocabulary Quilt because he can use it to learn his colours, shapes and machinery words. The outside border is actually browner than it looks in this photo.
Attached Thumbnails
20150205_095527.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #18

Alabama
Hazel, your weekend plans sounded like so much fun! What a great way to enjoy creative time with friends. I haven't done much sewing on the road lately, but have been working on this sewing machine cover. A friend saw one on The Rainbow Hare blog, and knew I'd want to make one. It's not quite done, but I hope it won't be a UFO (unfinished object) much longer.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper Cozy.jpg  
Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 PM   #19

Registry
Luv that Tammie, currently working on a serger cover with a similar look to it!
Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Have you sewers seen this cartoon? ("Pickles", May 3)
Pickles Comic Strip, May 03, 2015 on GoComics.com
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote