Star Gazing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #15
Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.

The whole shebang.

NASA - NASA Releases New WISE Mission Catalog of Entire Infrared Sky

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Probably the cheapest route would be a Dobsonian (reflecting scope on alt-az mount) around 3-400$. It's simple, easy to set up, BUT an 8" is just about as big as you'd want in a medium SUV or bed of a pickup-type tug. Lot of smaller (4 to 6") GOTO scopes out there now. A GOTO scope basically finds objects for you after polar alignment and calibration. Most are also on an alt-az mount. I have an 8" Schmidt (folding reflecter) on a surprisingly handy equatorial mount (Celestron CG-5 GOTO). I've had the scope for 20 yrs. but got the GEM in January this yr. If I were taking the Burro to a location at which I anticipated dark sky, I would take this scope in a heartbeat. If you want to fiddle around, there are a number of small table top reflecters from Orion and Celestron. I have a little 3" reflector (Heritage First Scope) from Celestron. Gave 20 bucks for it. It damps down very quickly on it's little fiberbd. alt-az, can be used on a picnic table or a photographic tripod, and has one thing that is great for looking at the moon and planets and hunting and pecking for stuff like M42, the Pleiades. That one thing is a very forgiving wide field of view. I think the little thing is still available from Amazon for 30-40 dollars. It probably has a plastic mirror, you've can't collimate, you'd can't adjust the secondary, but it's just pretty good out of the box and much more fun for a child than a cheap 2" refractor which is practically the definition of unusable junk.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote