Travelling with pets - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #61

Name: Modesta
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
I have got two dogs and every time when I decide to travell they go with me. It's my family, they are my best friends. So I can't leave them.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 AM   #62

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
mobile pet fencing at the campground

We've been trying to figure out how to manage our dogs more easily. I have every intention of carrying clean-up bags in my pocket and we use short leashes, but would like to have a fenced porch area at the door of our camper that would allow the dogs to run in/out at will while we're at the camper.

An internet search reveals lots of products available from retailers who are happy to take your money, but I haven't seen anyone here post pictures of actually using these products. Also, we've been working out the mechanics of how the fencing idea would work and discover that there are more than a few potential problems with the integration of effective fencing.

So, I thought I'd come here and ask about specific experiences from people who love their pets and travel with them. I've read the threaded conversation and realize that traveling with pets is not for everyone. I sympathize with those who choose not to share their lives with pets but I'm looking for practical real-world experiences from those who know and not criticism for our choice.

We don't necessarily need pictures, but how are you managing your "yard" and your dog while relaxing camper-side (not walking)?
Old 04-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #63

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
So far I just camp out in the middle of nowhere and my dog roams free. He's not going to go far.

I have been thinking about what I'll do if in a less "wild" environment, even going so far (in my thoughts) as some sort of dog door and travel fencing. Haven't thought too much yet, though. But some sort of short, maybe 3' high fence (like I said, he's not going anywhere, it would just be to delineate the boundary), with 4 or 5 small posts that can easily stick in the ground, to put around the door area of the camper.

But for the most part, in campgrounds they've got to be on leash, so I have a 20' leash for the rare times I'm in campgrounds. If I'm not in a campground, he can wander as he wants. But like I said...he's just a good loyal dog and he isn't going anywhere far from the camper or getting into any trouble.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #64

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
this works
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0768-001.JPG  
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #65

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We've been trying to figure out how to manage our dogs more easily. I have every intention of carrying clean-up bags in my pocket and we use short leashes, but would like to have a fenced porch area at the door of our camper that would allow the dogs to run in/out at will while we're at the camper.

An internet search reveals lots of products available from retailers who are happy to take your money, but I haven't seen anyone here post pictures of actually using these products. Also, we've been working out the mechanics of how the fencing idea would work and discover that there are more than a few potential problems with the integration of effective fencing.

So, I thought I'd come here and ask about specific experiences from people who love their pets and travel with them. I've read the threaded conversation and realize that traveling with pets is not for everyone. I sympathize with those who choose not to share their lives with pets but I'm looking for practical real-world experiences from those who know and not criticism for our choice.

We don't necessarily need pictures, but how are you managing your "yard" and your dog while relaxing camper-side (not walking)?
Piece of 1/8 inch cable (or it could be 3/32) with a loop in each end (using cable clamps) Barn spike nails with a large washer to make a stake. Stake the cable at each end flat on the ground Have a 6 ft. chain that is attached to a wire rope ring on the cable. chain has a clip such as one finds on dog leashes on the free end.

The cable is not that long, maybe 8 feet but it allows us to give our dog a range while still keeping her on a 6 ft. chain. We tend to run it so the chain when all the way at the end of the cable just reaches the door. Or run it so that one end of her reach is food/water/ shade and the other is our chairs. Or along side the camper.

The length of travel is cable length plus chain length straight out from both ends so 6' chain + 8 ' cable + 6' chain. A 20 foot run without the 20' of leash tied around everything and the 6' chain keeps her under the Mich. state park limits because she can only move 6 ft. out from cable.

Just use a hammer to pull the nail "stakes" out when done. Does help to have a small block of wood under the hammer to increase how far up one can pry. Barn spike or landscape timber nails don't bend and go into the hardest ground, even gravel.

One last thing I have used the same cable for better than 20 years, my old dog was a Samoyed & Husky mix, that dog could pull, broke the ring on a choke collar once when chained during fence repairs. BUT he could not get free of the cable. The ring always "slips" sideways under strain so he could not get straight line force. Force was always distributed to the stakes at both ends. Force on stakes was never in exactly the same direction.

I have on a couple of occasions used an x-pen but that is way more than I would want to haul camping unless I was concerned about other animals harming my dog. You can join more than one x-pen together and make a fairly larger area. Have not done so but have seen it at dog agility trials. Seems to me like a lot of "stuff" compared to a cable & chain in a nylon bag with a couple of stakes.

Our Shih Tzu had the same type of cable but a thin nylon leash rather than a chain. He was too small for all that weight, and not all that hard to hold back, he couldn't pull, in fact a couple of times he got the leash hung up on tufts of grass. :=-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:08 AM   #66

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
You're in KY...Louisville has some MAJOR dog shows. Go to one and check out the RV area where the handlers are staying. Some of them travel with 15 dogs or more. See how THEY are set up for dog yards, ask questions, and go with that.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #67

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Our 2 dogs have been camping with us over 8 years across the USA. We walk them at least every 2 hours, keep them on leash outside or off leash inside. Always bring water from home. avoids upset stomachs.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #68

Kentucky
Registry
eat me chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
So far I just camp out in the middle of nowhere and my dog roams free. He's not going to go far.

I have been thinking about what I'll do if in a less "wild" environment, even going so far (in my thoughts) as some sort of dog door and travel fencing. Haven't thought too much yet, though. But some sort of short, maybe 3' high fence (like I said, he's not going anywhere, it would just be to delineate the boundary), with 4 or 5 small posts that can easily stick in the ground, to put around the door area of the camper.

But for the most part, in campgrounds they've got to be on leash, so I have a 20' leash for the rare times I'm in campgrounds. If I'm not in a campground, he can wander as he wants. But like I said...he's just a good loyal dog and he isn't going anywhere far from the camper or getting into any trouble.

Zacho: Our dogs are not going to behave well enough to stay at our camper while at a campgrounds if there are children or other dogs to investigate. However, that's not my major concern. I have always felt that a leash/rope/chain was simply staking your dog out in a bad situation making them prey to other dogs/animals. I have read of accounts online of coyotes attacking and killing dogs at parks in Arizona that were staked out and left alone. I consider the fence as important to protect our babies and to contain them. Our dogs are small but it would only take one good shake from someone else's big dog to end them. Makes me want something durable enough to protect them.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:42 AM   #69

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by monB View Post
You're in KY...Louisville has some MAJOR dog shows. Go to one and check out the RV area where the handlers are staying. Some of them travel with 15 dogs or more. See how THEY are set up for dog yards, ask questions, and go with that.

Mon
monB: We sold our farm after years of raising goats and use portable fencing that we would haul around to events to make pens that were durable but heavy, to withstand a butting goat or over-curious spectator. I understand what could be arranged by show participants but was really wondering what everyone else is actually doing. So far the comments here have confirmed that no on is using fencing with any regularity. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #70

Missouri
You do know portable fences, then!

What a good many dog people use are x-pens (exercise pens), likely lighter than what you'd use for goats. Some people just unfold the pen outside the RV, some use a smaller pen with a larger pen surrounding, and some have the pen go all around the trailer (for sneaky stray dogs that might come under) with a smaller pen near where people sit for the dogs. Like people and dogs in a pen

I agree with others who say if a dog is tied out it could be attacked by other dogs or wildlife and couldn't protect itself well.

Person as to do what THEY feel is right!

Mon
Old 04-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #71

Missouri
Forgot to add...I used to show my dogs, so have a little dog fence experience. I think however, that goat fencing trumps dog fencing. Goats are MUCH more creative!

Mon
Old 04-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #72

Kentucky
Registry
monB:

Thank you again for your comments. We are considering quite a number of options and have found some nice Xpens for reasonable prices on Amazon. I haven't seen any pictures of these pens in use and have read a few comments regarding complete enclosures, which I like the best. A complete enclosure would afford multiple access points by including multiple gates. The information you've provided is appreciated.

We have never camped before so we don't have the benefit of seeing what others are doing. This entire experience will be such a learning process and we're very excited to begin this weekend.

Thanks again for your help.

b

Quote:
You do know portable fences, then!

What a good many dog people use are x-pens (exercise pens), likely lighter than what you'd use for goats. Some people just unfold the pen outside the RV, some use a smaller pen with a larger pen surrounding, and some have the pen go all around the trailer (for sneaky stray dogs that might come under) with a smaller pen near where people sit for the dogs. Like people and dogs in a pen

I agree with others who say if a dog is tied out it could be attacked by other dogs or wildlife and couldn't protect itself well.

Person as to do what THEY feel is right!

Mon
Old 04-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #73

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Forgot to add...I used to show my dogs, so have a little dog fence experience. I think however, that goat fencing trumps dog fencing. Goats are MUCH more creative!

Mon
And the small panels are 40#s each.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM   #74

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
You have not said if you have big or small dogs so my comments may not be useful if they are big dogs. Our Boston Terriers are used to being on leash as, even at home, they are mostly leashed since they will chase squirrels, birds, anything really. So they are used to that when camping. We have a dining tent to increase space so they are off leash there or in the trailer. They travel crated so, if we leave them in the trailer, they are usually crated in the trailer so they can not jump up and look out the window and see something to bark at or jump at. All things above have been said, watch for temperature, give lots of walks and lots of water. They will show you things when you are walking that you would never have seen. They make good heating pads in the sleeping bag when nights are cold but way too much heat in the bag when the summer night temperature is high! They will love the time with you. Have fun this weekend.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:52 AM   #75

Name: Sam
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Registry
I have a tie out line for my naughty dog. I either attach it to the bumper or the picnic table. It's about 20 ft long enough to come inside or chill outside. She's only ever on it if I'm with her. If I leave the site to go to the out houses are anything she is either with me or locked in the trailer. My well behaved one is free she won't leave my site.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #76

Kentucky
Registry
Bob: we have four dogs (too many, all rescues) and they are all small. Two Chihuahuas and two Poodles. Like yours, they will chase anything that captures their attention. We have walked on leash a lot in preparation and are ready for camping but worry about tangling four leashes if they have to be on leash all the time...our Scamp is not really large enough for us to pack four crates into the small space even if we could leave them alone. Each morning, when we leave for work, I hear them "singing" for about two minutes as we pull out of the drive way. It wouldn't be well received at any campground and the thin walls of a Scamp wouldn't contain much of the chorus.

We recognize the concessions that we're making with having our dogs along camping, but we accepted those as the price of ownership, accepted years ago. Four dogs is too many and we won't do that again, but they are our babies, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
You have not said if you have big or small dogs so my comments may not be useful if they are big dogs.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #77

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
We travel often with two medium size dogs and use a x-pen. It's an easy solution that be configured multiple ways. You can use a tarp over the top for shade /rain cover/security.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM   #78

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I was looking at this but currently not available.
http://www.amazon.com/Aussie-Natural..._3024135011_25
So perhaps...Robot Check
Old 04-27-2016, 10:32 AM   #79
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderers View Post
We have walked on leash a lot in preparation and are ready for camping but worry about tangling four leashes if they have to be on leash all the time
We use dog walker leashes with 2 dogs on each when we take them out for a walk. Fewer things to get tangled:

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Dog Double Leashes

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #80

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
Looking back at the first post, I see that no question was asked. But I guess it's become a little forum in itself. So, I'd like to add a little bit to the commentary.

I use one of those corkscrew things and a 10 foot cable with my dog. No camp host has stopped by with a tape measure, but I think the 6 foot leash rule only applies to outside of your rented site. I also have an eye bolt on the side of the trailer and another just inside the door to hook up that line, as needed. When we go for a walk, we use a shock absorbing leash, just like this one: Shock Absorbing Leash | Dog Leash | EzyDog Cujo It helps keep your arms in their sockets, if you know what I mean.

Unlike most of you, I don't close the windows in my beat up old truck on hot days when I go for groceries. My dog occupies the back seat with rails that keep her from going to the front. She always has water. When it's really hot, we just suffer together. And...this is a black dog who loves to lay in the sun. Go figure. I like to grab a breakfast meal at McDonalds when I can. She always gets at least half the hash browns. I'm Sure she recognizes the Golden Arches when we get close.

I have given up on National Parks, for the most part. They are not very dog-friendly, as others have mentioned. Also, the crowds have become intolerable. But....keep in mind when you make your plans, that most of the Parks are bordered by National Forests, where the rules are much less restrictive. And the beauty doesn't end at the boundary line. I found a wonderful spot on the north rim of the Grand Canyon, by taking a forest road that started just before the official entrance, which was practically grid-locked with big RVs.

I know people say that, when you loose a pet, you should wait awhile before replacing that pet. I didn't last 2 days before I was at the shelter, where I found my new best friend and constant companion. I still get teary-eyed when I think of my last dog, but my new friend has given me love and comfort. We have a Blast!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote