Travelling with pets - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 05:48 PM   #121

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
Keep in mind Charley Steinbeck was a fiction writer. Do a fact check on his trip across America and you will find that he had quite the imagination....
(John Steinbeck of course)...

Regarding the fiction, this was also mentioned when I recommended the book:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post

Never mind that most of it was probably made up. When the 50th anniversary edition of Travels With Charley was published, it included this assessment by Jay Parini that said in part,

...Steinbeck took liberties with the facts, inventing freely when it served his purposes, using everything in the arsenal of the novelist to make this book a readable, vivid narrative. The book remains 'true' in the way all good novels or narratives are true. That is, it provides an aesthetic vision of America at a certain time. The evocation of its people and places stay forever in the mind, and Steinbeck’s understanding of his country at this tipping point in its history was nothing short of extraordinary.

And IMHO that makes the book even more remarkable.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:51 AM   #122

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
Our little Coco is the opposite. She adores it. It might be nice to go camping without her, but she's not having it. [emoji20]
My experience too. Every dog I have had, or the dogs of friends and family, are simply agog at the chance to go camping. When Jasper sees the activity of packing start he starts dancing and prancing around in anticipation. He loves being with us, and even more when camping and being with us pretty much every moment.

We did leave him at home once, when we knew we were doing a couple US National Parks where irresponsible dogs owners have made it near impossible for those with well trained dogs to be able to do stuff with you. Fortunately, we have a big network of folks who would love to take Jasper.

I have never witnessed owner's in campgrounds not picking up after their dogs, nor have I had trouble with dogs. Actually have had very little trouble with noisy people either. Granted, there are a few yappy ones that owners let run to the extent of their leashes right to near the road while barking at you, but that is the minority of them. For the most part, I love seeing other dogs while camping.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #123

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Well, we did it-took the dogs out for 2 nights in a State Park campground.

Pros: 1. they traveled the nearly 3.5 hours one way to and from, and did very well.
2. They slept just fine in the Honda Pilot, one in the back seat, and one in
the very back.
3. It did rain a couple of times, but we strung a tarp above the car, left the windows part way down, and it worked just fine.
4. They tolerated being tethered, or inside the screen tent, pretty well.

Cons: 1. they are not used to being tethered or confined, so less freedom of movement for them, when we weren't specifically hiking or walking.
2. Fortunately, it was middle of the week, with few people in the campground. Our female "guard dog" growled and barked at our closest neighbor, when he went in and out of his tent (pitched outside his parents' bigger trailer.
3. If another dog came near our campsite, then our dogs barked and carried on.

4. Though we hiked early in the day to avoid as much heat as possible, and sat around the campsite in the shade during the hot afternoon, as soon as we got home, the dogs plopped down in our airconditioned house and didn't move for at least 4 hours!

If we were to take them again, I would probably boondock, and go in cooler weather.

At least now, we know what to expect.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #124

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyrnfit View Post
Well, we did it-took the dogs out for 2 nights in a State Park campground.

Pros: 1. they traveled the nearly 3.5 hours one way to and from, and did very well.
2. They slept just fine in the Honda Pilot, one in the back seat, and one in
the very back.
3. It did rain a couple of times, but we strung a tarp above the car, left the windows part way down, and it worked just fine.
4. They tolerated being tethered, or inside the screen tent, pretty well.

Cons: 1. they are not used to being tethered or confined, so less freedom of movement for them, when we weren't specifically hiking or walking.
2. Fortunately, it was middle of the week, with few people in the campground. Our female "guard dog" growled and barked at our closest neighbor, when he went in and out of his tent (pitched outside his parents' bigger trailer.
3. If another dog came near our campsite, then our dogs barked and carried on.

4. Though we hiked early in the day to avoid as much heat as possible, and sat around the campsite in the shade during the hot afternoon, as soon as we got home, the dogs plopped down in our airconditioned house and didn't move for at least 4 hours!

If we were to take them again, I would probably boondock, and go in cooler weather.

At least now, we know what to expect.

CAMPING WITH PETS RULE 1
Read the camp rules for pets.
Rule 2 Read Rule 1.
Rule 3 Read rule 1.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #125

Name: nancy
Trailer: 19' Scamp Deluxe
Tennessee
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
CAMPING WITH PETS RULE 1
Read the camp rules for pets.
Rule 2 Read Rule 1.
Rule 3 Read rule 1.

And rule 1 is?
Our dogs DID NOT bark at night, and were constrained at all times,
if that is what you are referencing.
nancyrnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #126

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
And rule 1 is?
I think he's referencing that most campgrounds strictly prohibit pets being left in the vehicle overnight.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:51 PM   #127

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I think he's referencing that most campgrounds strictly prohibit pets being left in the vehicle overnight.
I have seen a rule against pets being left alone at most every place I have "camped" but I dont recall ever seeing a rule that pets could not spend the night in a vehicle (assuming they were not left alone, whatever that means).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #128

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I have seen a rule against pets being left alone at most every place I have "camped" but I dont recall ever seeing a rule that pets could not spend the night in a vehicle (assuming they were not left alone, whatever that means).
I suppose it varies Gordon, but around here they're quite specific about it. No pets inside the car or truck overnight.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #129

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The sooner you can get a camper where everyone is inside at night the better everyone including the pets will be. That is why we have a travel trailer or why we owned a place at the ocean, so that we could take our furry children with us. Other wise a house sitter gets expensive and the alternative, kenneling is too traumatic.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #130

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
the one time we took our Maggie, a older yellow lab, camping with us, she was quite happy sleeping on her big pillow bed in the back of the truck.

she's a quiet girl, hardly ever barks, almost never more than single WOOFS! at things like a car in the driveway, or a delivery person.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #131

Registry
Quote:
and rule 1 is?
Our dogs did not bark at night, and were constrained at all times,
rule #! Read the campground rules concerning pets
Old 06-17-2018, 11:27 PM   #132

Registry
Quote:
And rule 1 is?
RULE #! READ THE CAMPGROUND RULES CONCERNING PETS

Read all ALL the rules the campground has about pets. Then follow those rules.

Don't assume you know the rules.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:52 PM   #133

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
A great place for dogs that we use is Doggie Daycare.
It's a place where owners put their dogs while they are working during the day.
Some places have over nighters but we never used that option.

When we want to explore museums or places we put her in doggie daycare facilities. Most places has an indoor and outdoor play area where the dogs can go in and out as they please. Newer facilities have webcams that you can watch on your phone. The outside space is quite large and some places has kiddie pools so my dog comes home exhausted running around all day

Just another option if you're in an area that has one

Oh but some places don't take walkins and the places that do sometimes will give a test of commands to see if the dog is obedient enough etc. It just depends on the facility so a call before you go will determine which place to choose, but I think the dogs would love it! My dog seems to!
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #134

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I never thought of using a Doggie Daycare that way but it is a good idea. If you were going to be in one area for a few days you could probably get the dog approved to go ahead of time. Or if you visited the same area frequently. Just remember you need more than the usual vaccinations- make sure your dog has the new flu vaccine (series of two) and probably kennel cough vaccine, too.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #135

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I never thought of using a Doggie Daycare that way but it is a good idea. If you were going to be in one area for a few days you could probably get the dog approved to go ahead of time. Or if you visited the same area frequently. Just remember you need more than the usual vaccinations- make sure your dog has the new flu vaccine (series of two) and probably kennel cough vaccine, too.
Yes, also because it's a daycare lol they will give you these awards, like "Best behaved pup of the day!" or ribbons, medals etc etc. KEEP THOSE! Also keep paper work where you stayed at. THESE come in VERY handy for the next facility if you're doing cross country. They will understand that she's been in these kind of places and are accustomed and that she won't be of nuisance vs randomly calling and just asking if they have a spot. It's a matter of HOW you call I once literally dropped in because I spot a place while driving and I brought the dog and the paperwork with me inside and was able to make an appointment with all my "proof" The woman kept saying we don't usually do this...but... lol

Other than that instance I try to plan my places around doggie daycare facilities when we know we will be visiting places where dogs are not permitted calling weeks ahead
Old 06-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #136

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks, Amy. That may be very useful once I finally get around to my X-country trip. I also have Sadie's CGC certificate. Can't do it now with two senior special-needs boys but the time will come (both are 13).
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:55 PM   #137

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Thanks, Amy. That may be very useful once I finally get around to my X-country trip. I also have Sadie's CGC certificate. Can't do it now with two senior special-needs boys but the time will come (both are 13).
Ohhh, I have never heard of CGC certificate. But yes, if you have that I am pretty sure it will be much much easier for the dogs who do have it!

I wrote this in another post but I thought it might be better here

My dog started having accidents in the camper, she usually gives out a short bark when she needs to go but she stopped barking altogether because I was so adamant about barking (not the potty bark but when she barked at someone or something) when we were on camp grounds.

Poor thing she NEVER barks while camping now so we gave her this

https://www.amazon.com/MROCO-All-Met...&keywords=bell

When she needs to go potty she just rings it. When we drive too long she sometimes gets tummy problems so isn’t consistent in her potty schedule but since she doesn’t bark any more this has been great.

She does bark at home to let her out so I think she knows it’s a no no inside the camper.

It’s just great because I don’t have to keep checking especially when raining outside when her tummy isn’t feeling well. She’ll let us know whether it's in the middle of the night or early morning lol!

Just thought if anybody's dog seemed to have this kind of problem
Old 06-22-2018, 11:33 PM   #138
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Took half a dozen trips or so, but with training our 3 terriers are excellent campers. They have a pen outside the camper and are happy to watch the other campers on a stroll. They do bark a few times when other dogs bark at them in their pen, though.

When we leave them in the trailer, the dinette cushions form a cave they snooze in and there is a divider to constrain them there for an hour or so while we wander; we leave the stereo on with a CD running that repeats forever to mask outside noise. They seem to be particularly fond of Bon Jovi CDs.........

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #139
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
I suppose it varies Gordon, but around here they're quite specific about it. No pets inside the car or truck overnight.
That's interesting, Robert. Have never noticed that either... but I won't be rereading the rules anytime soon. (We lost our beautiful Mavis this week, and are now houndless.)
Attached Thumbnails
2013_0829_IMG_2150 copy.jpg  
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #140

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
They seem to be particularly fond of Bon Jovi CDs.........
Great, now I have "It's My Life" rattling through me wee brain.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote