ukuleles... lots of em - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #29

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
hey Marc, check out the Vancouver Ukulele circle. they have been kind enough to let us use their song book. great group!

I'm 2nd from the left in the video BTW

Old 10-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #30

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Quote:
I'm 2nd from the left in the video BTW
Nice to meet you, Scott!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #31

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
woooohooooo "uke can save the world"

very cool to see ukeleliests here.
i have been playing since 1963. have quite a collection, as you can never own one uke.
i have 20's ukes, new ukes, banjo ukes, cigar box ukes. i also recently built my first mountain dulcimer and am having a great time learning on it.

for the lady wanting to try uke playing,,, hilo makes a nice little uke you can get for about $30.
Miejers stores sell a plastic uke based on the old macaffery islander that was molded from the martin M1 and they actual play and sound very nice.
you won't believe who taught me to play... in 1963 my father , broather and i went with Fred Bear on a trip to africa to bow hunt elephant.
Aurthur Godfrey went also and sitting next to a campfire in africa showed me some basics.....now is that cool for a 12 year old kid or what?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #32

Name: Sharon
Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Georgia
Wow, John. That's the coolest introduction to uke I've ever read!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #33

Manitoba
Registry
that's a very cool story John. I hope I get a chance to play around a campfire with you some day. I have a similar collection... favorite being a custom made Taropatch 8 string uke.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #34

Michigan
lol ever notice when you pull out a uke at a campground a crowd gathers?

you'd think i was actualy good with it.lol
Old 02-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #35

Manitoba
Registry
I think we both have them fooled John
Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #36

Michigan
nice thing about the uke for me, when i pull it out no one takes me serious,,,, which with my voice is a positive.<_<
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #37

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
okay everybody---you have inspired me! i bought my husband a guitar for his 50th birthday almost 5 years ago, with hopes he would be able to entertain me around a campfire. he found he just couldn't get the finger action down because he found the neck too big. apparently, from what i found out, it's just a normal size. either way, no guitar playing has been happening around our fire!
i had given some thought to trying to teach myself to play....now---forget the darn guitar, i'm going to hunt me down a uke! with sharon, melissa and pam giving it a try, i think i'll be next!
my campfire thanks you....but my camping neighbours most likely won't!!!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #38

Michigan
ok, heres two nice inexpensive ukes, the Hilo you can get for about $30
and one at miejers thats plastic , but a direct copy of martin guitars m1 uke . it plays and sounds pretty nice.

you can get some info on playing at EZfolk.com

and here is some insperation for you. but don't let jim intimidate you.he is a genious, we can just play for fun.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #39

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
Wow! That was great. Inspirational in deed. Thx John.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #40

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Oh, Melissa, that would be so much fun!

I am having second thoughts about whether or not I ordered the right ukulele. I heard a Mainland Classic Mahogany Concert size being played on three different Youtube videos, and the sound is so much richer and warmer. Also, I do like the concert size for packing in the camper. And Mainland sets them up for you when you buy them, too. I might return the Lanikai.... not sure yet. Anyway, the Mainland is a lot more expensive.

I really want to get good at finger picking solos since it will be rare that I have anyone to play with (except you at rallies!).

I am so grateful that Scott started this thread. I had been looking at all kinds of portable instruments like mandolins and dulcimers, and they just didn't seem like "me." So I've been looking for the right thing to get me back into music, and it looks like the uke will be the one!
there is no wrong ukulele.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #41

Name: Teri
Trailer: Trails West Campster
California
Registry
Can't believe I have missed this thread on the forum. I am an avid ukulele fan/player and teacher. The ukulele is great for travel and it tends to draw a crowd when you pull it out.

There are so many beginning ukulele sites and books now you can find whatever works for you. For a starter ukulele it is best to spend a little money but easy to get a nice starter for under $100.

I look forward to seeing some of you on the road with your ukuleles out playing and singing.

Teri aka Ukulele Teri
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Boler American
Missouri
All,

I have played guitar since high school and play - passably several different instruments. A couple of years ago I went to a uke workshop hosted by the "Ukel-aliens" and had a blast. When I graduated my wife bought me a Kala mahogony tenor uke. A really nice uke with an onboard tuner and an equalizer for the pickup. Ain't nothin' sounds like a uke driving thru a distortion pedal and a grunge setting on the amp. Actually I have only done that once but it does sound really good thru my Fender acoustic amp with just a little bit of chorus.

Anyway, mine was in the $250 price range so a little spendy but still mid-range (and a whole lot cheaper than any of my guitars). It will also last a lifetime. I mainly just strum and chord but can do a little picking. It is easy to carry even on a motorcycle and is perfect for singing Kumbya around the campfire.

Get a decent one for under a hundred bucks with a gig bag and see if you like it. If you do, buy a "nicer" one and hand off the first one to the kids or the grandkids. If you do not like it then sell it at a garage sale or hang it on the wall.

The only downside, if it can be called that, is that they just sound too darn happy to use for playing the blues.

John

1972 Boler American

Borders of Clan Cummins

"Riot? What riot? I just rode into town and all these cars were burning." said by some unknown actor in an old "B" biker movie.