ukuleles... lots of em - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #41

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Can't believe I have missed this thread on the forum. I am an avid ukulele fan/player and teacher. The ukulele is great for travel and it tends to draw a crowd when you pull it out.

There are so many beginning ukulele sites and books now you can find whatever works for you. For a starter ukulele it is best to spend a little money but easy to get a nice starter for under $100.

I look forward to seeing some of you on the road with your ukuleles out playing and singing.

Teri aka Ukulele Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #42

Name: John
Trailer: Boler American
Missouri
All,

I have played guitar since high school and play - passably several different instruments. A couple of years ago I went to a uke workshop hosted by the "Ukel-aliens" and had a blast. When I graduated my wife bought me a Kala mahogony tenor uke. A really nice uke with an onboard tuner and an equalizer for the pickup. Ain't nothin' sounds like a uke driving thru a distortion pedal and a grunge setting on the amp. Actually I have only done that once but it does sound really good thru my Fender acoustic amp with just a little bit of chorus.

Anyway, mine was in the $250 price range so a little spendy but still mid-range (and a whole lot cheaper than any of my guitars). It will also last a lifetime. I mainly just strum and chord but can do a little picking. It is easy to carry even on a motorcycle and is perfect for singing Kumbya around the campfire.

Get a decent one for under a hundred bucks with a gig bag and see if you like it. If you do, buy a "nicer" one and hand off the first one to the kids or the grandkids. If you do not like it then sell it at a garage sale or hang it on the wall.

The only downside, if it can be called that, is that they just sound too darn happy to use for playing the blues.

John

1972 Boler American

Borders of Clan Cummins

"Riot? What riot? I just rode into town and all these cars were burning." said by some unknown actor in an old "B" biker movie.
Borders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #43

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
awesome Theresa! go for it
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:57 PM   #44

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
i had given some thought to trying to teach myself to play....now---forget the darn guitar, i'm going to hunt me down a uke! with sharon, melissa and pam giving it a try, i think i'll be next!
my campfire thanks you....but my camping neighbours most likely won't!!!
Theresa, that is awesome! There is nothing so much fun as making music, and you don't have to be good at it to have a blast!
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 12:35 PM   #45

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415902871.580902.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	78570Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415902910.322606.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	78571Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1415902944.752450.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	78572

Well, I picked up another soprano banjo ukulele a couple of weeks ago. It's the open backed one next to my wife's 1925 model. They both appear to be identical except for the back and probably made by Slingerland as far as I can tell. The other day I found a $.50 wooden salad plate in a reuse store and made a 1895 style back. Did a little wood burning and a bit of tinting on it and enhanced the sound and looks.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #46

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Send a message via MSN to Bobbiemae
That sounds like so much fun around a campfire.
Bobbiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #47

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Ohio
If you are looking for uke books, go to Jim Beloff's sight. He has 2 books with 365 songs to learn. I bought a fluke and a couple of books from there and have been having fun when time permits. His ukes are more expensive, but have the plastic(lol) backs like the ovation guitars. Nice sound on the uke and stays in tune. Since you already have a uke, this sight also has dvd's to learn how to play.
PMWIZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #48

Ohio
His brand is called the fluke.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #49

Ohio
The site is. Fleamarketmusic.com
Old 02-22-2015, 06:40 PM   #50

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1424651878.747399.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	80656Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1424651898.762308.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	80657
Check out the gourd tenor Banjolele I just finished. It's setting in just fine.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:55 PM   #51

Name: Pineapple Man
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Ohio
Whoa James !!! Awesome !!
Old 02-22-2015, 10:54 PM   #52

Name: Rod
Trailer: 1984 Dolphin
Wisconsin
I play the tener uke too.
Ace57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:20 AM   #53

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I never knew about all the varieties of Ukes! very interesting thread
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:13 AM   #54

Ohio
Beautiful uke. You did a great job in the construction.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #55

Look through the thread "a cut above" and see the other folk instruments that I have made. Most are made from broken and discarded parts of old guitars and found items. The hourglass dulcimer for instance came from the roadside spring cleanup. A discarded maple bed headboard, an old redwood fence board and a broken guitar. Fun stuff!

Old 02-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #56

Ohio
Beautiful work!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #57

Name: Shelly
Trailer: Casita LD 17'
North Carolina
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 80656Attachment 80657
Check out the gourd tenor Banjolele I just finished. It's setting in just fine.

Mr Kent, That is a true beauty of a uke! Love the woodburned celtic knot. Sounds like we could talk for hours about common hobbies. I am a gourd art enthusiasts and had a business selling gourd crafting supplies in the south east. I sold woodburners, saws and dyes until I got tired of toting all my supplies and setting up and breaking down all by myself at different festivals. I just recently picked up the ukulele and attempted to teach myself for 3 months and decided I needed to go to the next level and signed up for private lessons last week.
Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting your pictures. Inspiring, I've got the gourds just not the skills to build my own instruments.
Gourdamental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 09:10 AM   #58

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Ooh, just discovered this thread. My husband and I took up the uke a little over a year ago and are having tons of fun with it. We joined a group here in our hometown called BUG (Bellingham Ukelele Group) that meets monthly for jams and has other events throughout the year, including a very fun 3 day camping outing each summer. The neat thing about a uke is that it's easy to learn enough basic chords to start playing and singing along almost immediately and the size of it makes it easy to take along with you just about anywhere. The best thing about the uke is that you just can't help but feel happy whether you're playing it or listening to it!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 10:17 AM   #59

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
They say money can't buy happiness, but you can by an ukulele and that is pretty much the same.

Love playing the ukulele and banjolele. Lots of fun and relaxation. They go with our tiny trailers.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourdamental View Post
Mr Kent, That is a true beauty of a uke! Love the woodburned celtic knot. Sounds like we could talk for hours about common hobbies. I am a gourd art enthusiasts and had a business selling gourd crafting supplies in the south east. I sold woodburners, saws and dyes until I got tired of toting all my supplies and setting up and breaking down all by myself at different festivals. I just recently picked up the ukulele and attempted to teach myself for 3 months and decided I needed to go to the next level and signed up for private lessons last week.

Keep up the good work. Thanks for posting your pictures. Inspiring, I've got the gourds just not the skills to build my own instruments.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. The ukuleles are for my wife. You can see some of the other instruments that I've built in the thread " a cut above". I started with simple cigar box stick dulcimers and slowly progressed as I gained experience. Close inspection would show that I still have a long way to go.
No wonder I retired....Too many hobbies and not enough time. Lol!
Jim