Vintage sewing machines and curtain rods - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Vintage sewing machines and curtain rods

Gilda, I started a new thread so we wouldn't further hijack the OP in the other thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Hi Ellpea,
Looks like you and I share a penchant for sewing and for old sewing machines, especially Singer! I love my Singer Featherweight on which I learned to sew at age 5 and continue to cherish. In fact, most of my "glamping" decor for the Scamp were made on that "gem". Do you do the mechanical repairs on the old machines? Do you mostly save them for yourself or give/sell them to others?
Hello Gilda,
Yes, this is quite a passion, although it has abated a bit with working on the trailer. I *do* work on them and sell/give away. I have *two* Featherweights, and love them. One needs to find a new home. I started looking at heavier duty machines when I worried that working on heavier materials was too taxing for the little one, so also have an awesome 319k and a 401... and some others. My pride is my 1906 White Family Rotary (I think I put a picture in the album) in a treadle cabinet. I'm working on window awnings right now, and that machine loves anything I put into it (except for polyester thread)!

Right now I have about 6 other machines in various stages of readiness, but they are all languishing at the moment, probably waiting for camping season to recede and the need for indoor hobbies to re-appear.

This little 1876 hand crank is so much a favorite I keep it sitting here next to me even when I'm not sewing. It will be quite a joy to have it to sew on even off the grid!

You asked for other pictures of my window setup. I've taken some but have not uploaded them yet... But did you see in someone else's post about using plastic tubing to fit into the curved corners? VIOLA! That would totally work, slipping curtain rods into each end! The only fixture I'd be lacking is the spot to attach rod on curbside, since closet has been removed. But ideas are percolating on that...

D you have any other vintage
Old 08-15-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

Name: Nancy
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Sewing machines

I just got a golden touch & Sew 620 Singer, like new condition, works beautifully, portable with nice case, would you believe for $7.00! I have 3 Singer 401a's. I have Babylock 1550 I donated to the church for their craft group which works well. I have had the anniversary singer featherweight but my sister has that now. I find good machines and then find homes for them. Have a hard time walking by sewing machines at thrift shop. I think the Singer 401a is probably the best machine Singer made. I am glad to find someone else who does the collecting too. I was camping when I found the 620. My daughter has some beautiful old machines too. She loves them, her husband thinks they multiply in his house:-). Nancy in the Casita
NancyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:13 PM   #3

Trailer:
I don't understand hand crank machines as I have enough trouble sewing with my 1896 Model 15 treadle - my mother used a hand crank all her life so even having seen one used, I still don't get it.

But then I didn't get how you were supposed to drive a manual car with three pedals and only two feet, having learnt to ride a motorcycle first where it's possible to operate all the controls at once.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #4

CA
Hello Nancy in the Casita,

So I'm not the only one to have multiples of the same model! The 401's are SO good, being direct drive AND completely metal. The T&S's are fun too, the cams are interchangeable with the 401's. But check the date (or inside), if it has plastic gears make sure to use your 401 for heavier stuff!

I *really* had the bug for a while. Couldn't stay away from the estate sales where grandma had her old machine that had been sitting for 40 years with all attachments still in the drawer! And it's so amazing that models like the 401 are SO strong and resilient and will sew for another 100 years for $7, when Singer has these completely plastic things with computers (when the mother board goes it's just gone) for $800 PLUS.

Singer salespeople literally snarl at me when I tell them what I have. *And* this sweet 319 can move happily into a treadle cabinet, if we ever want to sew fancy stitches completely off the grid. Ain't that fun?

Do you ever sew in your trailer?
Old 08-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I don't understand hand crank machines as I have enough trouble sewing with my 1896 Model 15 treadle - my mother used a hand crank all her life so even having seen one used, I still don't get it.

But then I didn't get how you were supposed to drive a manual car with three pedals and only two feet, having learnt to ride a motorcycle first where it's possible to operate all the controls at once.
Andrew, it just sounds like you need lots more practice treadling. Lots and lots. If you can ride a bicycle, you can eventually treadle like it's second nature. I know the hand crank is more intimidating, but then it's more (for me) for sewing straight seams in a quiet setting with no pressure to speed. The lovely thing is it's so speed-controllable, and obviously you can stop on a dime if necessary (hard to do with electric, possible with treadles but a bit more challenging).

I hadn't treadled in about 30 years when I finally got my White FR (found the exact same model and cabinet I had when I was 20), and it was kind of spooky how the hand remembers just how to push the hand wheel to get everything started...
Old 08-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

Name: Nancy
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Sewing machines

it is so much fun to have a sewing project going. It is nice sharing this interest with you. Nancy
NancyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:03 PM   #7

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyC View Post
it is so much fun to have a sewing project going. It is nice sharing this interest with you. Nancy
Nancy, have you seen the "Vintage Sewing Machine" group on Facebook? They have tens of thousands of members, who are all wonderful, and share this same passion. I found them after Bonnie Hunter mentioned them while sewing on her treadle (Quiltcam on YouTube). They really piqued my interest, and the many members there talked me through the first refurbs I did, and helped me get the Singer 12 needle adjusted so it actually sewed again.

BTW, when I first came across "Quiltcam," I thought "how silly. This woman sits there and sews and just TALKS." Then I kept watching and watching. She's great to listen to while doing a project!

LP
Old 08-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #8

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
We have a selection of vintage sewing machines, and I am not sure just how it happened! The oldest is a Singer 12 treadle, next is an electrified White Rotary that dates from 1921. My Grandmother's Singer Featherweight, a Bernina machine the size and weight of the Featherweight, Linda's Newer Bernina (the only one actually used for sewing). And about 6 Singer Sew-Handies Toy machines, different vintages. I love machines of all types and find old sewing machines a joy to tune up and adjust.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I'm a guy and have about 40 machines or so now. 19 of the 401s and 503s. I have restored several and I too have issues walking by and seeing an old machine without rescuing it. I have two featherweights and 5 blue badges of different models. Very addictive. Here are some of my machines.
GMikea's Library | Photobucket
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:16 PM   #10

CA
Mike's machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
I'm a guy and have about 40 machines or so now. 19 of the 401s and 503s. I have restored several and I too have issues walking by and seeing an old machine without rescuing it. I have two featherweights and 5 blue badges of different models. Very addictive. Here are some of my machines.
GMikea's Library | Photobucket
Mike, that Jones hand crank is AWESOME. Really beautiful decals. What year is it, do you think?

Your 201 looks like one I have in pieces right now. I had to order a new tension assembly (the old one was just too corroded to revive), but now I'm missing the thread guide. The old one could be cleaned and used, but it doesn't fit the new assembly "spoke." This is the point where I give up and sew awnings for the trailer for a while!

You have some great machines. Welcome to the obsession!

Ellpea
Old 06-10-2016, 11:35 PM   #11

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I used to sew all the time, it was an early passion learned at my seamstress mother's knees. But we were not allowed as youngsters to use her sewing machine as it was a commercial model and ran too fast for beginners. About the time I was 12 or so she bought a portable machine for us kids to use. I think it might have been a White but am not sure. Anyway it was a good machine which rarely gave me any trouble.

As a newly wed my husband who was in the Navy and went on R & R to Japan I think and sent me home a Singer. Now that was a truly horrid sewing machine and I just hated it. Even having it tuned up did little good as it went right back out of adjustment. So I took out my first loan ever and bought a brand new Bernina Record 830 in 1971. I still have it and it still runs perfectly so I have had no reason to become a collector of sewing machines although I did have a treadle for a little while just for the fun of it but sold it when I moved as it did take up space that I needed for other things..

Nowadays I sew mostly for utility reasons, making cushions, curtains, storage pouches, dog jackets, sail covers, etc. I am no longer addicted to sewing the way I was when in my teens and twenties. I guess that is because my professional life became making complex things for a living and that satisfied that strong urge to use my hands to create things. Also I had a strong urge to do some woodworking so that too diverted and satisfied me. But sewing is a skill I am truly glad I have and it was the foundation skill from early in my life that I built upon for learning to use many other power tools, maintain and adjust tools and also for helping to further develop three dimensional thinking and the ability to see and understand measured drawings. It was also the foundation of understanding material types, how they perform for strength, durability and comformability.

It is great brain food for any child or adult
I was just wondering did I still remember the name of the man credited with inventing a sewing machine (in the USA) and yes I did get it correct! An aging brain miracle to remember such things.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

CA
KC,
I think you hit the nail on the head: sewing is a great foundation for other things. I think it helps you think geometrically; when you learn how to make something flat fit something three dimensional you've really gained a skill. If your Bernina was built in 1970, I bet it has all metal gears and will last forever. It should be a keeper!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #13

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
KC,
I think you hit the nail on the head: sewing is a great foundation for other things. I think it helps you think geometrically; when you learn how to make something flat fit something three dimensional you've really gained a skill. If your Bernina was built in 1970, I bet it has all metal gears and will last forever. It should be a keeper!
It does indeed have the all metal gears.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:30 PM   #14

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
I received my mother's hand-me-downs and have an old Singer 600 series with the metal gears. Since then, I have bought a couple at yard sales that I have passed on to my daughters. My youngest got her degree in Fashion Design and still uses hers as well as three or four other machines. When her husband expressed an interest in sewing his own costumes (they are big into Japanese Anime and cosplaying), she found one and bought it for him for Christmas. I love how easy they have been to maintain (knock on wood.)
I've recently been making new covers for the cushions in the Compact II I bought and made a trial roman shade in preparation for replacing the curtains in my Bigfoot.
I love the feeling of accomplishment.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:09 PM   #15

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lora View Post
I received my mother's hand-me-downs and have an old Singer 600 series with the metal gears. Since then, I have bought a couple at yard sales that I have passed on to my daughters. My youngest got her degree in Fashion Design and still uses hers as well as three or four other machines. When her husband expressed an interest in sewing his own costumes (they are big into Japanese Anime and cosplaying), she found one and bought it for him for Christmas. I love how easy they have been to maintain (knock on wood.)
I've recently been making new covers for the cushions in the Compact II I bought and made a trial roman shade in preparation for replacing the curtains in my Bigfoot.
I love the feeling of accomplishment.
Lora, there's a lot to be said for taking something and making it better with your own two hands. I love the feeling of accomplishment too!

Tags
vin