Your all time favorite vehicle??? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2015, 05:32 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
69 Rally Racing Green Camero, unfortunately hot cars and teenagers don't mix, at least not for long. Just like this one except not an SS.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
My second car, and most favourite, was a '64 Oldsmobile F-85 Cutlass. 330 big block, four speed muncie. Not my photo, but the same colour as mine was.

Most sad car story. In the late 70''s, I had $600 in my pocket, and needed a car. I came across a '67 Camaro SS for $600. The problem was, the 396 engine needed a rebuild, otherwise the car was in excellent condition. I sadly had to pass to find something that ran decent. I cringe at the though of how much that sucker would be worth now, even in the condition it was in then. I still lust after getting one, maybe some day before I die. Again, not my photo.

My first car also carries fond memories. It was a '62 Chevy Acadian 2 door. Basic model, 6 cyl with a 2 speed auto transmission (slush box). While just a plain model, that sucker took me everywhere and took a lot of abuse from a 16 year old kid. It is the only vehicle (car, truck or recreational) that I ever named, Andy. It came with a key fob with that name on it. Here is one fixed up a little nicer than mine was.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #23

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I would have to say the two 2003 VW Eurovans we've owned are my all time favorites. We have used them as Tow vehicle, family cars, and like a pick-up truck. Great versatile vans!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:58 AM   #24
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Thnx for posting folks. Really enjoying the stories and pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
Easy. I was 16 and it was my first car. 1967 Ford Galaxy 500. Sid
Sid... There is a guy at the end of our street with a 66 500. It is in nice shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
I'm another AMC fan. My first car was a 10 year old completely worn out '69 Rambler 2 door sedan. My favorite car was my '80 Eagle, closely followed by my '77 Pacer!
-- Dan Meyer
Dan, I always liked the underdog stigma of the AMC line. I also bought a brand new 70 Gremlin, and a 76 Pacer (which I reworked and installed a Ford 302 V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
well there are a few but the car that really turned my head as a young man was the Volvo P1800ES wagon, that back hatch was what sealed it for me!
Dudley.... One of my pals has a P1800ES wagon. I saw it a few weeks ago. He has owned it for over 40 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
1953 Studebaker Commander 2dr Hardtop with a 57 Pontiac engine, Cad/LaSalle box etc, a 40 Ford coupe with a 283 Chev and, a 32 Ford coupe. And then there was the 1954 Corvette,
Bob, I always wanted a 30's/40's hot rod but it never came to be. I did have a 69, 427 Corvette back in the mid 70's. After it was fixed after "the accident" it was never quite the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDane View Post
How did I forget we had a Sunlit Gold San Jose made '67 289 Mustang for a couple of years? I never remember to put that on my lists. Would love to see your MGTD!
GD... My pal back in the late 60's had a hunter green 67 Mustang coupe. It had a 289 with a 3speed manual, floor shift. A week after I bought the AMX he went out and bought a 1970 Boss Mustang. BTW.... he tried a number of times but that Boss was no match for the AMX.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #25
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post

Most sad car story. In the late 70''s, I had $600 in my pocket, and needed a car. I came across a '67 Camaro SS for $600. The problem was, the 396 engine needed a rebuild, otherwise the car was in excellent condition. I sadly had to pass to find something that ran decent. I cringe at the though of how much that sucker would be worth now, even in the condition it was in then. I still lust after getting one, maybe some day before I die. Again, not my photo.
Jim... Your story about the 67 SS makes me think of a nice car I passed up too. About 1971 I saw a mid 60's Corvette Stingray coupe with a 427 4 speed. It was at a small used car lot in Virgil Ontario. The price on the window was $1,999.00. I walked away thinking there was no way I could afford to buy it not to mention the cost of putting super in the gas tank.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:22 AM   #26

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My current tow vehicle that I've only owned for about 8 years ('76 pickup) and my '62 Fairlane that I've owned for about 30 years. The Fairlane can be seen in the movie "Taking Woodstock"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0070.jpg   IMG_0267.jpg  

mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #27
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow, Donna. Surprised this hasn't come up before. My first car was a 65 Mustang. It had the small engine (200cc straight six). My dad sold it to me when I graduated college and then bought himself a 289 that otherwise looked just like it. I didn't want to race him.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:10 AM   #28
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
My first car was a 65 Mustang. It had the small engine (200cc straight six). My dad sold it to me when I graduated college and then bought himself a 289 that otherwise looked just like it. I didn't want to race him.
LOL, I understand the power issue with the 200ci six Mary. When looking for my first car I took a 1964 Ford Falcon with the same engine out for a test drive. It could barely get off the lot and up to 30MPH! I ended up buying this 850cc Austin Mini. It was quicker than the Falcon....LOL
Attached Thumbnails
mini 005.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:38 AM   #29

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Our favorite car was the Echo, peppy 1.6L 4 speed automatic it only pulled a small 1000lb trailer but was a joy to drive while towing or in snow. Do not miss the smaller trailer, just the car.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #30

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I've owned many cars and trucks over the years but I have to say my all time favorites were the Mitsubishi Montero Sports I owned, three in total, all 4x4s. I had a first year 1997 XLS, then when the 3.5L V6 came out I upgraded to a 1999 Limited, and finally a 2003 XLS. I drove those things into the ground and they were as tough as nails.

Mitsubishi quit making them for the North American market in 2004. I finally had to get rid of my last one when I started living part of the year in Alaska, where there is no Mitsubishi dealer, thus no parts nor factory service. It was 9 years old when I sold it but it looked and ran like a champ. I still see it now and then around Anchorage and every time I do, I miss it.

I drive a 4WD Toyota Tundra now. It's nice and tows my Bigfoot nicely, but I don't have an emotional connection to it like I did to the Monteros. This is a pic I took of my last Montero Sport, the 2003 XLS, on my first trip to Alaska at "Mile 0" of the Alaska Highway. I sold it later that year.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6255_montero_sport_dc.jpg  
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM   #31

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have owned many great cars(around eighty)... from a beautiful 1929 Ford streetrod, A 1957 Chevy BelAir convertible, many special interest cars with thousands of hours spent building them. I loved my early Cougars, Mustang convertible and third generation Econolines. The rock solid reliability of several Ranger pick-ups deserves honorable mention.
When all is said and done though. My all time favorite vehicle so far was my 1977 Ford Pinto sedan, bright yellow with black stripes. With only a couple hundred dollars in modifications, (good tires and shocks) this car left me smiling with every turn of the key!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 AM   #32

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I want to play...

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures but do have many memories.

First car (like my first girlfriend) was special – 1953 MGTD.Unlike Donna it isn’t still in my garage. I did own it for almost 25 years andit went from daily driver to school to weekend cruising. Followed by a 1968 MGC that was the best road car I ever had. It was a little heavy in the front endwith that 6 cyl motor but would eat up the hwys. Even though it was British, it was bullet proof. Bought when it had about 40.0k miles on it and parked it whenit hit 160.0k; spun the bearings. Ended up selling it for what I originallypaid for it. It is another one I still wish I had in the garage. They only madethe “C” for 2 years.

Third and final regret was a 1975 Cosworth Vega. Talk abouta sleeper! In ’75 Road & Track published that it had quicker ¼ mile timesthan the ’75 Vet. They were only made for 2 years and pretty much you boughtthe engine and Chevrolet gave you the car for free. They also cost more than theVet. Twin overhead cams, pent roof combustion chamber, 16 valve, stainless tubularheaders, fuel injection and over 4,000 RPM it pulled like a V-8 up to 6,500RPM. And everybody thought it was just a black Vega.

Now days I’m in pursuit of the “favorite trailer”! Great memories.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM   #33

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
69 Rally Racing Green Camero, unfortunately hot cars and teenagers don't mix, at least not for long. Just like this one except not an SS.

Boy does that look familiar! A tough call for me between my first, a 1959 MG Midget & my 1969 Camaro SS convertible (only a 350), but lots of fun.

I drove both into the ground (although that doesn't take long here in the heavily salted north east roads)...
Attached Thumbnails
fam075.jpg   camerogc.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #34

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
This 1970 Corvette was what I drove during my 3rd thru 5th years of college at Ole Miss. It had all the bells and whistles that you could order in 1970 and still cost less than $7000. It could be filled with premium gas for about $6.00. I have no idea what its gas milage was, at less than 30 cents a gallon, nobody ever wondered.

Although it would be totaly impractable to own today, I wish I'd somehow held on to it. But I sat in one just like it a few years ago and was amazed at how uncomfortable it was compared to todays vehicles. Still, it was a pretty cool car to own at twenty.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0116.jpg  
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:55 PM   #35

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Hmmm, judging from some of the responses a lot of us are getting on up there. And also that most of you have owned a lot cooler cars than me. I guess my fav is sitting down in my barn. It is a bone stock 1968 Chevy K10 4X4. Three on the tree, smallish straight six, no power anything, short box step side. In order for me to get it the previous owner made me promise to take good care of it and ensure it never turned into a mud bogger.

My second would be my two-owner (me second) 1965 Dodge Coronet. Four doors, three on the tree, six seat belts and six rims/tires. The original/previous owner went to the junk yard and added two more lap belts front and back so so everybody could ride safely. He also found another stock rim and mounted a set of snow tires he swapped on in the winter. They are in the trunk and as I have no need of snow tires (in Florida) I suppose I just have two spares. He drove it to Florida from the mid-west, retired and sold it to me for $225 (instead of the $250 asking price because the battery was dead). Still has coffee cans in the trunk with every set of points, condenser and spark plug the car ever saw.

Both of the above would probably make cool Scamp-toters.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:04 PM   #36

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
1974 Lotus Europa TC Special. Sadly, it hasn't left my garage in years. Needs a new water pump and the first step in the shop manual for changing the pump is: Remove the Engine. A recently purchased sailboat swept my attention away.

Overall height: 42.5". That's about to the bottom of the driver's window on my Flex. I used to tell people that when I changed lanes I could feel it in my butt as I passed over the paint stripes.
Attached Thumbnails
Lotus.jpg  
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #37

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
38 years ago I bought my 1974 Bronco and kept it all this time. 3 years ago I gave it a face lift. In all these years the only people that touched it was the smog testers and tire shops. I kept it alive all these years.
Attached Thumbnails
fabuluous_fords_forever_2013_knottsberry_farm071.jpg  
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:24 PM   #38

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Jim, Wayne I can add a sad story also. My neighbor was the So Cal District manager for Chevy. He had bought a 1956 Nomad new. Had one of his dealerships install a 327 Vet motor in it. In 1972 he ask me if I wanted it as it was time to let it go. Beautiful copper and white, mint cond but I don't care for the looks of the '56 front and rear end so I passed. I've kicked myself to many times over that. I could have bought it for $900.00. Look at the $$$ now. Talk about the one that got away
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:35 PM   #39
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L. View Post
1974 Lotus Europa TC Special.

Overall height: 42.5".
Hey Steve... Looks like a keeper. Back in the early 70's I sat in an Europa. I am 6'2" and it was a struggle. My feet disappeared somewhere up near the headlights. I told the salesman I was looking for a daily driver and he nicely told me to "keep looking", as the Europa was a race car with licence plates and wouldn't stand up to city, stop and go driving. I liked the car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Jim, Wayne I can add a sad story also. My neighbor was the So Cal District manager for Chevy. He had bought a 1956 Nomad new. Had one of his dealerships install a 327 Vet motor in it. In 1972 he ask me if I wanted it as it was time to let it go. Beautiful copper and white, mint cond but I don't care for the looks of the '56 front and rear end so I passed. I've kicked myself to many times over that. I could have bought it for $900.00. Look at the $$$ now. Talk about the one that got away
Oh boy Dave, wouldn't a Nomad with a Vet engine be a gold mine today.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 PM   #40

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Well we are into the cold winter months and not lucky enough to be down south so thought I would get something going here that would interest most of us.

I have owned about 30 vehicles over my lifetime and was thinking what if?

What if I could have any one of them back again which one would it be?

After a bit of thought mine would have to be this 1970 AMX. I owned it from 1971 to 1973 and had so much fun with this car. It ran H/PS at Toronto Dragway Park and was never beaten in about a dozen runs there. Best time was 14:32 @ 100MPH with street tires. No doubt with sticky rear tires high 13's would be in range. It had a 360ci V8 with a close ratio 4 speed, factory Hurst shifter, posi rear end with factory trac bars.

This pic was taken in 1973 just before I sold it. I'm interested in hearing about your favorite all time vehicle!

Well U sold yours just be fore I bought mine, 1964 Mercury Comet bought Oct. '74,, still have it, has been many different vehicles though, was our daily driver at first, 289 4 speed stock, then put a 351c 4 speed went drag racing, then a sunday ice cream driver, street terror,, changed to supercharged V6 5speed, and started really driving it, last year to California and back pulling our Boler.
I traded a year old VW beetle and 500$ to boot, most everybody laughed at me,,,,,,, there's something about he who laughs last,,,,,
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote