Ideas & Suggestions for 2009 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
So, this crab is eaten cold?

If I want to do a side dish of Minnesota wild rice, do we want a cold dish or warm. Makes a difference what recipe to search for. There are lots of recipes out there when you search for wild rice + crab, but I figure we want the crab to be "pure" and not mixed with pineapple (ugh), walnuts, etc.

We never use our 30 year old cook kit...too big to haul around. When the weather warms again I'll try to see if a one pound propane thing will bring the pot full of water up to boil with our little gas thing we never tried out but haul around.

A bib contest. How fun. This must be a messy meal. We are so ignorant.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I have never eaten them warm. Basically, you cook and either dip them in ice water to cool and stop the cooking, or, if you are a wait and eat person, pop in the fridge to cool down.

We can do all kinds of different things, based on others experience and tastes.. no rules!

Except that we need to do quick clean up LOL! Yes, eating it out of the shell can get very messy. You have the crabs natural juices, and the water that has leached into the legs.

The juice starts to stink within.. oh, 5 mins of release. The raccoons will be lurking. Seagulls will be circling.

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Quote:
As far as the cost of the crab, I will call a week or so before hand and find out what market price is. Since the crabs will be live, I will have to collect from each participant just before the feed and run down and get them. Plan on about 40 bucks or so per couple. I'll have a better idea when we get closer.

I fed 3 folks in 2006 for about 50 bucks, and the meal consisted of crab and cocktail sauce, with a side salad and bread. That's all.
Or we could all rent crab nets and do like Joy and crab off the docks. We even have a burner that would heat the water and cook them right on the docks.

Yes, Gina, nothing is better than cooling the cooked crab down a little with the cold water but then while they are still hot using melted butter. We once had a feast of crab that we caught that day of 25 crabs between 5 people. Boy did we get full. Then we had crab omlets the next morning and crab salad for lunch. Our friends went back to MO thinking that is how people in OR eat all the time. I wish.

Oysters may not be in full form at that time of year but if you ask the fishing boats, they may have picked up a load of prawns or something else special that week.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, I wouldn't count on very many crabs off the dock and I don't think they'd let you cook there.

Any way it was about 4 years ago when I last crabbed off the dock in Bandon. Bill and I were there for an hour or 2 and got one legal sized crab from the dock, of course this year could be a bumper crop.

Bill & I were fortunate that he had made friends with some neighboring campers who had a boat and set pot out in the bay. They came by and got us so we could set our pot in the bay. I don't remember now how many crabs we had but it seems to me that we had about 10. We invited another camper friend over to share our crab dinner which we ate warm with a salad and corn on the cob.

If we were to go crabbing off the dock we might need to spend most of the day there and return to the campground mid afternoon to clean and cook our catch for an early crab dinner.

I don't have a crab pot but they do rent them near the dock where I think you also have to get license at a minimal cost. Any way I'm going to look into crabbing probably on July 8 after I've settled in my campsite on the 7th. I'll have the skinny on it for anyone interested.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:30 PM   #25

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
An Oregon shellfish license is required for crabbing. The fee is $6.50 for an Oregon resident and $16.50 for a non-resident. This website has lots of good info: http://www.coos-bay.net/license.html

Another necessity for the crab feast is lots of newspapers to catch the mess.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #26

Trailer: 1997 Casita Patriot
Is the 2009 date set?

Cheers!

[quote]Humm let's see... fun, sun, food, making memories, bonfires, beer exchange, bike rides, walks on the beach, shopping in old town, Fish&Chips, fudge ....

Okay... I'll (un)Organize the Craft Beer Exchange, as an "opener" event

Attachment 16276
Julianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Is the 2009 date set?
Cheers!
Julianne... for what? The Oregon Gathering? It's in the topic title here: 2009 Oregon Gathering Info. In fact it's in the subtitle for the entire topic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	OR_Gathering1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	16667

If you're asking about individual events within the gathering... well, the Beer Exchange will be on Thursday - early evening. When we get closer to the actual event, Nancy will post an itinerary.

Hope this helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I thought that this thread was about Ideas and Suggestions for the next rally. The only thing I've seen mentioned here is 27 posts about eating crabs. Don't get me wrong, nobody loves crab more than I do, but this thread seems to be "stuck on crab!" Isn't there anything else, ideas and suggestions-wise, besides the crab fest? Just curious.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I thought that this thread was about [b]Ideas and Suggestions for the next rally. The only thing I've seen mentioned here is 27 posts about eating crabs. Don't get me wrong, nobody loves crab more than I do, but this thread seems to be "stuck on crab!" Isn't there anything else, ideas and suggestions-wise, besides the crab fest? Just curious.
Greg,
Why not Grayland again? It was too bad more eggers didn't come. It was a great perfect weekend. Those who did come all had a great time.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #30

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
My only suggestion would be to put people's screen name on their nametags because I don't "know" a lot of people by their real names, [b]only what I see when they post.
Would it be too much trouble to capture each person's avitar on the nametag as well?
Old 11-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #31

Registry
Greg, I am working on an invitation and web page for the crab feed and will post about it and move the posts when I am finished.

I am in the process of bringing a new baby home right now. (It barks and poops on the floor) so I am a little tied up with that, but it will be done soon!

Meanwhile, what ideas do you have for other events? Post them here!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #32

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Gina D, Hope you enjoy your new furry child! They are a bit of work, but they are truly a labor of love.

As far as another Grayland Beach SP trip...I'm all for it, although I haven't seen any activity on the WA State get together thread in some time now. Maybe it just needs to be reawakened. I'm still open to exploring other venues. Some folks have suggested going east of the mountains in Spring as a hedge against the unsettled weather we usually get that time of year. Others have expressed desires to keep it over on the west side to cut down on travel expenses. Both are valid arguements, but the topic sort of fell off the radar. If there is still any interest, (not to steal any thunder away from the Oregon trip which this post is about,) feel free to express your desires, concerns and suggestions on the WA State thread.

Greg
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #33

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Gina,

Are you still coming to the Oregon Gathering? What will happen to the Crab Feed?

We landlocked people were looking forward to this since we have never participated in such a thing.

Also I have been spending hours designing my crab bib (actually an apron) and was going to make extra adult bibs for people who didn't have one.

Take care. Have to go look at an atlas to see where you are. Hope you can be in Oregon in July.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #34

Registry
Nancy, I am afraid with my new situation, I can not reliably say that I can put that together. Maybe someone else would like to take it over?

I most likely will NOT be attending the rally
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #35

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15 ft
who wants to do a giant crab feed?

I'm in and I have a large pot. (but no burner) I had never heard of cleaning them first and I've been eating crab fresh from the ocean (mouth of the Columbia) all my life. It makes sense to clean them first so I look forward to learning a new method.
Cathy
Cathy Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #36

Quote:
. And since you will be ordering the crab, will you be ordering any oysters? They have some wonderful oyster farms just north of there.
And oysters you can cook right on the grill. Wait till the shell pops open and then dig them out and dip in butter. YUUUMMMMMM!!!!
I can bring my portable grill.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #37

Quote:
I have never eaten them warm. Basically, you cook and either dip them in ice water to cool and stop the cooking, or, if you are a wait and eat person, pop in the fridge to cool down.
I've eaten them warm. They taste great that way. I like some melted garlic butter for the crab. Sourdough bread goes well with the meal and a good Pinot Gris.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #38

Registry
Well, I am afraid I am not going to be able to make it up this year due to work commitments.

SOOOOO.... crab feed is either cancelled, or.. it would be nice if someone would like to take it over since there is so much interest in it?

Linda?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #39

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1982
Gina-

Crab feed or no Crab feed we are going to miss you. Lets keep our fingers crossed for 2010.

Ellen B.
BuzzardsBurro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2009 oregon gathering