Ok, first timer's ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ok, since it's a little early to find out what the actual weather will be when we are there for the Rally, I was wondering if some of you old rally pro's would tell us first timers what kind of weather you have had in past years. What about wind? Bugs?

Any must brings?, Must see's? Must do's?

For the other first timers/newbies if you think of a question, jump in and ask....... Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nancy will be sending out an e-mail later to everyone that's registered reminding everyone of things to bring. We've had the gambit of weather. Last year it was cool .. a few sprinkles in the mornings, rain at night, but no damp spirits! First year out of five like that. The second year it was HOT. So, typical Oregon weather... you get what you get.

Fortunately, there's usually a breeze at the beach so mosquitoes aren't much of a problem, but bring bug spray just in case. We don't need screen rooms because slugs don't fly! If I was to tell you to bring one thing, it would be a bicycle. The park is quite large and you won't want to walk A Loop to C Loop more than twice. But you can bike everywhere. The campground is actually a bit inland, so the bike makes it faster/easier to get to the water... and the lighthouse.

See this topic too: Attractions & Things to Do
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks Donna, I figured info would come out about things for the Rally. I can hang with weather changes, I live in Colorado. Don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

Slug's? Ewwww. Well at least the dogs will be entertained. Thanks Again, Robin
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
slugs are fun..

I really enjoyed last year. "mild" would be the perfect term.

Despite the rain at nite.. (who cares, thats what we bought rolling roofs for) it was very comfortable and only a light jacket or hoody was needed to be plenty warm.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #5

Gina, I am at the age that I prefer cooler.................. If ya know what I mean . Robin
Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Here on Whidbey Island we are slug-huggers, and practice catch & release slug management.

We've learned that slugs play an important part of the ecology of native habitat.. and as we all know, they love urban-ized gardens too.

Everyone has their slug stories. One guy I know thoroughly hates slugs. A long yellow banana slug once cost him about $20,000. Slipping on the slimy critter as he hurriedly skipped down wet steps, he ended up with a double-fracture of his leg. No health insurance... out of work 8 weeks.

Still, catch & release is easy... just go out on a damp evening. Wear gloves. Pick 'em up 'n put 'em in a bucket. Then walk down the street away from any gardens. Release. If'n there are any ducks or crows nearby, they'll love 'em. Otherwise the slugs will slither into the woods, eat mushrooms, and make great forest compost.

Long live banana slugs!!!

LOL

Oh, I meant to add: THANKS for starting this thread about what to expect in Bandon. We are newbies there too and any info is helpful. Nice to hear that mozzies weren't a problem, but that must have been a dry season. I wonder what they're like this year???!!!
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #7

HeathGal, your Welcome at our site any time to catch your friends......................... Just make sure they go home with you. . I don't hate them as long as they don't fall out of trees! But I don't care to be stepping on them either.

As for this post, hopefully others will think of things they want to ask. Or things they want to mention (like the slugs!) Robin
Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 PM   #8

Registry
There is a hefty army of racoon's that do slug patrol when campers aren't leaving them goodies to pilfer.

Slugs are very useful. If you have to trek to the bathroom in the morning, you don't need to use precious energy lifting your head and opening your eyes wide to find it.

Just slump down, keep your eyes halfway open stance.. and follow the slug trails.

PS, leaving the cat at home will prevent major slug sighting trauma.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #9

Registry
Old 06-19-2008, 10:22 PM   #10

Geeeeeee, can't wait to see what my dog's are gonna think of those! This will be interesting........

I have a question though, Every year the weather is different, Right? So hopefully every year there aren't slugs, Right? LOL.............
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I think last year, we didn't see a single slug at the event. It was dry enough that slugs don't like it. We did see lots of mosquito's, squirrels, a raccoon or two and lots of birds. I like the video of the slugs Gina. I don't think you need to worry about them too much Robin. Now your dogs might like to meet a skunk which like to come around the campgrounds.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:06 PM   #12

Registry
I had a Springer Spaniel that LOVED to go scoop slugs up under her nose and flip them into the air like a ball. It was a hoot, and horrifying to watch.

I miss that dog. Except for when she did that.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab

That is absolutely DISGUSTING!!!!! I'm glad I'm in a trailer and not a tent and I am NOT going barefoot!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:21 PM   #14

Trailer: 1998 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / Red F150 X-Cab
Quote:
I think last year, we didn't see a single slug at the event. It was dry enough that slugs don't like it. We did see lots of mosquito's, squirrels, a raccoon or two and lots of birds. I like the video of the slugs Gina. I don't think you need to worry about them too much Robin. Now your dogs might like to meet a skunk which like to come around the campgrounds.

Ask Gina about the magic recipe for washing dogs who get involved with skunks! I have a pack of supplies in a ziplock bag that stays in the trailer just in case!
Lisa M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:44 PM   #15

Registry
1 gallon warmish water
1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1 cup dish washing liquid (Old husband tale says it has to be "Dawn" dish washing liquid, but I found that just about any kind works)

Do not premix, it is only effective for about 1/2 hour before it's magic healing powers are defunct.

Pre wet dog with warm water. Soak dog thoroughly in concoction. Sponge it on thick and let it get down to the skin.

Let dog sit for 15 mins (If you can LOL!) and rinse.

Walla.. unstinky dog.. skunky smell never to return.

You really have more to worry about with racoons than slugs. You can get out of the way of a slug.. they aren't exactly swift when in attack mode. The coons at the park are people savy and can be aggressive, so you want to watch with your dogs. If they are chasers, it's best to bring them in at nite and keep an eye on them while they are tied up.

I had them all around and trying to get UNDER my tent the first year I went. They climbed on and scratched my car last year.

and Lisa, I don't want to hear any complaints from a state that sports THIS fine creature ... that could wear a saddle.

uck.. give me slugs any day. This is the king of ugly!
Attached Thumbnails
JerusalemCRICKET5.jpg  
Old 06-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #16

All I can say is this is gonna be interesting. I have Doxie's and they are hunters by nature. But they are always on leashes so I will have some sense of control.......... ( yeah, right) . Coon's don't bother me, so much, I can at least see them. When we owned a resort, we had a wild turkey decide to stay............. I said, Oh NO! But the guest were like don't be mean, let the turkey stay.......Fast forward a week or two........... They finally agreed with me. Only after the " darn" thing got on top of several coaches and walked around all night. I swear I didn't put him up there . He was cute until he decided to walk around poooooooping on their roofs.................. LOL

Oh Gina, bring the cat so it can do slug patrol for us

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Speaking of which, Gina, are you coming now? I see your spot on the map is still white. Did a FGR get it or will the gate from B to A be lost forever?
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM   #18

Registry
I am not coming. There will be a gate keeper.. stay tuned!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Gina... With that much "Hydrogen Peroxide" in the mix do you end up with a "Bleached Blond" dog??? The only time I ever saw a cat take a bath was in "Tomato Juice"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 PM   #20

Dh and I were talking this weekend and he reminded me that last time we were in Oregon 2001, we couldn't pump our own gas............ (not that I minded) But it just throws you, it's been so long since I had full service gas pumps that I just marveled at the service. Is that still the way it's done? Thanks Robin

Tags
2008 oregon gathering