05 crv towing information! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: Shannon
Trailer: In the market
Washington
05 crv towing information wanted!

Hello, I’m brand new to the site and have been overwhelmed with information that I’ve been finding in relation to my questions. So let’s dive right in.

I’m the proud owner of an 05 Honda CR-V with ~160,000miles on it. I’m on the hunt to find a trailer that I can live out of and tow behind my CR-V as I’m a seasonal worker in the PNW and am simply tired of moving into a new place every 6 months. It seems the 13’ scamp has been a safe, legal and reliable option for many people with my limited towing capacity. I will have the trailer parked most of the time so it will most likely not be making many long distance trips.

I am open to any trailer options that will work in my situation, not just the scamp. I have even looked into some 10’ fiberglass trailers as I am very easy going, mainly just looking for a comfy bed and area to cook food.

The main things I have been researching and would be extremely grateful for recommendations on are towing hitch options, whether or not an electric braking system would be required for whichever trailer I decide to go with, and any other additions that may help save some ware and tare on my CR-V.

I will also be traveling with everything I own which I have estimated to probably be ~300lbs. I will be purchasing a Thule box for the top of my CR-V for extra storage of excess gear.

I am open to any and all information to help me make this dream a reality! Thank you!
Shboes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
You should be able to tow a 13'er on the ball mount. Electric brakes would be an important safety feature I would recommend; if a trailer lacks brakes but has a square plate with 4 holes behind the wheel, a brake kit can be added without switching axles.

You could also tow a Weiscraft, like the one in WA posted today for sale on this forum. Or a Boler or Trillium or Happier Camper.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 AM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The vintage Trailswest Campsters and the Hunter and Compaq trailers will also work. Those have popup tops of varying lengths. Lower the top in the winter on the cold nights and you have less volume to heat. Raise it up on warm days to get lots of air movement through the screened zippered window openings.

I pull a Campster with my Honda Element. I chose it because it was light enough for the car. The CRV and Element use the same hitch and share the same chassis and engine.

As to putting brakes on the Campster...not with the axle type on it but the weight is not that heavy for absolutely needing trailer brakes.

Not sure if the 2005 CRV has an easy to plug in trailer light wiring harness. My 2006 Element did not, it was quite a few hours chore to run a power wire to it from the engine compartment and then splice into the wires at the tail light. Took two of us to get the wire threaded through and along the chassis. But years other than mine seem to have had a much simpler connection without needing a power wire run to the trailer light modules. You should research what you need for it specific to your model and year.

As to the hitch, there is one ready made that will bolt right in. That was a relatively easy installation. You can get them from Uhaul. Nicely made and very strong. Absolutely no modification needed it fits right into the holes in the car. They will install it but it is not a difficult job for DIY. I ordered one from Etrailer and when I opened the box it had the Uhaul label on it. Price is reasonable from Uhaul.

By the way, the older 13' Scamps are lighter in weight than the newer ones so you might want to take that into consideration and look for an older model in good shape. There is a Scamp Owners specific forum with more information about that.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If all you need is a bed and galley, a basic 13' Scamp or any of numerous similar brands will fit the bill. They will push the 1500# tow rating of your CR-V, though. Trailer brakes and an auxiliary transmission fluid cooler are necessary along with the usual hitch and 7-pin wiring. Not all 13' trailers have brakes, and in some cases, a whole new axle may be required to add them.

You didn't mention a bathroom. Will you have facilities available? Adding a wet bath and associated plumbing, water heater, etc. will push the loaded weight well last 1500#. Most 13' trailers do not have a bath, but it is available on newer Scamp 13's.

The other factor to consider is climate. Small trailers like these have minimal insulation, maybe R4, single pane windows, and (in bath models) exposed plumbing underneath. They are not really suitable for extended use in sub-freezing or extremely hot weather. If you have electricity, you can extend the climate range with a small AC unit and/or electric space heater.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
As far as a toilet, a nice portable one is great because you can empty it in a gas station toilet easily.
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: Scamp 16
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave View Post
As far as a toilet, a nice portable one is great because you can empty it in a gas station toilet easily.
I just cannot imagine myself lugging a portapoti through a gas station to empty it. Do you ask the owner first. The gas stations offers the rest rooms as convenience to its customers, not to someone who wishes to get rid of thier weeks waste. It is not offered for that purpose. Just my thoughts. Carl
Carlcivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ditto.
That's what sani-dumps are for.
Or you can hold it until you get home.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlcivi View Post
I just cannot imagine myself lugging a portapoti through a gas station to empty it. Do you ask the owner first. The gas stations offers the rest rooms as convenience to its customers, not to someone who wishes to get rid of thier weeks waste. It is not offered for that purpose. Just my thoughts. Carl
I have an onboard blackwater tank and so no "dog" in this fight, but it would seem no more of a problem than using the grassy area and/or the wastebaskets near the pumps to dispose of animal wastes.

A Thetford 135 holds about the same as a single flush by volume. You carry in only half of the unit, not as large as an average briefcase. (about 1'X1'X6") The spout design allows it to empty without making a mess or contacting any waste, which leaves the stall a LOT cleaner than many I have seen.

When done with respect, both practices are widely accepted and reasonably sanitary.

Of course if one is "anally retentive", a couple gallons might seem like a years worth!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have an onboard blackwater tank and so no "dog" in this fight, but it would seem no more of a problem than using the grassy area and/or the wastebaskets near the pumps to dispose of animal wastes.

A Thetford 135 holds about the same as a single flush by volume. You carry in only half of the unit, not as large as an average briefcase. (about 1'X1'X6") The spout design allows it to empty without making a mess or contacting any waste, which leaves the stall a LOT cleaner than many I have seen.

When done with respect, both practices are widely accepted and reasonably sanitary.

Of course if one is "anally retentive", a couple gallons might seem like a years worth!
So I guess you would ask the owner if it is OK then? Hey listen , I have nothing against the portapoti , I have two, 2 1/2 gal and a 5 gal. I always dumped them in my own bathroom or in a septic tank at my property I had in the mountains. Or at a truck stop dump station if i was traveling. If there is a spill at a dump station there is a hose and a drain to clean it up. I would not let my child anywhere near where the dump stations are, he or she would stay in the car. If there is a mishap in a public rest room and then the unsuspected child is exposed to a clogged toilet and a mess.
I have seen it, and i do not like it. If you dump in a restroom, there is a good chance you not going to clean up if you have mishap, B/C you do not have any cleaning material with you. I never heard of or seen a portapoty that only holds a gallon of waste. Thats the way I feel about it. So I guess if a bear goes in the woods I can go on my lawn, or better yet on my neighbors lawn. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:37 PM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: Currently shopping
New York
Carl, you don't lug the whole toilet to the rest room, just the small waste tank maybe 2 gallons. What is the problem with that??
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #11

Arizona
Registry
05 crv towing information!

Hope we won't derail this inquiry about towing a 13' trailer with a CR-V by repeating old... err... conversations about toilets. [emoji6]

Here's one of many previous threads on the subject, which has been debated thoroughly and passionately.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...let-75646.html
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #12

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hope we won't derail this newcomer's inquiry about 13' trailers with a repetition of old... err... conversations about toilets.

Here's one of many old threads on the subject, which has been debated thoroughly.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...let-75646.html
You are right Jon, it is easy to solve the issue of toilets as there are a great many options. Besides if you are going out to work, which this person is, it won't be in full time use.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #13

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Well said. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It is a factor in why some Wal Marts have banned overnighting.

Nothing is wrong with emptying in a restroom, until something goes wrong. Most of us have witnessed more than we care to. I do like what I've seen about 'cassette' models.

Try to leave it a little better than you found it. End of Sermon.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 PM   #14

Washington
Thank you for the info everyone! I am learning lots about making this project a reality. I will be parked at the base of the ski mountain I work at in the winter time and will have access to showers and toilets there. So wherever possible I plan to remove any unnecessary facilities to cut weight and increase storage space. I am considering a portapoti for emergency purposes only while traveling. I am doing everything possible to cut back on weight so I am not planning to keep water stocked on my trailer while it is in tow.

I will look into the other trailers that were mentioned that are similar to an older scamp. As of now it is simply time to make a purchase when something right becomes available.I will hope to be living out of a trailer by October!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:29 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shboes View Post
I will be parked at the base of the ski mountain I work at in the winter time and will have access to showers and toilets there.

You've discussed this with the ski mountain operator and arranged to pay them for access to the showers and toilets?
Hot water isn't free, nor are maintenance workers. Parking is likely not free either.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #16

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You've discussed this with the ski mountain operator and arranged to pay them for access to the showers and toilets?
Hot water isn't free, nor are maintenance workers. Parking is likely not free either.

Affirm, these details have been sorted out. They do not as of now offer electricity or facilities in the parking area so parking remains free. It is a small family oriented mountain and us employees look out for each other. Even if it means helping maintenance by vacuuming the lodge for a shower now and then.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #17

Arizona
Registry
A couple of other challenges to think through... How will you heat the trailer? How will you store your food? Both can be a challenge without electricity.

What kinds of temperatures are typical at this location?
Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 AM   #18

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
A couple of other challenges to think through... How will you heat the trailer? How will you store your food? Both can be a challenge without electricity.

What kinds of temperatures are typical at this location?

I have been considering installing a small wood pellet stove as my heat source for efficiency purposes. However there are options up in the air for storing my food on warm days. In the winter nights can get down to single digits but remain around freezing during the day. I am considering a simple cooler with ice for when the temperatures rise as ice is accessible at a gas station down the road from where I’m planning on parking in November-April
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shboes View Post
I’m the proud owner of an 05 Honda CR-V with ~160,000miles on it. I’m on the hunt to find a trailer that I can live out of and tow behind my CR-V
A towing capacity of 1,500 pounds is pretty marginal even for 13' Scamp IMO...
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #20

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Housing is very expensive in ski areas, and seasonal employees are hard to find and house. I've seen employee RVs at designated places in Vail and Breckenridge for decades. Vail bought an entire condo project for employees. Meanwhile, up to 80% of the mansions on mountainsides sit empty. As you may know, Vail has heated streets to melt snow. Nice, not for me.

Aspen has 40 "tiny house" [trailers] for employees at a campgound:
https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspe...lt-campground/
Attached Thumbnails
skicohousing-atd-010517-4.jpg  
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote