10 Things Every Fiberglass RV Owners Should Know. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
My 2 cents: always double-check your coupler/ball connection (you can feel if it's locked on correctly just by running a finger under the coupler and feeling for the bracket), make sure you cross the safety chains and check trailer lights before rolling. I also run a padlock through the coupler latch to make sure it can't pop open during travel. Have fun and welcome!

Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #16
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Make sure your fridge and cabinets are closed completely, and turn your water pump off before you roll. These could save you some BIG messes!

Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Doug Arthurs...My recomendation is to get underneath with a ballpeen hammer and create some music. Make sure you listen for any sour notes!!! Look for visable cracks while you're down under and any spots that have already been repaired too. This isn't fool proof as any fool can do it, but usually doesn't.
After inspecting and rather than painting I used a large aerosol can of Krown rust control(10bucks) to coat the frame parts under the coach. You can get the Krown spray into places a paint brush can't go!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
How do you spray paint while you are lying under a trailer?
Bobbie Mayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #18
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bobbie Mayer...I used "Undercoating" so I did it...UPSIDE DOWN!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #19
Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
These are all such great tips! For a newbie, such as myself, these tips are invaluble! I'll be taking note of these for future.
aumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #20
Name: Dave
Trailer: Seeking Bigfoot 25 RB
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
How do you spray paint while you are lying under a trailer?

You don't lay under it - you simply turn the trailer over and paint it normally! (borrowed from one of those "insert favorite ethnic joke group here" lines)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
If your in question about something have somone you know look at it, double check the ball connection to make shure it is on right.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #22
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hi Jude. My tip is to tell you to have FUN. You can get all tangled up with modifications and interior themes and buying and fretting. As long as your trailer is safe to go down the road and it's clean (your dirt is cleaner than their dirt) you can always consider it a hardsided tent... just get out and enjoy it and make memories! It doesn't have to be perfect, just perfect for you.

Safe travels
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #23
Name: Judy
Trailer: 2000 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to highrez
I made very detailed step-by-step checklists. One for getting ready to tow, one for setting up at a campsite, one for leaving a campsite, and one arriving at home. As long as I carefully check the checklist everything goes very smoothly. If you would like a copy of my checklists I will be happy to send email it to you. Also, there are other checklists posted on the forums. You can start with a list and personalize it to make it work for you.

highrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #24
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe No More .. Sob!
When I was hooking up after a large family campout, I had at least 10 people helping. 100 yards later the hitch popped up off the ball and there was a lot of excitement.

Also, when backing in you'll sometimes find helpful folk who want to guide you into your spot. Ignore them.

(Lesson: Check out your hook up yourself, even if that means you hurt someone’s feelings.)

RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #25
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
Often the latches are not secure by themselves on the very bumpy road. In addition to closing all doors, icebox/fridge, etc. make sure they are secured by anchoring to stationary anchors with bungee cords.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #26
Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Arrival and departure (mostly especially dragging up and departing): Have a checklist for both. If you have a mate (wife, child, uncle or other) divide up the chores. One person is house captain; other (usually the driver) handles the outside chores. Have two checklists. It doesn't matter much if you follow the checklist while you're doing your chores. But it does matter to have the other guy check the checklist to check that you did them. So the driver checks out that the interior is secured, turned off, closed; the inside man checks that everything outside needing unhooking or hooking up is indeed just that. This doesn't mean asking your wife if she closed a vent, retracted the doorstep, or locked the door. It means personal, sensory confirmation. And don't try to do two things at once; don't get distracted; finish what you start. For a very good example that no one ever mentions, a tongue jack half retracted will stop your progress in 10 feet if you notice the screech. If you don't you'll just put off your ojt in coldsetting steel until you arrive home or the next checkpoint. Two pairs of eyes are better than one set but they have to be used.

rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #27
Name: Mike
Trailer: 1977 13' Trillium
First- Thanks for this thread, Jude! And welcome to FGRV!
Second - Thanks everybody for the fine ideas.

I like the idea of checklists and each person checking the other persons job with the checklist (in hand). That should keep fellings from getting hurt.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
When hooking up, check it an extra time to make sure you did everything (socket is indeed all the way down on the ball, securing the tongue to the ball, attaching the wiring harness & chains). Failure to hook up properly is one of the most common errors.

The departure checklist is vital. Add to the list:
remove wheel chocks
close windows
raise or remove all support jacks
close roof vents

When backing up, for the first 100 times or so always have your partner get out and stand back there to look for obstacles and to guide you.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote