10 Things Every Fiberglass RV Owners Should Know. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
Alberta
10 Things Every Fiberglass RV Owners Should Know.

Hi, I'm new. My name is Jude. I'm a she.
I've been floating around reading the posts and thanking my lucky stars I've found this place with all this knowledge.
I am about to be, if all goes according to plan, the proud new owner of a Boler this very weekend.
Fingers crossed.
I've never owned a trailer before. I've never slept in an RV not to mention a Boler, but I've always wanted one. I love to camp, I just can't do tents anymore. And so many 'camp' grounds don't allow them anymore and I'm getting, well, I'm getting sick, sore and tired in the morning from packing to planning. So it's the end of an era and the beginning of something new.
I'm a pretty sharp cookie, but as I've said, I'm new. I don't know a lot about pluming, or wiring, welding, working with glass, or heaters, water tanks. But I'm dying to get my hands dirty and create a beauty. And get back to camping!!
So, What should I and every other owner know about a these unique trailers? Those little common sense things people ought to know better??
Please keep adding to the list.
Thanks.
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
If you have a propane frig. the trailer MUST be level to make it work.
I travel with the propane tank shut off.
After I stop to camp. I turn on the propane and light my stove, this will pull the gas through the lines to make it easier to light the propane frig.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #3

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Always disconnect the wiring from the tow vehicle when you arrive, this is a failsafe to prevent drawing down the tow vehicle battery.
DonDeutsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #4

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Not to mention driving away with it plugged in.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilityme View Post
Hi, I'm new.
I've never owned a trailer before.
So, What should I and every other owner know about a these unique trailers? Those little common sense things people ought to know better?
1. Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers and conventional trailers are more alike than they are different. Components and sub-assemblies are acquired from many of the same manufacturers. Also, many skills that were learned from tenting also apply to trailers.

2. There is no "Right" or "Wrong". There is only personal preference, and what works for YOU. Your trailer can be as simple or as complicated; or as "Stock" or "Custom" as you are comfortable with.

3. It is a good idea to practice ahead of time, when you're not under pressure and have time enough to make a few mistakes and learn how NOT to do that again. Camp in your driveway so you can use your home as "Plan B".

4. The laws of Gravity and Physics are not subject to referendum and you don't get to vote on them. For example wheels are meant to roll, and they will continue to do so if you unhitch without chocking them.

5. When using propane, a BLUE flame is vitally important. A Yellow flame means something is wrong and the quicker you extinguish it and find out WHY it was yellow, the healthier you will be and the more intact your trailer will stay.

...to be continued
Old 04-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #6

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
#1 and in my mind the most important thing to remember is; with trailering, just like with tenting, whatever drives you nuts today is going to be a fond memory tomorrow so, don't wait, laugh it off right away!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Whenever you stop for gas or at a rest stop or to eat, walk around the trailer and make sure everything still looks okay.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Be prepared to answer lots of questions about your trailer. We have had people chase us in store parking lots for a chance to talk to us about our trailer and get a tour.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #9

Trailer: Boler
Registry
Have someone you trust and knows about trailer or cars look your unit over before you tow in anywhere. Frames can become weak from years of neglect and a quick coat of paint can hide problems. Don't ask me how I know.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #10

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Doug Arthurs...My recomendation is to get underneath with a ballpeen hammer and create some music. Make sure you listen for any sour notes!!! Look for visable cracks while you're down under and any spots that have already been repaired too. This isn't fool proof as any fool can do it, but usually doesn't.
After inspecting and rather than painting I used a large aerosol can of Krown rust control(10bucks) to coat the frame parts under the coach. You can get the Krown spray into places a paint brush can't go!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #11

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Find good parts and repair shops. Arrkann has been good so far and there is a good axle shop in Spruce Grove
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Things to check

Well, besides the Buyers Check List in this website, learn from another member and be sure you are getting a clean title. Do not buy a trailer that is not titled to the person you are buying it from, not signed over but titled!

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #13

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
my thoughts-----i will simply add that when attempting to back up/in....make sure you pull ahead alot farther than you originally think you should....and you'll not need to make a zillion attempts.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #14

Name: Jude
Trailer: 1973 Honey Boler...
Alberta
Awesome. I love great lists and this will definitely give me food for thought.
I'm addicted to the this site already. I've been reading and storing all the great ideas.
Keep 'em coming.
Thanks
ceilityme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #15

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
My 2 cents: always double-check your coupler/ball connection (you can feel if it's locked on correctly just by running a finger under the coupler and feeling for the bracket), make sure you cross the safety chains and check trailer lights before rolling. I also run a padlock through the coupler latch to make sure it can't pop open during travel. Have fun and welcome!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
Make sure your fridge and cabinets are closed completely, and turn your water pump off before you roll. These could save you some BIG messes!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #17

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Doug Arthurs...My recomendation is to get underneath with a ballpeen hammer and create some music. Make sure you listen for any sour notes!!! Look for visable cracks while you're down under and any spots that have already been repaired too. This isn't fool proof as any fool can do it, but usually doesn't.
After inspecting and rather than painting I used a large aerosol can of Krown rust control(10bucks) to coat the frame parts under the coach. You can get the Krown spray into places a paint brush can't go!!!
How do you spray paint while you are lying under a trailer?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Bobbie Mayer...I used "Undercoating" so I did it...UPSIDE DOWN!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:51 PM   #19

Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
Alberta
These are all such great tips! For a newbie, such as myself, these tips are invaluble! I'll be taking note of these for future.
aumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
How do you spray paint while you are lying under a trailer?

You don't lay under it - you simply turn the trailer over and paint it normally! (borrowed from one of those "insert favorite ethnic joke group here" lines)
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote