13 Eco Newbies - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Eco
Alaska
Posts: 4
13 Eco Newbies

Hi everyone! My name is Steph, and my husband and I just inherited a 1970s 13 Eco camper from my Great-Grandparents for a wedding gift. I remember fondly staying at my grandparents house and camping out in it. Once I get a wild idea I like to run with it, so when I asked if we could have it my Grandma was quick to hand it over!

Our little scamp has been sitting down in the Louisiana bayou for just about as long as I can remember. Having been through many a hurricane and flood my dad got the floor, axel, and tires road ready and drove her up to Montana this summer.

She will be a COMPLETE remodel, the mold and elements really took a toll. Weve got all the pieces stripped out and ensolite removed (working on sanding leftover pieces). We are going to definitely be needing all the help and ideas from you seasoned remodelers, but we cant wait to really make it our own! Any suggestions of the steps to take is more than welcome!

Heres some pictures of the original, and some after her long trip up and my dads paint job attempt ! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	114189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2210.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	114190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	114191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	114192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	114193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	114194
__________________

__________________
Smithadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Congratulations of your Eco.
Do realize that many of the interior cabinets are structural and hold the walls in shape and the roof up. The real critical cabinet is the closet just inside the door. Without that support the walls will sag and any weight on the roof can cause the entire trailer to collapse.
__________________

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Eco
Alaska
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Congratulations of your Eco.

Do realize that many of the interior cabinets are structural and hold the walls in shape and the roof up. The real critical cabinet is the closet just inside the door. Without that support the walls will sag and any weight on the roof can cause the entire trailer to collapse.


Yep! We currently have it all braced with 2x4s to protect it against any snow while its torn apart. Our plan is to do ribs in it so we can expand and make the dinette area a permanent bed.

There is some sag issues already due to the neglect it had sitting out that will have to be repaired.
__________________
Smithadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Commercial Member
 
Ian G.'s Avatar
 
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Posts: 1,304
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithadventures View Post
Yep! We currently have it all braced with 2x4s to protect it against any snow while its torn apart. Our plan is to do ribs in it so we can expand and make the dinette area a permanent bed.

There is some sag issues already due to the neglect it had sitting out that will have to be repaired.
That's great to hear , if you have any questions on the "ribs" I would be happy to let you know what I did and how. Hope you get your Eco all ready and can make it to the Boler 50th Anniversary event next summer.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Ronald
Trailer: Boler 13' 1974
Ontario
Posts: 195
Registry
New Egg

Congrats on your new camper! Take your time, do it right, and enjoy many years of fun and experiences! Cheers!
__________________
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #6
Member
 
MurrayC's Avatar
 
Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Posts: 32
rebuild

The nice thing about these trailers is that they aren't that big and you don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long. Bingo thats done. On the the next.
While the thing is gutted, make sure the fiberglass on the floor and up the curved sides is good.
If needed, it is not hard to put on a new layer of glass at this point.
Look for and fill in any holes. I glassed over any holes regardless of how small on the inside and will do the same on the outside weather permitting. The Gel coat patches.
Good luck.
Go and Enjoy
__________________
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Eco
Alaska
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC View Post
The nice thing about these trailers is that they aren't that big and you don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long. Bingo thats done. On the the next.

While the thing is gutted, make sure the fiberglass on the floor and up the curved sides is good.

If needed, it is not hard to put on a new layer of glass at this point.

Look for and fill in any holes. I glassed over any holes regardless of how small on the inside and will do the same on the outside weather permitting. The Gel coat patches.

Good luck.

Go and Enjoy


Thanks for the tips! We have lots of little holes to fill for sure! And my dad excessively fiberglassed some pieces around the bottom edge but we want to make sure its water tight! Montana winters are no joke excited to see the projects start getting checked off the list!
__________________
Smithadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Cathi's Avatar
 
Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Posts: 795
What a cute camper! And getting it from the great grandparents after even using it yourself with them is really a fantastic gift. Let us know how it goes.
__________________
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: lee
Trailer: trailswest campsterl, 1996 Scamp 16 foot
Idaho
Posts: 409
restoration

Stephanie In case you aren't familiar with Ian G whose post is above just a little info as Ian will probably not toot his own horn. My wife and I have been to a few gatherings where Ian's boler was on board. Ian is truly the absolute "king" of restorations. I suggest you view his site and see what a remarkable job he has done with his Boler. He is obviously a great resource and I recommend you refer to him often. Lee and Norma
__________________
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Eco
Alaska
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Stephanie In case you aren't familiar with Ian G whose post is above just a little info as Ian will probably not toot his own horn. My wife and I have been to a few gatherings where Ian's boler was on board. Ian is truly the absolute "king" of restorations. I suggest you view his site and see what a remarkable job he has done with his Boler. He is obviously a great resource and I recommend you refer to him often. Lee and Norma


I peeked at his website and will be studying what hes done and referring back to the forum for all the help we can get. I love that there is so many experienced people that are willing to share their knowledge. Thanks for the recommendation!
__________________
Smithadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Posts: 1,315
nice

good find Stephanie

good luck

bob
__________________

__________________
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
eco


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So many confusing choices for newbies Frank G. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 21 03-16-2007 01:15 AM
OREGON 2006: Disaster Avoidance for Newbies Frederick L. Simson Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 0 06-27-2006 05:51 PM
Insurance Primer for Newbies Needed Legacy Posts Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 23 06-24-2003 02:54 PM
Tips for NEWBIES Legacy Posts General Chat 22 05-27-2003 11:13 AM
Newbies Saying "Hello!" General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.