13’ Eco Newbies - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #1

Name: Stephanie
Trailer: Eco
Alaska
13’ Eco Newbies

Hi everyone! My name is Steph, and my husband and I just inherited a 1970’s 13’ Eco camper from my Great-Grandparents for a wedding gift. I remember fondly staying at my grandparents house and camping out in it. Once I get a wild idea I like to run with it, so when I asked if we could have it my Grandma was quick to hand it over!

Our little scamp has been sitting down in the Louisiana bayou for just about as long as I can remember. Having been through many a hurricane and flood my dad got the floor, axel, and tires road ready and drove her up to Montana this summer.

She will be a COMPLETE remodel, the mold and elements really took a toll. We’ve got all the pieces stripped out and ensolite removed (working on sanding leftover pieces). We are going to definitely be needing all the help and ideas from you seasoned remodelers, but we can’t wait to really make it our own! Any suggestions of the steps to take is more than welcome!

Here’s some pictures of the original, and some after her long trip up and my dad’s paint job attempt [emoji23]! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	114189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2210.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	114190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	114191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	114192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3679.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	114193Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3761.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	362.6 KB
ID:	114194
Smithadventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Congratulations of your Eco.
Do realize that many of the interior cabinets are structural and hold the walls in shape and the roof up. The real critical cabinet is the closet just inside the door. Without that support the walls will sag and any weight on the roof can cause the entire trailer to collapse.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #3

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. View Post
Congratulations of your Eco.

Do realize that many of the interior cabinets are structural and hold the walls in shape and the roof up. The real critical cabinet is the closet just inside the door. Without that support the walls will sag and any weight on the roof can cause the entire trailer to collapse.

Yep! We currently have it all braced with 2x4’s to protect it against any snow while its torn apart. Our plan is to do ribs in it so we can expand and make the dinette area a permanent bed.

There is some sag issues already due to the neglect it had sitting out that will have to be repaired.
Old 11-29-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithadventures View Post
Yep! We currently have it all braced with 2x4’s to protect it against any snow while its torn apart. Our plan is to do ribs in it so we can expand and make the dinette area a permanent bed.

There is some sag issues already due to the neglect it had sitting out that will have to be repaired.
That's great to hear , if you have any questions on the "ribs" I would be happy to let you know what I did and how. Hope you get your Eco all ready and can make it to the Boler 50th Anniversary event next summer.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #5

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
New Egg

Congrats on your new camper! Take your time, do it right, and enjoy many years of fun and experiences! Cheers!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
rebuild

The nice thing about these trailers is that they aren't that big and you don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long. Bingo thats done. On the the next.
While the thing is gutted, make sure the fiberglass on the floor and up the curved sides is good.
If needed, it is not hard to put on a new layer of glass at this point.
Look for and fill in any holes. I glassed over any holes regardless of how small on the inside and will do the same on the outside weather permitting. The Gel coat patches.
Good luck.
Go and Enjoy
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:39 AM   #7

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC View Post
The nice thing about these trailers is that they aren't that big and you don't get stuck doing the same thing for too long. Bingo thats done. On the the next.

While the thing is gutted, make sure the fiberglass on the floor and up the curved sides is good.

If needed, it is not hard to put on a new layer of glass at this point.

Look for and fill in any holes. I glassed over any holes regardless of how small on the inside and will do the same on the outside weather permitting. The Gel coat patches.

Good luck.

Go and Enjoy

Thanks for the tips! We have lots of little holes to fill for sure! And my dad excessively fiberglassed some pieces around the bottom edge but we want to make sure it’s water tight! Montana winters are no joke [emoji28] excited to see the projects start getting checked off the list!
Old 11-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #8

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
What a cute camper! And getting it from the great grandparents after even using it yourself with them is really a fantastic gift. Let us know how it goes.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
restoration

Stephanie In case you aren't familiar with Ian G whose post is above just a little info as Ian will probably not toot his own horn. My wife and I have been to a few gatherings where Ian's boler was on board. Ian is truly the absolute "king" of restorations. I suggest you view his site and see what a remarkable job he has done with his Boler. He is obviously a great resource and I recommend you refer to him often. Lee and Norma
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #10

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Senn View Post
Stephanie In case you aren't familiar with Ian G whose post is above just a little info as Ian will probably not toot his own horn. My wife and I have been to a few gatherings where Ian's boler was on board. Ian is truly the absolute "king" of restorations. I suggest you view his site and see what a remarkable job he has done with his Boler. He is obviously a great resource and I recommend you refer to him often. Lee and Norma

I peeked at his website and will be studying what he’s done and referring back to the forum for all the help we can get. I love that there is so many experienced people that are willing to share their knowledge. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 11-30-2017, 01:15 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
nice

good find Stephanie

good luck

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco