13' Scamp bed problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
13' Scamp bed problem

As I get older, stiffer, and have less upper body strength, I find it more and more difficult to lift the bed up into the table configuration. Any ideas--other than leaving the table up and sleeping on the front bench, leaving the bed down and eating on my lap, or getting a different trailer?
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Convert the front bench into a small dinette with a table? Lots of folks have done that. Now you have the best of both. A full-time large bed and an eating area.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
As I get older, stiffer, and have less upper body strength, I find it more and more difficult to lift the bed up into the table configuration. Any ideas--other than leaving the table up and sleeping on the front bench, leaving the bed down and eating on my lap, or getting a different trailer?
Easy peasy... convert your present bed into a wraparound couch, the table is MUCH easier to put up and down, and you can even have a full 30" bunk behind with the table up when wanted.
That's a bunk,a couch and a table for two with the table in the up position, or a couch and full sized bed when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic009.JPG   Pic010.JPG  

floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #4

Registry
Donna's idea works great, here are a few pics....
Attached Thumbnails
BURRO 17WB 001.jpg   May 2009 018.jpg  

trillium unfinished 018.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2015, 09:30 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
We went to the front dinette too. I found lifting the dining room very back breaking difficult and now just leave it down. If i were to use it I would get rid of the heavy top and go with honey comb board or something like that. Splitting it into 2 pieces or hinging the 2 pieces would be an option.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #6

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
How about just leaving the bed down and getting a folding "TV Table" or two to eat off of?
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Any ideas--other than leaving the table up and sleeping on the front bench, leaving the bed down and eating on my lap, or getting a different trailer?
You might find someone to build you one of these:
Electric Table
Or if you're able, build it yourself.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I had seen the front sofa / bunks converted to a small dinette before and love it. I know that Scamp wants to keep things simple and constrain customization costs, but IMHO, this is one option that Scamp should implement.

If my skill level is sufficient, this is one mod I think I will be making in the first few years of ownership. In the meantime, I plan to leave the rear bed in bed config all the time and use a tray table while sitting on the bed or front sofa.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #9

Name: John
Michigan
Thanks!

Many thanks to you who responded to my 13' Scamp bed problems! I'll give further thought to all your suggestions.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Those dinette's are nice to have
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 AM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
For simplicity can't beat the small camp tables in a bag or that fold. Useful outside as side tables around the chairs and sufficient to eat on inside the camper.

True I'm sitting on one end on the bed and DW is on the other end at the couch but we can just pretend it is the Richie Rich mansion and we are eating on a really long dining room table (minus butler to pass the salt & pepper).

I think it does depend on how many of your meals you prepare and eat inside vs. outside. We almost always are outside and would only eat inside if weather was really pretty bad. Heck then we would mostly just snack anyway. Some nuts a couple of pieces of cheese with some crackers, no real need for a formal table. Others are more inclined to inside meal preparation and eating so a second table is a great addition.

Scamp does offer a side dinette model with a table for 2 in part as a response to boomers who don't need bunks for kids anymore (and make the grandkids sleep in a tent outside)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I had seen the front sofa / bunks converted to a small dinette before and love it. I know that Scamp wants to keep things simple and constrain customization costs, but IMHO, this is one option that Scamp should implement.

If my skill level is sufficient, this is one mod I think I will be making in the first few years of ownership. In the meantime, I plan to leave the rear bed in bed config all the time and use a tray table while sitting on the bed or front sofa.
Scamp does offer front dinette at the custom deluxe level...
Old 07-28-2015, 02:40 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Scamp does offer front dinette at the custom deluxe level...

Yes, what I am looking for is the same kind of front table in the 16 Std as in the 16 DLX Layout A.. I just can't bring myself to spend money and carry the unneeded weight of all that wood (even if it does look nice).
Might well be the best option for the OP.. a new trailer.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:59 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Yes, what I am looking for is the same kind of front table in the 16 Std as in the 16 DLX Layout A.. I just can't bring myself to spend money and carry the unneeded weight of all that wood (even if it does look nice).
Might well be the best option for the OP.. a new trailer.
There's that fiberglass urban myth again, anyway it is a very easy conversion for a standard, which can be done in one day with ordinary hand tools.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:31 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
There's that fiberglass urban myth again, anyway it is a very easy conversion for a standard, which can be done in one day with ordinary hand tools.
Well the only data I have seen on the weight (real world spreadsheet) has only one 16 DLX and it was a few hundred lbs more.. but who knows why. The 13 DLXs were actually lighter I think, so I will accept your word about it being a myth.

The money however is not a myth.. and still an obstacle.

When I get ready to convert the sofa/bunk to a table I might have to call on you for advice. None of the user mods I have seen are as nice as the one in the DLX that you showed above and I would like to do as good a job as possible, maybe even keep it so one bunk could be made up.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #16

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
I tossed my table for the same reason - too hard on the back, and the hinge connected to the wall was distressed, ready to break.

I use a three piece folding varnished wood insert that fits between the two sofas. The three pieces are hinged so that each piece folds into the center piece. Unfolded, they are perfect bed foundation. Folded, it's width fits perfectly between the two sofas. It serves as a bench or a "coffee table".
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:27 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Well the only data I have seen on the weight (real world spreadsheet) has only one 16 DLX and it was a few hundred lbs more.. but who knows why. The 13 DLXs were actually lighter I think, so I will accept your word about it being a myth.

The money however is not a myth.. and still an obstacle.

When I get ready to convert the sofa/bunk to a table I might have to call on you for advice. None of the user mods I have seen are as nice as the one in the DLX that you showed above and I would like to do as good a job as possible, maybe even keep it so one bunk could be made up.
The money side can also fool ya. It depends on what options you choose.
The Deluxe interior does cost more but it comes with some niceties and choices not available on the Standard. Also some options are included which are extra cost on the standard. Depending on what you want, the end cost of the Deluxe option can be mitigated by nearly half.
My advice is to price it both ways when you get down to purchase, then make your decision.
Unless of course you really like one over the other, then buy what you like the best.
Honestly if there is a bit of a budget stretch involved then buy what you really like then add a couple of items later.
You can't easily convert a standard to a deluxe, but you can save on the intial investment by getting A/C prep (free I think) instead of A/C or get the awning later for example. There's a couple thousand$ postponed.

After eleven years My Scamp Deluxe has paid for itself repeatedly and I have never looked at it even once and thought... If only I had....
Old 07-28-2015, 05:09 PM   #18

Name: Bea
Florida
Registry
Great ideas, I never thought such a conversion can be done. Love that idea. The table is heavy - not sure why it was made like that - there's got to be a lightweight alternative that would be strong enough to eat/sleep on. Though I understand price is also a consideration Scamp most likely needed to keep in mind. Anyone have any ideas on economical lightweight table/sleep board? Ours is a bit warped and will need changing out until we get brave enough to convert front bench into dinette.
Beak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #19

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
See my comment above about a 3-piece folding sleep board...it was hand-made.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I think the table may be particle board which is much denser than plywood or even real wood in most cases. Denser also means heavier.

Plywood cut same size as table and of same thickness would probably be lighter, could possibly use plywood sized one thickness down also and still have enough strength. But that is a guess since I have never tried.

Even without the nice box seat across the back one could do a stand table (center pole) using the existing table cut down or used as a pattern to trace. Then just lay a board with small blocks to hold it in place across the back. Couple of cushions and your in business.

Or worst case you have to use a front board to support that back piece. Either way painted white it would probably look fairly decent, provide the lighter table and even allow two people to nap without making the bed.

Just for the record I'm talking about making a quick version of this layout, can always come back later to make it nicer.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp